Abbott Labs Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Abbott Labs Engineer Interview Questions

2.9

Engineering Interview

Interview

I met with Abbott during a career fair. They are very approachable people, but getting an interview with them is super competitive. You really only have a few minutes to sell yourself in the initial stages, and if you don't stand out in some way don't expect a call back.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Abbott Labs

Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

Very easy questions, you got the interview so try and stand out from the other students who are just as smart as you. They care about your work ethic and personality the most.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to diversify yourself   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Champaign, IL) in August 2013.

Interview

I went in pretty unprepared. It was my first interview and I was trying too hard to not sound too generic or use too many cliches but I believe it was what I should have done instead of thinking of answers that are too clever. At the end of the interview I asked what kind of candidates they are looking for and they told me they are looking for people who display that they really want to help people and care about the world and improving it through abbot technologies. Just try to convey that throughout the interview and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about cutting corners, make sure you have a good response.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Interview

They're professionals who did do a thorough set of interviews, but the process is marred because of "big company politics". Abbott is a giant multinational corporation, so you can expect to have 5 or 6 phases in the interview process before you can even get a contract position with them nowadays. Out of the many companies I interviewed with, Abbott was the only one who offered to reimburse the costs of driving to their Ottawa facility, so that is one plus.

The several sets of interviews I had with them were conducted by technical staff who would be relevant to the position I was applying. Unfortunately, this was actually really bad because I was not easily able to get in contact with an HR person who had the details of the salary, type of benefits, etc. All of the technical people I spoke kept saying, "I don't know that, you'll need to ask the next person in the interview process," then I go speak with the next interviewer in the interview process to hear, "That's weird, I don't have that information, the person you spoke with preciously has that information," and a whole bunch of rigmarole.

The questions were purely behavioral-type questions. No technical questions were asked at all.
    I actually got very far in Abbott's interview process without having details of the salary, so I ended up calling their Ottawa location to speak with the receptionist. Then, I pretty much had to give her the details and the names of the people I spoke with, then she was able to get me in contact with an HR person who could tell me the job details I wanted. Great. So then, I finally speak with her only to get, "Ahh, we at Abbott give very competitive wages for engineers," to which she wouldn't budge any further.

Talk about a waste of time - if I'm expected to spend significant amounts of time in the interview process, I really need to know the wage. Especially if I have other job offers I need to weigh this position with. In the past, if an employer ever told me, "competitive salary," I generally assumed it was very close to minimum wage because there are no regulations associated with the use of the phrase "competitive salary" (kind of like Bell's "fibre-optic" Internet called "Fibe" that's really the same old copper wire due to not regulating the use of words).

It's very sad because this looks like a good position, but it is unfortunately situated in Ottawa, one of the most expensive cities to live in throughout Canada (you have two universities and the parliament, really inflating the rent cost). If I had an offer with a similar wage located in a less expensive city, I'd have no choice but to choose that instead.

Another con with Abbott is that, nowadays, they'll hire most of their new employees on a contract set for a short time, which includes this position. Then, "if you work well", they'll hire you full-time, or so they say. So if you're relocating for this position, be careful due to the potential for less to no job security. Hiring people on a contract sadly exempts you from many employment laws for the province of Ontario. Again, if I had an offer that started me full-time versus one that started me off on a six-month contract, I'd have to choose the former.

Overall, it actually looked like a good position with some very interesting applications, and the interviewers did a good job answering technical (non-HR related) questions about the position. But, this company has too many interviews for what its worth - you'll have to take a lot of time of school or work to do these interviews just for one position. Plus, Abbott has a notorious record for being slow in their interviewing process. If you have any other offers, I'd recommend you take them first - chances are Abbott will take a quarter of the year to contact you back.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Singapore (Singapore)) in October 2014.

Interview

Meet up with supervisor to learn more about the job scope. Overall experience was very casual and laid back, interviewer just wanted to know my interest in the project. No rigorous questions were asked, he was very focused on the project at hand.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott Labs in October 2011.

Interview

1-hour phone interview which consisted of both technical and behavioral questions. Obtained the interview with the assistance of a staffing agency that contacted me directly after finding my profile online (probably either through LinkedIn or Monster) and submitted me for consideration at Abbott. Interviewer asked fair questions and was candid, with honest discussion about the position, required qualifications, and other candidates.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott Labs in March 2011.

Interview

The interview was a screening and consisted of a behavioral interview. There was no particular position I was interviewing for. The questions were typical for a behavioral interview. I advise that if you interview on campus you should also apply to positions online and not rely on the representative getting back to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where there was a disagreement in a group and how you resolved the disagreement.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott Labs in December 2010.

Interview

I participated in a job fair held in Temecula for Abbot and was given two interviews with about 1 hour in between them. The first interview was conducted by a woman who seemed to follow a very rigid interview script comprised of back to back behavioral questions. The second was performed by a gentlemen who seemed to be eager to talk more about boats then the actual job. Although the second person seemed very positive, giving me his card with his personal cell number written on the back, the first lady must not have been very impressed. No request to meet for a second round of interviews was made.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a co-worker coming in late habitually.   2 Answers

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott Labs in September 2010.

Interview

I had a great interview. I have not heard back from them. Seems like they like to take their time with everything. Took them over two weeks to get an interview schedule out. Had three revisions prior to the interview.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Abbott Labs in January 2008.

Interview

I was sent an emailed questionnaire to fill out. Approximately two weeks went by before my first panel interview. There was practically zero eye contact, because the interviewers were reading behavioral scenarios from paper. Another two weeks go by. I had another panel interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Subpar. There was no explanation of the job titles, job levels, and job grades.