Academy of Art University Admissions Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Academy of Art University Admissions Advisor Interview Questions

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

This was a very negative interviewing experience. Initially, it seemed like a decent job, as I have a strong background in sales and the "Admissions Advisor" is really a sales position. I was interviewed by two people at the same time. They asked me about my background and I told them that I had been the Number One sales associate for my division at a Fortune Top 40 company. The person who was leading the interview asked why I no longer worked there and I told her that I had been laid off. She then started arguing with me, stating that it seemed unlikely that a company would lay off its top salesperson. I explained to her that the company cut the people who made the most and the least in commission. She still acted like she thought I was lying. VERY unprofessional.

It gets worse. I asked if there was any chance of advancement in the company and the same woman told me -- and I quote -- "Well, you have to work for it. No one's going to give you something for free." I wish I were kidding here, but that's what she said. I told her that I expected to work hard, but I wanted to know if there was at least potential for advancement. She then proceeded to tell me her life's story. How she got to this job right out college and worked hard and that's why she was in the position she was in. In short, the interview turned out to be mostly about her. It was weird, I thought they called because they wanted to hear about me and my qualifications.

Oh well, I'm sure that they found someone else to sell their school over the phone. I didn't like the interview at all and I would not have worked there because the woman running the interview was in a high-ranking position and everyone seemed to report to her.

I strongly recommend looking elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What is your background?   Answer Question
  • The Admissions Advisor is primarily a sales position. How do you feel about sales?   Answer Question
  • Let's say that I am a fifteen year-old kid calling you. I have an interest in drawing. How do you sell me on the Academy of Art?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Academy of Art University

Admissions Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

It's a normal interview, though I did have a new HR person sit in on the interview. Make sure you know the job position you're applying for--the recruiter who gave me the info for this job sent the wrong information so I focused on the wrong things (know that it's an inside sales position with little face-to-face time). Keep in mind that although it's sales, it's not hard sales--you're trying to make sure it's a good fit for possible students as well. It's sort of a mix between college counselor and sales in that sense.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy of Art University in June 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked standard Phone Screen questions and then said that I would hear from them by the end of the week if they wanted to move forward, and if I didn't hear from them then I did not get the position.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University in November 2011.

Interview

The phone interview consisted of questions regarding my sales background. After, there was an in person interview that was fairly standard. The process took a while, and in the end, I was declined the offer because I had applied both online and through a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a difficult time and how you handled it.   Answer Question