ASOS Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

49 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Refactoring test at interviewers desk. He looked solely to see if I'd fit in his team. They are strictly test first and strictly clean code to the point of banning comments in method bodies. They strictly use Resharper.

There was no reasoning on that at all. I've built HTTP microservices in an agile CICD way for years and have consulted to web businesses on it but he was not interested in my CV or the real code I have on GitHub or that I brought with me.

He couldn't believe I didn't use mocks since I think they come at a price and he was shocked. I could refer him to an article showing Martin Fowler and Uncle Bob also rarely use mocking frameworks but he was so rigid in his thoughts.

It felt like a factory of battery hen programmers and I'm pretty senior and lead Greenfield microservices projects and even hold a patent in service security but he said I world not fit in his team. He was right so kudos on that.

There were no other questions and he told me immediately I wouldn't fit in.

You can Google me, "Luke Puplett" and see what level of person failed his test. There interviewer had barely used StackOverflow which I think it's a bad sign, though to his credit he has a few GitHub repos.

Interview Questions

• How would you refactor this code?   1 Answer

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Lack of structure. Meeting wasn't led well.
    Initial 5 min telephone interview
    1hr face-to-face interview which included a presentation
    Spent 20 mins presenting my analysis with both interviewers asking questions around my analysis. Asked more questions around ASOS.
    There wasn't any questions around me or my experience.... Generally you find a couple of competency based questions to get a better understanding of your qualities/achievements. Or the interviewer wants drill in and ask more questions around my experience.... A CV only small amount of the story.....
    I had to ask the basics such as background and context of the role how it fits within the organisation who will be the key stakeholders? etc....

Interview Questions

• Telephone - Why do you want this role, Why ASOS?
      SWOT analysis on differing Prices
      Why ASOS?
      How would you improve the ASOS website?
      Would you acquire another brand?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Met with two technical members of staff for a technical chat, followed by two management members for a more company focused chat.

It was a good interview and felt like the conversation was flowing back and forth rather than just me answering questions. I got a good sense of the company and how it worked. I was able to ask lots of questions and got lots of information.

Interview Questions

• What does agile mean to you?   1 Answer

Agile Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Obtained the interview via a recruiter. Met with 2 senior members of staff. One yawned a lot (at least 4-5 times) during the interview and the other looked above my head while I was talking, this was from the beginning. This might have been part of the test (or just plain bored), but either way, I wouldn't want to work in such a culture of rudeness. It wasn't a positive experience or conducive to getting the best - even mediocrity- from me. I would advise cutting the interview short if you're not interested as it lasted the full 55 minutes and I was keen to leave after 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

ASOS Response

Apr 24, 2017 – Talent Brand & Engagement Partner

Thanks for taking the time to offer this feedback, we really appreciate it. We're sorry you didn't have a positive experience in this instance and want to make it clear candidate experience is taken... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)).

Interview

After a telephone interview they have sent me a test to complete.

The test was not really so difficult in general but there were not any instructions on how much time should I spent on it. It was basically refactoring a project and making it more solid - robust using basic principles of SOLID programming.

The feedback I got back from the recruiter (getting it from the company) was some bullet points on what they did not like. Most of the points were really a matter of perspective (bad unit test naming.. ?) in my opinion. If you want to find something bad in a code you can do that easily. There was only one fair point, which I can agree that could be done better. I have heard several people failing ASOS test so ...it didn't surprised me after all.

Buyers Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Asked to do a 10 minute presentation that was in two parts. Part one was exploring the designers, bloggers and brands that influence the Asos customer. Part Two was identifying the 5 key trends for SS17. After I had presented this there were a couple questions on my boards, then moved onto proper interview questions.

At the end of the interview I was asked whether I have a preference for own buying or branded buying. I chose own and within two days I had a phone call to confirm I had got the job. They chose a section of own buying to go into (e.g. jersey, accessories, etc), I didn't have a choice but where they have placed me is something I'm excited about!

Global Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied at the beginning of January and they got back to me in mid February to set up a phone interview with HR. A week after the phone interview they let me know I had passed the first round and made it to the assessment center. I flew to London 2 weeks after the phone interview. The assessment center was at the offices and it was half a day long (1pm to 6pm), and pretty intense. We were roughly 10 people. First we had a teamwork assignment to discuss whether the company should invest in emerging markets and which ones. Then we had to present our findings as a group. After that each of us was called for an individual presentation to members of the team on a topic that had been given to us a week prior to the assessment center. This was 30 minutes long overall, with the presentation being followed by Q&A. After that, each of us had an 45-60 minute interview with a recruiter and a member of the team. Mainly behavioral and situational questions, but also a few more technical ones. Good knowledge of the company and its business model is expected. Very positive experience after all, everyone was super nice and relaxed. Hopefully the experience reflects the actual job!

Interview Questions

• What are ASOS' main competitors?   Answer Question
    • Which emerging markets are more promising for the company and why?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you were the manager of the Global Trading team?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

Interview

Applied via Linkedin, however they contacted me to ask if I would be interested in a different role. I said yes and we booked an interview by phone. Phone call with HR lasted about 10 minutes. Didn't hear back from them, had to emailed them to confirm I didn't go through the next phase.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

First screening call with a recruiter. Followed by a face to face interview with the hiring manager. Then prepared case study presentation delivered to the hiring manager and another product manager. Final round an interview with senior stakeholders

Online Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASOS (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I had a telephone interview followed by a group assessment centre with me and 5 others.
    Interview was made up of a group task which we were split into 2, a presentation which we were given to prepare before hand and a general 1 on 1 interview.
    They told me they would let me know the following week but after 1 week they said I had to wait for another week as they were interviewing other candidates.

Interview Questions

• What would you miss the most from your current role if you got the job?   Answer Question