AVL North America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at AVL North America

2.9

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AVL North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2019.

Interview

They didn't even take any interview and are wiling to hire people without any interview as they just need their work to be done and don't really care about people.

Rotation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in November 2019.

Interview

Met some staff at career fair and was invited to an in person interviewing session with multiple candidates, interviews and activities.

There were two or three separate interveiws, a building tour, a group challenge, and individual presentations on a topic of our choice prepared in advance.

I was invided to the interview day after meeting a team member at a career fair and reaching out to the HR contact he provided. Before the in person interview/event I was also asked to take a personality test and email in my results.

The whole process took a couple months from career fair to final interveiw.

Interview Questions

• What can/would you do to make boring/tedius tasks better?   Answer Question
    • What would someone else say about you? (Good and bad)   Answer Question
    • What are some of the biggest problems to be overcomed for a larger market adoption of EVs?   Answer Question
    • Any technical skills?   Answer Question

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI).

Interview

The interview was thorough and in depth. It began with a series of phone interviews with the recruiting company. After this there was an on-site interview that included meeting with peers, the direct supervisor, and HR. The following week there was an in person interview with the technical director. The following week there was an in-person interview with the President and CEO at a different AVL facility.

Technical Specialist - Systems Safety Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in September 2019.

Interview

Straight forward process, first recruiter perform a prescreening and provided the job description. Second a quick phone interview with HR was arranged. Followed with a phone interview with direct supervisor and manager. The last was a face to face interview with supervisor, manager while other executives were listening through a communication link.

Interview Questions

• What are your current assignments duties and responsibilities   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail the what and how of all the activities and deliverables you need to perform if you need to manage functional safety for an specific product to be developed.   Answer Question
    • Which tools you are familiar with and what is your degree of expertise using the tools?   Answer Question
    • Why you are interested in this job?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview process is very different. After applying online, HR contacted me very quickly. However, it isn't typical interview which will start with phone screening. HR will ask you a lot questions in the email and expects you will write a thesis for each question.

Interview Questions

• Elaborate on a recent situation where you grew sales for your current employer?   1 Answer

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in May 2019.

Interview

Phone interview followed up with an in-person interview. Scheduling and interview were both very professionally executed. AVL interviewers were very accommodating and easy to talk to. I felt comfortable and well respected during the interview process and have found the work environment to be equally positive.

Interview Questions

• Asked to explain my experience in recent development projects.   1 Answer

Sr. Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in May 2019.

Interview

Very responsive, timely interviewing process. HR scheduled a screening call quickly, then followed up with an on-site interview within a week or so. Final interview with Director and VP was also scheduled within a week.

Interview Questions

• Strengths, weaknesses, communicating and negotiating with customers   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in April 2019.

Interview

HR is very responsive - phone interview with management, followed by an interview onsite with HR and management. A benefits summary was provided and explained by HR that was nice to have to take home and review.

Project Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in January 2019.

Interview

I had an interview for the position of a Project Engineer II. The interview wasn't bad but there was some red flags. The hiring manager didn't seem interested in me as a fit for the team, but more interested in verifying any suspicions regarding my skills. I got the impression they were more interested in the secret sauce of what I did, versus how that expertise could be utilized here. It was a panel interview, with two other interviewers who seemed genuinely interested in what I could bring to the role. Highlighting my ability to adapt and getting up to speed quickly is what I wanted to show. They didn't speak much about the job itself but with it being consulting (that being one facet of their business as they put it) I'd imagine they'd have a steady stream of project work for consultants. When I asked them "what they loved about working there?" only 1 of 3 interviewers responded, the other two kept quiet. Finally, I was sent a rejection email two hours later.

Project Engineer I - Engineering Rotation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at AVL North America (Plymouth, MI) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online in September of 2018, and attended the assessment day in December. This assessment day was combined with other candidates for the position, where we each presented to the engineers and had individual interviews. HR was very quick to follow up and helpful through the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• A customer requires an engine package with 'X' amount of torque, and 'X' amount of power. How do you go about the development process?   Answer Question