ASDA Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2018

2.1

391 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview was degrading, it was a group interview but nobody asked us about our ability to do the job, we literally just had to act out a silly "bad customer service scenario" just so they could tell us "this isn't how we do things at asda"
    Nobody questioned us on experience or anything relevant, i was offered a job at the end which i accepted but when i got to work it wasn't the job I'd applied for, i lasted less than a week before i couldn't mentally or physically handle it. Great if you need money quickly and aren't having luck with other jobs, but so much if you can afford to be picky.
    I turned down 2 other job offers for this one, what a mistake that was!

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Group interview first, we were put into pairs and we had to know about eachother and then present it to the group. Then split up into groups and had to play jenga and the tallest tower wins, then we got to have a go at the shop floor (20 min ) then 1-1 interview and go home. I was accepted however at the moment they don't have space in the areas I wanted but they will let me know if something does come up.

Interview Questions

• If a customer wanted a specific item and we didn't have in stock what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASDA (Worcester, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online sending my cv and submitting an online assessment which asked some questions about senario's and which from the list would be the BEST thing to do and which would be the WORST thing to do for each senario. I then got an email asking me to follow the link to book onto an Asda Magic event. At these events you are with about 15 to 20 other people and you do activities together while being observed. It is all good fun and really relaxed. If you just sit there not getting involved you can forget being hired. Retail is all about customer service so if your too timid to talk in a small group you are basically saying you would be too shy to walk up to a customer to ask them if they need any help. So get involved but try not to be to bosy and take over. You then get invited to a job interview and brief work trial. The interview was a chat as I think the activities on the event answers the questions they want to know about you such as if you adapt to changing needs, if you can follow a set of instructions and if you are confident talking to strangers. Best job interview process I have ever had. However I quit the job I was offered after 4 days.....the worst job and the worst company I have ever come across.....next to no training......no one tells you what is going on......they dont issue you with a uniform to start with....it can take months so you have to buy suitable clothes to meet their approval.....you have to put credit on your pass key to buy a drink ect in the canteen.....lose you passkey and when it is handed in your credit will have been stolen and spent by someone.....if your card is not handed in you lose any credit you had as it is not transferable.....who the manager of the store was I have no idea never got introduced.....say what you like about Sainsburys but the store manager there came and spoke to me every shift when I first started to ask me if I was ok and how I was getting on and to tell me my department manager spoke highly of me.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked any direct questions on the individual interview. We only chatted about were I had worked before and discussed the role and the shifts I would work and how I found the work trial.   1 Answer

Seasonal Checkout Operative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Canterbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ASDA (Canterbury, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Initially went for a group interview and I was pretty nervous. There are only about 10 people max in the interview and everyone is really lovely, it’s nothing to fret about. They’re probably just as nervous as you are! We firstly went around the table and introduced ourselves, after that we played people bingo. Most of the time was taken up doing little activities, one of them being you had to go down to the ship floor and find promotions and write down about them( how effective they are, how they could be improved, etc). Make sure to talk to your group and keep relaxed, talk and have a laugh with the people in the group, it’s al very light hearted and you will be marked on the way you interact with people. After that we hadn’t another little activity where you were split down the middle and in two groups had to present an idea for ways in which the business could draw attention/ what they could do for their newest charity campaign. You do have to present this but nothing massively over the top just feedback on the groups ideas.

Checkout Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrhead, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Barrhead, Scotland (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I completed the online assessment and a week later i received an email to book a time for the asda magic assessment event. The magic assessment involved role play, getting to know you and uniform sizes etc. Then i got through to a one to one interview. Very casual. I wore black jeans and a shirt/dressy top with pumps.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time that i received good customer service.   Answer Question

Personal Shopper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ferring, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Ferring, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to an Asda Magic event at the store where the position was approximately 2 weeks later. The Magic event was a pleasant experience and presented by the HR Manager. We were asked to find out certain things from the person sat next to us and afterwards present our findings to the group. During this we were observed by a Manager who made notes as we chatted. We were then asked to go out onto the shop floor with the Manager for 15 minutes. During this time we had to locate "Winter" promotions, speak to colleagues, customers, observe processes and find anything in store that we thought was under par and could be improved. On return to the training room we did a flip chart presentation of our findings to the group. We then completed a form confirming our availability and told what jobs were currently vacant. We also had to give 1st and 2nd choices for positions. We were told that if we were not successful on this occasion we would receive an email from Asda. If we had made it through to the next stage we would receive a phone call from HR. I was phoned just after I got home and invited to an interview next day with a Manager. I was offered a position which was my 2nd choice. The reason for this was the hours that I was available to work best fitted with this position.

Interview Questions

• The questions were fairly general. I answered honestly and logically.   Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solihull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Solihull, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Situational test online and then invited to an Asda Magic Event. Played a group bingo to break the ice and then came up with ideas on how to get involved with the community and charity at Christmas. Taken to look around the store and to pick out things that could be improved and what was good. Discussed ideas about the stores and then had a 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions

• A time when you received negative feedback and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question
    • When has there been a time that you have given good customer service?   Answer Question
    • When has there been a time when you haven't gotten along with someone and what did you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASDA in November 2017.

Interview

Asda Magic Recruitment Day: a group interview where the applicants are divided into groups and given short tasks, like deciding how a budget should be allocated, and how the store could better promote seasonal offers. Very relaxed and friendly.

If successful in the Magic Recruitment you are called for a one-on-one interview, which includes a 15/20 minute practical on the shop floor (shelf stacking/tidying). Again, you are immediately put at ease, and, in my case, the interviewer was very friendly and patient.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel if a customer was upset because his/her favourite brand of cereal was out of stock?   Answer Question
    • Why is it important to keep costs low?   Answer Question
    • Name an occasion that you've given/received great customer service.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA in November 2017.

Interview

Brief introduction (everyone talk to another one and ask some questions such as: something interesting about you, favourite food and so on and then you are introduced by someone and you introduce someone else). 15 min in the store in group to find 3 good example of cx service and one thing that can be improved. Back in the room, every group present its own idea. End of the day.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leyton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (Leyton, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I was crap you can tell they were not bothered in the process, as there were 11 of us and I read everywhere that it will involve group task, role plays, etc. I prepared for some questions also. All we freaking did was find out three things about the person next to you (mind you someone came late and had to join me and another candidate which kind of messed up the flow of things, it was three having to find out stuff about each other) then say it back to the group. Ten we filled out forms and went to the shop floor where we had to stack shelves for a 40 mins (free labour) they were barely watching us, my knees were hurting and my back. They then called us back in the room but I overheard some of the other candidates asking other if they called them for a 1 to 1 interview as we were stacking shelves. At the very moment I knew I didnt get the job as they didnt call to interview. After they got some free manual labour we told that if we were successful we would get an email to come in for induction and if we were unsuccessful we would not hear anything from them (which isquite stupid I mean at least let people know if they are unsuccessful). This is where they really took the micky as 4 days after the asda tragic assessment i received an email from asda and I immediately thought despite my thoughts and not being interviewed that I got the since they said if we were successful we would get an email. The freaking email said 'sorry you have been unsuccessful' as soon as I saw those words I deleted the email and got rid of anything ASDA (don't get me wrong i'm glad they told me I was unsuccessful but don't play with my emotions). After the whole experience I feel that any company that wastes an hour of your time should pay you.

Interview Questions

• Where do you currently work?   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to the role?   1 Answer