Abt Associates Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

2.7

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Rockville, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Someone from HR contacted me. The staff were very nice. Two of the three interviewers were very nice and asked fair questions. One seemed like he did not want to be there, asked only one or two obscure questions. He seemed more interested in going to lunch. Unfortunately for me, he was the one that ran the program. It took them 2 months to inform me that although I had good qualifications, they had found someone that was a better fit. I was really disappointed.

Interview Questions

• They asked some specifics about my experience and knowledge about the position.   Answer Question

Associate Finance and Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I was originally contacted by a recruiter and didn't hear back from him after I set up an interview time. A while later, I was contacted by another recruiter who mentioned that they "condensed and redistributed" some jobs and that he would be my recruiter. It was odd, but I didn't ask any questions. They didn't give me a lot of time to prepare (wanted an interview within 2-3 days) and it was frustrating since I had to give a sudden notice to my current position.

The interview itself was ok. I had 3 people interview me as a panel. They really dug deep about my past experiences. However, at some point, I felt as if they were trying to persuade me to not take the job. It's definitely a different type of position than what I'm used to, but I applied because I knew about the company and the job posting. Also, one of the interviewers was a bit rude. She wanted me to remember specific details from a job I worked for 6 months more than a year ago. When I couldn't remember anything she had a side conversation with another interviewer and said how she knows specific laws/regulations and that the person for the position would need to know them as well.

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the interview and sought after another position. I never heard back from them, which also left me with a negative impression since I expect them to email me to at least let me know that I didn't get the job.

Financial and Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Contacted by HR, an on-site interview is set up on next Monday in Bethesda office. Met with 3 managers, they basically only asked what I did with my last position. They appreciated USAID working experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I got a verbal after one week. Still waiting for an official offer. (More than 2 weeks now) Hiring process is really slow.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied the position in November, and got the interview invitation next Feb. I was firstly contacted by the recruiting coordinator to set up the interview time, and interviewed by HR recruiter, which was the first round. I then was interview by the HR recruiting team manager, and got the internship opportunity afterwards. I guess that since my position was in the HR department, I was not interviewed by the director for another around, because the manager was kind the same.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the company   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

It was pretty informal for the informational interview. The interview with higher management was good, but they asked tough questions. Probably wanted to see how I could think on my feet and form an answer to a difficult question.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to a Minister of Finance in order to convince them to devote more resources to health.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, based on glassdoor and discussions with colleagues in the industry. I was in a strong negotiating position because I wasn't looking for a job.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Three interviewers ask questions one by one. One lady focused more behavioral questions. One senior people ask more research experiences and technical questions. The last person ask question about the percentage of administrative work out of total work you would be willing to take.

Senior Technical Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

First I had to complete an online application, including my expected salary range (there was no salary range posted with the job listing, so I stated my expectation based on my research on Glassdoor, etc., my years of experience, education, and comparable jobs in the Washington, DC area). Then there was an initial phone screen with the HR recruiter. She said she was looking to fill the position "yesterday" when I pointed out that it had been listed since October (this was in February). I was asked to provide extensive income information to document what I assumed would be Abt's billable rate to USAID for my time. Next came a phone interview with three staff members, including the woman who would be the immediate supervisor. It went very well with questions back-and-forth, and comfortable laughter. Next came an invitation for an in-person interview, which required me to travel to DC. I was not told until after I had booked and paid for my transportation and accommodations that "the policy" limited Abt's reimbursement for my travel to reimbursement for the train and only one night's hotel stay--I traveled 400 miles each way, and arrived on the weekend for the Monday morning interview. I was surprised, and not pleased, that I had to absorb the rest of the cost. The in-person interview required two stages: (1) a writing test, in which I was expected to write an executive summary for a 10-page USAID request for proposals (since the executive summary is the final portion of a proposal that gets written, and the most important and challenging, I hoped the main aim was to gauge my "raw" writing, and not, unrealistically, whether I completed the executive summary in such a short time); (2) the two-on-one interview went very well, with a VP from the division and a senior project officer. They asked questions about my work style, ability to manage stress, etc. I asked about work-life balance, something Abt touts as important on its website. I was told that it is "aspirational" and that Abt tries to make up in "flexibility" (e.g., remote work) for the imbalances I gathered are common. After the interview, the HR recruiter told me I would hear back by the following Tuesday. As of Friday, three days later, I hadn't heard anything and sent a "just checking in to see if you have everything you need" email. I finally had an e-mail the following Thursday, more than two weeks past the time I expected a decision to offer (or not) the job. I was not offered the job, but was assured that I made a very good impression on everyone and invited to stay in touch.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with people freaking out to meet the deadline for a USAID proposal?   1 Answer

