Academy Sports & Outdoors Team Lead Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.6

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial interview was done by two managers at the same time. The Assistant manager and the senior team lead. Interviewers did most of the talking and I was asked three questions. I also did a phone interview. Next interview is with store director.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Laredo, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process included 2 separate interviews with a different manager. The first interview is quite simple, asking questions regarding why you are interested in the position and why you feel you are suited to be a Team Lead. The second interview consists of more in depth situational questions on how you would manage, react, and resolve tasks, events, and issues.

Interview Questions

• If multiple managers asked you to complete different tasks at the same time, how would you prioritize these tasks?   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

typical retail interview with basic what would you do in this situation questions. just make sure to make eye contact and answer the questions straight forward. They like people with high energy. dress business casual for your interview.

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2015.

Interview

Panel interview with project managers. Asked basic questions about merchandising and remodel experience. nothing too difficult. lasted about 30 mins, very informal, the managers were very accommodating to my work schedule

Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Orange Park, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

You sit near the office to which you will interview in for about 10-15 minutes since the hiring manager has to get ready or finish up any of there tasks that they can not leave undone. Like any interview the manager will walk up to you and introduce themselves with a hand shake. You will sit in their office and the interview does not last long depending on if you talk more about the interview. All questions asked are situational, about what you have accomplished, and your skills and abilities.

Interview Questions

• What would you say was your best moment at your last job?   1 Answer

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2014.

Interview

Questions were not very difficult. Wanted to know if I could be a team-player and work in a fast-paced environment. Interview took about 20 minutes. The manager did not seem too eager since it was a retail position and jobs come and go very quickly. It was not an intimidating process however.

Interview Questions

• Name a mistake you made in your last job and the steps you took to fix the mistake.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Was offered a base salary.

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Chattanooga, TN).

Interview

They do an initial phone screen about your availability, work history, and wages. If selected they will call u in for a face to face interview with the manager of the department your working with and the store director. They usual make there decision there. If they call u in they will usually hire you if there are a few applicants otherwise they will call u back in about three days. There is a lot of training on a computer. It tells u about the department your working in and selling techniques. There is no drug screen but there is a background check.

Interview Questions

• No real difficult questions just be prepared to answer questions about what customer service is to you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The more experience the more pay.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

I was called and recieved an interview the next day. It was a fairly formal interview with more traditional interview questions, however, they did also ask behavioral interview questions. I was called back for a second interview with a senior manager and this was more formal and behavioral oriented. They wanted to know what you have done in the past and how you've reacted to situations in the past. Overall it was average.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions. Make sure you research and prepare answers for these behavioral interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Knoxville, TN) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online and received a call approximately one week later. I was interviewed on site by the operations manager who was very friendly and professional. I was asked about my related experience and also was asked several "What would you do in this situation" type questions. It was the first day of interviews for the new store, so I did not expect to receive an offer on the spot. She told me to expect to hear from her within two weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Birmingham, AL) in October 2009.

Interview

I had tried one of the stores closest to me and they wouldn't schedule an interview because lack of retail experience. Got my foot in the door at another store through my daughter who worked there. Once I interviewed I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Wasn't much of a negotiation. Though I was hired at a low rate since I had no retail experience. Found out others hired after me, with no retail experience, got hired at a higher hourly wage.