Abt Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.9

Associate Finance and Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I was originally contacted by a recruiter and didn't hear back from him after I set up an interview time. A while later, I was contacted by another recruiter who mentioned that they "condensed and redistributed" some jobs and that he would be my recruiter. It was odd, but I didn't ask any questions. They didn't give me a lot of time to prepare (wanted an interview within 2-3 days) and it was frustrating since I had to give a sudden notice to my current position.

The interview itself was ok. I had 3 people interview me as a panel. They really dug deep about my past experiences. However, at some point, I felt as if they were trying to persuade me to not take the job. It's definitely a different type of position than what I'm used to, but I applied because I knew about the company and the job posting. Also, one of the interviewers was a bit rude. She wanted me to remember specific details from a job I worked for 6 months more than a year ago. When I couldn't remember anything she had a side conversation with another interviewer and said how she knows specific laws/regulations and that the person for the position would need to know them as well.

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the interview and sought after another position. I never heard back from them, which also left me with a negative impression since I expect them to email me to at least let me know that I didn't get the job.

Financial and Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Contacted by HR, an on-site interview is set up on next Monday in Bethesda office. Met with 3 managers, they basically only asked what I did with my last position. They appreciated USAID working experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I got a verbal after one week. Still waiting for an official offer. (More than 2 weeks now) Hiring process is really slow.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied the position in November, and got the interview invitation next Feb. I was firstly contacted by the recruiting coordinator to set up the interview time, and interviewed by HR recruiter, which was the first round. I then was interview by the HR recruiting team manager, and got the internship opportunity afterwards. I guess that since my position was in the HR department, I was not interviewed by the director for another around, because the manager was kind the same.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the company   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

It was pretty informal for the informational interview. The interview with higher management was good, but they asked tough questions. Probably wanted to see how I could think on my feet and form an answer to a difficult question.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to a Minister of Finance in order to convince them to devote more resources to health.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, based on glassdoor and discussions with colleagues in the industry. I was in a strong negotiating position because I wasn't looking for a job.

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I was referred into the company by one of the clients of the company. Had to interview with supervisor and President of company. This interview and my position with the company was many years ago. The interview experience was ok.

Interview Questions

• My position with the company was many years ago. One thing I was asked by the President was to name 3 books that I read recently.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met with 4 to 5 different interviews. I met them one at a time. Each interviewer has 30 minutes with me. They came in with my resume in hand. They questioned a few of my experiences. They definitely look for relevant skills necessary for the job. I was able to go in detail about each of my experiences. I was able to show that I know the skills listed on my resume. I also discussed how I have applied my skills in different projects. They seem to be impressed with the fact that I take initiative, learn independently, and know my material. Organization is important. The interview was overall fun.

Interview Questions

• How do you take notes?
      How is your field related to this specific experience?
      Describe this specific skill listed on your resume.
      What are your strengths?
      How are you a good team member?
      Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Three interviewers ask questions one by one. One lady focused more behavioral questions. One senior people ask more research experiences and technical questions. The last person ask question about the percentage of administrative work out of total work you would be willing to take.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had four short interviews with four separate employees who work in different capacities in my division. They mostly asked detailed questions about the experiences listed on my resume with a few behavioral questions thrown in.

Senior Technical Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

First I had to complete an online application, including my expected salary range (there was no salary range posted with the job listing, so I stated my expectation based on my research on Glassdoor, etc., my years of experience, education, and comparable jobs in the Washington, DC area). Then there was an initial phone screen with the HR recruiter. She said she was looking to fill the position "yesterday" when I pointed out that it had been listed since October (this was in February). I was asked to provide extensive income information to document what I assumed would be Abt's billable rate to USAID for my time. Next came a phone interview with three staff members, including the woman who would be the immediate supervisor. It went very well with questions back-and-forth, and comfortable laughter. Next came an invitation for an in-person interview, which required me to travel to DC. I was not told until after I had booked and paid for my transportation and accommodations that "the policy" limited Abt's reimbursement for my travel to reimbursement for the train and only one night's hotel stay--I traveled 400 miles each way, and arrived on the weekend for the Monday morning interview. I was surprised, and not pleased, that I had to absorb the rest of the cost. The in-person interview required two stages: (1) a writing test, in which I was expected to write an executive summary for a 10-page USAID request for proposals (since the executive summary is the final portion of a proposal that gets written, and the most important and challenging, I hoped the main aim was to gauge my "raw" writing, and not, unrealistically, whether I completed the executive summary in such a short time); (2) the two-on-one interview went very well, with a VP from the division and a senior project officer. They asked questions about my work style, ability to manage stress, etc. I asked about work-life balance, something Abt touts as important on its website. I was told that it is "aspirational" and that Abt tries to make up in "flexibility" (e.g., remote work) for the imbalances I gathered are common. After the interview, the HR recruiter told me I would hear back by the following Tuesday. As of Friday, three days later, I hadn't heard anything and sent a "just checking in to see if you have everything you need" email. I finally had an e-mail the following Thursday, more than two weeks past the time I expected a decision to offer (or not) the job. I was not offered the job, but was assured that I made a very good impression on everyone and invited to stay in touch.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with people freaking out to meet the deadline for a USAID proposal?   1 Answer

Interview

Two interviews - the first with an individual in an office, the second as a larger company event with multiple interviewers present.

Both interviews were strictly "fit" interviews -- no technical questions were asked. The questions were all pretty standard:
    Describe yourself in a couple of sentences.
    What was a challenge you overcame?
    What are you hoping to do/gain at this company?