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

Abt Associates contacted me with an initial phone interview to get a high-level feel for my skill set and were excited enough to hear from me that they quickly arranged an interview for the following week. A day after the phone call I was contacted, via email, with a schedule of my interview, which was arranged to take the better part of the morning it was scheduled for. Included in the schedule were contact information for the HR rep, the address and suite where Abt works from, and other details. It was a very helpful document.

The day of the interview I arrive at Abt Associates and was greeted at the front office by the receptionist. I received a visitor badge upon signing in and waited for a few minutes (I was early). When my HR POC arrived we found that the room that had been reserved for my first (of five) interviews had been re-assigned for an employee breakfast (bagels and such had been arranged on the conference table).

After finding an alternative room I was left with two Abt Associates team members. They began to ask about what I did currently. I gave an explanation and they gave me blank looks. They asked how I could translate my current experience with the work at Abt. Knowing I was coming in slightly less experienced than what they were probably hoping for with SAS programming (they wanted someone with macros experience), I tried to make ties, but I honestly didn't have a good grasp yet on what exactly it was they were doing.

After interview 1 of 5, I was handed off to a very kind HR rep to head towards interview 2. I met with a Senior Analyst/Statistician and felt comfortable with her. She asked about where I was interested in going career wise and how working at Abt fit into that. It was really a pretty easy interview and I felt like I got to ask her a lot about what she does for Abt.

After that I met over video conference with one of Abt's Officers. She was kind and talked a lot about the team work aspects of the company. She asked a little bit about me, but mostly spent the time filling me in on the nature of the work and culture of the company.

Next I met with another Senior Analyst/Statistician. He also was pleasant, though very straight forward and blunt. He asked about my experience with several statistical programming languages primarily and about my experience with statistical modeling techniques. I left feeling confident, that I had now made two great impressions with important interviewers.

Finally, I met with another Lead Analyst, she asked about my background in statistics and familiarity with SAS. She was very to the point, but I did get to talk about my goals and how I could see Abt being a great place to learn, grow, and make a difference in the world through my career.

After that I was picked up by the kind HR rep and we had an impromptu interview about the benefits and culture at Abt. This was actually a really meaningful conversation and I think that the culture sounded pretty excellent.

Interview Questions

• How to translate what I was doing in Parametric Cost Estimation for Military Programs into analyzing the success of educational or housing programs for insights into stopping or continuing with improvement of these programs.   1 Answer

Abt Associates returned by telling me I did not qualify for the position I interviewed for, but that they wold gladly bring me on board at a lower position. The salary for the position they wanted to bring me on at was lower than the salary I received starting off with my current employer three years earlier.

Senior Analyst/Technical Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

When I applied and after being referred by Abt employee, I was invited to an interview after exactly 6 days. Went to the interview one week after. After a 15min delay, the interview started with 2 people physically present and 1 by conference call. One key person from the panel was missing. No HR coordinator or recruiter was part of the panel. The whole Interview lasted for 45 mins. I was put at ease by the panel. I was asked the traditional question "Tell us about yourself" and other ones. I was told to receive a feedback from HR within a week, which happened since the position had to be filled before the end of the month.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself in 5 years? What's the most innovative approach in the field of International Health?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abt Associates (Bethesda, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and we set up an interview 3 weeks into the future at their office. I videoconferenced with 4 employees and had 1 in-person interview over a span of 3 hours. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and laid back, which comforted me (probably a bit too much now that I think of it). A majority of the time the employees described the culture of the organization and their day to day processes. When they did ask questions, it was simple behavioral questions and experience straight from my resume. Every employee mentioned at least one time that they were impressed with the experiences I had described and thought it was admirable I had worked multiple internships while in graduate school. I got a semi-verbal offer before I left my final interview, but when I followed up a week later, I was told that the hiring team felt as if my skills did not match this position. I was really upset that I did not get this position, it seems like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to get a Ph.D? Why did you choose the writing sample you did?   Answer Question