Academy Sports & Outdoors Team Sports Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Academy Sports & Outdoors Team Sports Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (El Paso, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Apply online and received a phone call to set up an in-person interview about a week later. The interview itself was simple and didn't need anything such as STARS. More a test of personality than to prove capability.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Frisco, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview only lasted for about 30 min. I was interviewed by the team sports manager and the team sports team lead. They ask questions about your personality, work ethic, and past situational examples and how I handled them. They read the questions from what I assume is a template from the home office.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were placed in a negative situation and turned it into a positive experience   Answer Question

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, I was called within 2 days for a phone interview, and then scheduled an in-store interview. It took about 15 minutes and was pretty easy. I was offered the job on the spot

Anonymous Employee in West Monroe, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (West Monroe, LA) in May 2015.

Interview

Lasted about 10 minutes, just dress nicely to assure you get the job for sure. Also try to remember your work experience at prior jobs, because they may ask about it.

Interview Questions

• Name the most memorable time that you have gone above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Very easy and straightforward. Met with what I think was store manager. He took us back to a room at the back of the store for the interview. He talked a few minutes about Academy before going into his questions.

Interview Questions

• Name an example of how you gave good customer service?   Answer Question

The pay was not enough and was only offering part time.

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Applied online and got called all in 5 days. Started with a phone interview with simple questions, just why you want to work there and to tell a little about yourself. At the end of the phone interview they schedule you for an in person interview. The in person interview wasn't bad, asked how you would handle a difficult customer, experience working with a team, and if you play/played sports or do outdoor activities. I originally applied to be a cashier, but they asked me if I would be more comfortable as a cashier or a team sports sales associate, and I went for team sports. They hired me on the spot. They said they usually hire more people during the summer. I was then told that I would receive an email asking to accept a background check, which was sent the day after the interview. After I accepted, the background check is cleared and human resources will call you in to fill out paperwork. That took 5 days total.

Interview Questions

• What is something you failed at and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They ask what you expect to be payed. I said 7.50, they offered me 8.00.

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Cedar Park, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Quick and easy, was hired on the spot. Asked general questions and was given time to answer them. He mostly asked short questions and let me do most of the talking.

Interview Questions

• the norm. tell me about a time when you were faced with a tough situation and how did you handle it. Basic questions.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a little about yourself.   1 Answer

Negotiation

when asked what I was looking for pay wise I had an idea of what they would do and I told him right there what I wanted and it's what I got. I do that at all interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Clarksville, TN) in January 2014.

Interview

Very laid back and easygoing. The manager made the interview simple and welcoming, which reduced and stress and nervousness. The questions weren't difficult and dealt more with how to deal with certain situations rather than actual selling.

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Victoria, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Was very precise and to the point. Very quick. I felt very comfortable at the interview and didnt feel nervous as i did at other interviews. My hiring manager was Tim, who was no longer there anymore, but he did a very great job and was a great manager!

Anonymous Employee in Webster, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Webster, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I was called 2 weeks after I submitted my application online and was informed what was going on and how many hours I would be looking at (~28) weekly. I was asked my pay range and based on my experience, I said $8.25-8.75 (be reasonable from your own experience - I have 4 1/2 years retail experience and played sports in the past). I asked how early and late the shifts would be. I was told anywhere from 7am to 11pm with shifts in between.

I came in the next day for an interview with the Lead of Team Sports, Hunting & Fishing, and [one other department]. I was interviewed in a separate room and was given scenarios and was asked to compare those scenarios with past experiences. Pretty simple. I was told that even though I was going to be hired as part-time for my first 90 days, I could always pick up shifts and work full-time. After my 90 days, I would get a review; and if everything goes great, I would be labeled as full-time.

I was awarded the higher end of my wage request ($8.75/hr) and got my paperwork finished when I came back later that day.

I let them know that I was still with my current employer so my first day is in 6 days while my 2 weeks notice takes in effect at my current employer..

Interview Questions

• Given scenarios and was asked to compare those scenarios with past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was awarded the higher end of my wage request ($8.75/hr)