Abbott Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Abbott Labs Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2017

Engineer Interview

Interview

They're professionals who did do a thorough set of interviews, but the process is marred because of "big company politics". Abbott is a giant multinational corporation, so you can expect to have 5 or 6 phases in the interview process before you can even get a contract position with them nowadays. Out of the many companies I interviewed with, Abbott was the only one who offered to reimburse the costs of driving to their Ottawa facility, so that is one plus.

The several sets of interviews I had with them were conducted by technical staff who would be relevant to the position I was applying. Unfortunately, this was actually really bad because I was not easily able to get in contact with an HR person who had the details of the salary, type of benefits, etc. All of the technical people I spoke kept saying, "I don't know that, you'll need to ask the next person in the interview process," then I go speak with the next interviewer in the interview process to hear, "That's weird, I don't have that information, the person you spoke with preciously has that information," and a whole bunch of rigmarole.

The questions were purely behavioral-type questions. No technical questions were asked at all.
    I actually got very far in Abbott's interview process without having details of the salary, so I ended up calling their Ottawa location to speak with the receptionist. Then, I pretty much had to give her the details and the names of the people I spoke with, then she was able to get me in contact with an HR person who could tell me the job details I wanted. Great. So then, I finally speak with her only to get, "Ahh, we at Abbott give very competitive wages for engineers," to which she wouldn't budge any further.

Talk about a waste of time - if I'm expected to spend significant amounts of time in the interview process, I really need to know the wage. Especially if I have other job offers I need to weigh this position with. In the past, if an employer ever told me, "competitive salary," I generally assumed it was very close to minimum wage because there are no regulations associated with the use of the phrase "competitive salary" (kind of like Bell's "fibre-optic" Internet called "Fibe" that's really the same old copper wire due to not regulating the use of words).

It's very sad because this looks like a good position, but it is unfortunately situated in Ottawa, one of the most expensive cities to live in throughout Canada (you have two universities and the parliament, really inflating the rent cost). If I had an offer with a similar wage located in a less expensive city, I'd have no choice but to choose that instead.

Another con with Abbott is that, nowadays, they'll hire most of their new employees on a contract set for a short time, which includes this position. Then, "if you work well", they'll hire you full-time, or so they say. So if you're relocating for this position, be careful due to the potential for less to no job security. Hiring people on a contract sadly exempts you from many employment laws for the province of Ontario. Again, if I had an offer that started me full-time versus one that started me off on a six-month contract, I'd have to choose the former.

Overall, it actually looked like a good position with some very interesting applications, and the interviewers did a good job answering technical (non-HR related) questions about the position. But, this company has too many interviews for what its worth - you'll have to take a lot of time of school or work to do these interviews just for one position. Plus, Abbott has a notorious record for being slow in their interviewing process. If you have any other offers, I'd recommend you take them first - chances are Abbott will take a quarter of the year to contact you back.

FPDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through on campus career site and was invited for first round interview on campus. The interview consisted of review of transcript with a manger of all grades as well as an explanation for some classes and the average grade received. Following that there is a 30 min interview with the head recruiter for the FPDP program. It is very intense, with multiple behavioral questions that must be answered in a star format. Must be able to show leadership as well as ability to work well with others.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time you were you were innovative in a work environment, and how were you able to convince your managers and coworkers when faced with criticism?   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Abbott Labs.

Interview

Interview by video link. Interviewer was ten minutes late and dishevelled/hungover looking. Proceeded to ask me a lot of quick fire questions and not listen to my answers. Unable to understand even basic scientific and engineering principles and terminology. Midway through interview, she started messing with her hair. Implied that I hadn't read the job description (I had) and then proceeded to give me a completely different job description. Very obvious she hadn't looked at my resume or my salary expectations and towards end of interview announced the job was for a salary far lower than I'm currently on. As a final insult, she then announced that not only was I unsuccessfull in that interview, my application for other positions within the company would also be 'reviewed'. No explanation given for her unprofessional manner, I remained calm and polite through the whole process but my irritation probably came though at the end. Very poor

Interview Questions

• Example of a crisis in your job.   1 Answer

Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs.

Interview

I received a phone call that my resume was being considered, and that I was a perfect fit for the job. Within 2 weeks they scheduled me for an interview. They did not send me the extensive interview packet until 4 pm the day before the interview which I found very unprofessional.

The interview was 7 hours (and I met with over 40 people) which I find excessive. The questions in the interview were very redunant, and the interviewers seemed unprepared, or inexperienced conducting an interview.

Multiple times throughout the interview the conversation came out of the split up of Abbott, and the employees seemed very upset about it. I thought this was unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• If you believe in a project you are working on, and your supervisor does not, how do you convince them to let you continue spending time on it?   Answer Question

Systems Analystles Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Juan, PR

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (San Juan, PR) in April 2011.

Interview

Very difficult and with 5 people in 1 on 1 interview

Interview Questions

• Draw me in a paper the Health department system of Puerto Rico   1 Answer
    • Tel me an experience were you could not achieve a goal from base . What did you did ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation - standard package for manpower contract employee - no option for a 20 year old contract !!!

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2013.

Interview

They use experienced based interview questions, please see the question types below. Its important to go through your resume and have examples with each employer. During work keep a file so you can record all your successes for future reflection. This helps when you negotiate for your salary based on your successes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a conflict and how you resolved it.
      Tell us about a time where you out performed your co workers.
      Tell us about a time where you failed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They are reasonable, but accountants run the company. It all comes down to the bottom line. Keep stressing your return on investment.

Procurement Lead Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs.

Interview

3 stage process, final interview was a presentation of 1 of my most recent achievements, 2 slide Max, which was quite restrictive. The Panel was all video communication, so a little more difficult than normal.

Medical Technologist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Irving, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Gained a lot of knowledge and experience from this interview. Positive and encouraging but very rigorous at the same time. They were extremely thorough with what they were precisely looking for in a candidate. Covered a gamut of topics ranging from the best career moment to what I do for fun. Quite tedious but very helpful. Mostly based on behavioral questions with one or two technical questions thrown into the mix.

Interview Questions

• A Lot of STAR based questions about my past work experience and also some personal events.   Answer Question

American Sales Training Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Irvine, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had 5 interviews over a 4-week period. Their hiring process is tedious and long. First I completed a digital interview, followed by a phone interview. After that i met 3 different times with 3 different managers.

Interview Questions

• What are the skills that you believe you can bring to this company?   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Casa Grande, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Casa Grande, AZ) in March 2012.

Interview

One on one interview with 5 different manager. I met with them for an hour each and discussed a set of questions that required a specific answers. Each Manager had a different set of questions, but some of them had the same question. They later compared the answers and rated the interview.

Interview Questions

• Past Leadership, Past Work experience, Situations with both Good and Bad Decisions that were made. How they were handled.   1 Answer