ASDA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ASDA Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

2.1

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled in an online application, had a situational judgement test. Attended Asda magic event (old Kent road London) - which was the biggest joke I've ever experienced, really stupid situation where they assess personality, the loud obnoxious ones always try to outshine everyone and it's difficult to get your bit in edgewise. Personality doesn't determine the kind of worker you are. I will not be applying there again. Don't even bother unless you're an obnoxious loud person.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Lincoln, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

bad interview process due to the lack of preparation time and notice given by asda for the interviews and assessments. too much work required to progress up the ladder. progressing isnt really worth it because of the masive responsibility and the lowish rates of pay

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ASDA (Tamworth, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

First you get invited to an assessment where you are made to do stupid things. Found the assesssment itself quite cliquey. managers seemed to already have favourites. Told there were lots of temp jobs going, told different later. If you pass the Assessment they still mess you about by making you attend another interview, where the game changes and they say they have either no vacancies or few with a poor shift pattern. You then get an email two hours after this second interview which you cant reply to telling you you have not been successful.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know what kitchen appliance i would be (ice breaker) stupid nonsense.   Answer Question

Ambient Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ASDA (Telford, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I filled out an online application form, where i was asked how i would handle different scenarios, it was quite lengthy but fairly easy as it was more about common sense.
    I then received an email a couple of days later asking me to book myself in to an ASDA magic event.
    I was quite nervous about this but once i got there i felt fine, there were seven in my group and two section leaders and the big boss (Cant remember her exact role title but she was above the store manager) she was really lovely though. We were all given name badges and given a tour of ASDA, then took back upstairs. Our first task was to stand in a circle and tell the person to our left our name and a bit about ourselves, then what our favourite type of tree is and why (I said monkey puzzle because it reminds me of seeing my auntie as we always drive past one when we go down to Gloucester) and why we wanted to work for ASDA.
    Then we played a game of bingo where we were given a piece of paper with different things on (Roasted marshmallows, gone trick or treating, have facebook, do you like cats ect) and you had to go around the room and tick off as many as you could by asking everyone the questions.
    Then we were split into two groups and had to come up with a way to raise money for a charity (Were were given a piece of paper with four different charities that we could choose from) Our charity was holding a Halloween party at an after school club for low income families. Then our last task was to go back to the shop floor and find good and bad points about the stock on the shelves and how things were displayed and what was displayed, then present it back to the group.
    It took just under 3 hours in total (Should have been 2 hours so make sure you don't have any plans straight after).
    I then received a phone call two days later asking me to come back to 'have a go' and a 1-1 interview. The have a go thing lasted 30 minutes, i didn't really end up doing much except put some stock cubes out because the section leader that i was paired up with was really chatty, so we just ended up talking about the job really. Then i was taken up to my 1-1 interview with a department manager. He asked me about six questions, but i think he was more interested in my personality than how i answered because he didn't really write much down.
    That lasted about an hour, he then offered me the job there and then, but wasn't sure of my start date but he would get me on a two day welcome thing on this Thursday.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Completed online assessment. Invited to group interview. Completed a number of 'get to know each other' exercises (1) where is the furthest place you have ever travelled? (2) what is your favourite thing about ASDA. Given team tasks - decide how to divide a pot of money. - Store walk about to identify seasonal deals.

Invited to second interview (approx 3 days later) 'Have a go' experience. (Working in George clothing dept.) and a one-to-one interview with a manager. (Tell me a time where you have not gotten along with someone at work, how did you address it? Tell me a time where you have had your customer service skills challenged. Tell me a time when someone has identified a weakness in you - how did you react?)

Offered position approx 2 weeks after second interview. (Long wait!) Induction 4.5 hours, then a further 2.5 hours of legal training, 2.5 checkout training. Whole day training on counter.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with a challenging customer?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

I thought I didn't have the job by the end due to my treatment/ the way I got judged.
    It was a Magic Session.
    We did a poster activity where we had to write stuff about Asda values, in order to advertise them.

Human Resources Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ASDA (Leeds, England (UK)).

Interview

Very positive experience, the phone interview and then the following group interviews/assessment day were challenging and enjoyable and the communication throughout the process was incredibly positive. dsfd dfwerf weff FER EDWFSDF ERWRT EWFFDS ASERE

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Head of service integration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ASDA (Leeds, England (UK)) in January 2010.

Interview

Employee referral shortened the process which otherwise can be lengthy as you are sifted against other candidates, agencies do not have much sway compared to employee referral which ticks some of the boxes

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiate!

Home Shopping Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockton-on-Tees, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ASDA (Stockton-on-Tees, England (UK)) in October 2009.

Interview

Asda has an online recruitment website which it now uses, and does not issue application forms anymore. If you pass the initial papersift, you are invited to an 'Asda Magic' day where you take part in a group screening.
    In the group screening, you have several tasks to complete such as pairing with another candidate and you have to explain your background to them in 30 seconds. After that, there is a group exercise, such as building a tower out of balloons. This tests your ability to work as part of a team, and your ability to be a leader as well. You will then go onto the shop floor to 'Have a go' where you are expected to interact with the customer. This lasts about 20 minutes, and is comparable to slave labour.
    If you are successful at this point, you are invited to an interview. The interview will normally take place in a small secluded room, and the interview can be quite intimidating. The manager conducting the interview will take your uniform sizing at this point, and may or may not tell you if you have been successful or not.

Interview Questions

• The interview can be quite intimidating, and the manager conducting the interview will ask questions where you will have to answer with life experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiating. Asda is a company that tells you how it is and expects you to like it, or leave. Managers within the company are not afraid to tell you where the door is.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)) in August 2011.

Interview

You turn up for a 'reality day'. There are 6 people assessing you throughout a 4 hour process. This consists of a presentation, 1:1 interview, competence test in a live situation amongst other things. If you are succesful, they will contact you within a week. You then have a 2:1 interview with a Store Manager and a People Services Manager. If you are successful, they will contact you within a week with the outcome/offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your best friend..   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate 2k on top of my salary, also a fast track promotion depending on my performance. Ensure you ask them for time to think, ring back about an hour later with what you would like and see what they say.