AXA Equitable Summer Actuarial Internship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1.0

Summer Actuarial Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AXA Equitable (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

After I sent my cover letter and resume by email, I was contacted within only a few days. They responded very quickly, considering I sent the email during the Christmas holidays, and as soon as the holidays were over, they immediately called me. Since I was leaving the country in only a week, I wasn't going to be able to interview them in person. I explained my situation, and they were very understanding, and scheduled an interview over Skype the following week. I interviewed with 5 different people in the company, some of them individually and some of them in pairs. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. When I first heard that I was going to be interviewing for 45 minutes with each person/group, I was scared that I wouldn't be able to say enough. However, everyone that interviewed me was extremely friendly, and the time went by much faster than I imagined. The interview was actually fun. It was my chance to get to know the company better and ask any questions I wanted. Two of the interviews were actually interviews (meaning the person/group asked me questions and then listen to my response), but they were so friendly and casual about it that it didn't make me nervous. Another one of the interviews was more of a "Let me tell you more about our company and let you ask questions about it" session than an interview. The interviewer actually talked much more than I did. And then another one of the interviews was extremely casual and there were no interview questions asked. It was just simply a friendly chat to help me relax. The offer also came very promptly. I received a phone call the morning after my interview. They were very accommodating, and allowed me to ask more questions about the internship. When I asked how long much time I had to respond to the offer, they asked me, "How much time would you like?" so I said I just wanted to think it over for a few days (just to do some last minute research on the company and see if other companies are going to offer me anything), the guy asks "Would 3 weeks be sufficient?" which was much more time than I expected. Overall, I really enjoyed the interviews and the company made such a good impression on me that I accepted the offer the next day. Everyone was extremely nice, and I really look forward to working with them.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength and your greatest weakness?   1 Answer
  • When you suddenly find out that a project you've been working on has gone in the wrong direction, what do you do? Tell us in general and then give us a specific example of when this has happened.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The company has pre-determined formulas for calculating how much actuarial interns are paid. The hourly rate is twenty dollars plus an additional dollar for each exam you've passed so far. For example, if you've passed two exams so far, you get paid $22 per hour, and you work 40 hours a week for 10 weeks. Since this is already a set formula, I didn't try to negotiate.