Academy of Art University Admissions Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Academy of Art University Admissions Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Academy of Art University

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Step one was a Skype interview, which went just fine and actually left me thinking that, perhaps, all of the terrible, negative reviews online might be wrong. After the initial Skype interview, I was invited in for an onsite interview with the same woman I had spoken with on Skype. This, also, seemed to go fine. I was then asked to come back again, mind you I lived three hours away, to do a fake presentation and tour for the same woman and two managers, a male and female. This part was awkward. I get what they were trying to do, but both during the "role play" and outside of it, these two managers were two of the worst humans I've ever come across. The female manager seems as if she must be absolutely miserable in her personal life, and she's taking it out on anyone and everyone that comes near her. The male manager was ok, but seemed to be overpowered by the harsh, abrasive female counterpart. They made me feel so unwelcome, I cannot even imagine working for them on a day-to-day basis. In my opinion, and from currently being in an HR position, this is NOT how you want to make interview candidates feel. You should want your candidate to feel welcome and feel like this is a company that they would love to work for. No wonder this institution can't keep employees! They treat you terribly and constantly push their own misery off on you. After the miserable interview process, they take weeks to get back to you with updates. Everything about this place is unprofessional and uninviting. The HR department at Academy of Art University should truly be ashamed of how these employees represent the university. I'd rather flip Big Macs for minimum wage at McDonald's than work here.

Interview Questions

• I had to give a presentation to the managers as if I were presenting to potential students.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Academy of Art University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The process was pretty standard. You meet with someone from HR for a preliminary interview, then interview with a few people in the Admissions department. The position isn't quite what they describe online. Once I went through the interview process and spoke to various people that worked there it sounded more and more like just a sales representative.

Interview Questions

• What do you understand about our school?   1 Answer

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

i received a phone call the next day after I submitted an online application, the phone call was from HR dept about 3-5 mins, scheduled for two onsite interviews the following week - with HR and with your team managers, about 30 minutes each, easy-avg questions, mostly strength & weakness questions. Then received a phone call with offer after 3-5 days.

Interview Questions

• why do you think we should hire you for the job   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

-1 month time frame
    -phone interview/screening followed by a panel and additional individual meetings
    -background took quite some time
    -when discussing benefits they avoid going into specific details and often leave certain details out, like Saturday work days
    -training is about a month long, with exams that determine whether or not you can move forward in your position
    -real understanding happens when you are on the floor

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

-got a call within a week
    -short 10 minute phone interview
    -interview with HR
    -interview with COO
    -got a call within the next 2 days
    -the whole process was about 2-3 weeks
    -paid 3 week training

Interview Questions

• -"Our students are not like ordinary students. They're artists and they think different. How would you handle that?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed for this position via Skype, as I did not live in the immediate area, and had to sit for three Skype interviews and one in-person interview total. Once I arrived for my in-person interview, they were running late, and never bothered to notify me if I did indeed get the job in the time they specified. I had to continuously email them, and was finally given my answer by their automated email service.

Interview Questions

• What kind of candy do you like most in the world? Ok, now sale me that piece of candy. (unexpected)   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

The interview process for this position was very lengthy. Several phone/Skype interviews. I actually was in town and set-up a time to meet with the staff in the office. Interview was the same as phone interviews - same questions. I heard back the following week with a decline.

I was very proactive and really tried to express my passion and commitment to the position, how willing I was to move, etc etc.

Interview Questions

• Your background is in the sciences, how do you think this will affect your ability to connect with Arts students?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online for a few different positions for which I am not only qualified, but over-qualified. Anyways, got an email asking if I would be interested in the Admissions Rep. position, I emailed back, basically saying thanks but no thanks..they called a week later regardless of this disinterest.. So I figure, OK, maybe I should give em' a shot, maybe it won't be so bad? Ehh....

By the way, I completely failed that phone interview. I mean, wrecked it. I was completely thrown off by the on the spot interview. It consisted of some background questions, "Who were some of the most difficult types of students you dealt with" blah blah. I wasn't sure if I even wanted the position, and it totally came off that way, but STILL, I was granted an interview, so of course, I accepted. :)

So I go to SF and interview with a pretty nice lady. I'll be honest, I didn't get a school vibe from this chick at all. Business all the way. Cut-throat with a smile. Yikes. Anywho, she asked me all the stuff previously mentioned, "Why our school?" and a lot of repetitious crap from the phone interview. A lot of questions asking how I would deal with shy or introverted students. From this question came role play..YAY. So she acts like a disinterested student, claiming she is merely "introverted", and asks how I would motivate this individual. I stop the role play at some point and tell her that she sounds terribly disinterested and pushing on seems a bit forced, and then it hit me, FORCED, THAT'S WHAT SHE WANTS, SHE DOESN'T WANT THIS STUDENT TO DECIDE ON THEIR OWN TIME WHEN TO START SCHOOL; EMPOWERMENT? WHY LET THEM DECIDE? PUSH PUSH PUSH.

I asked during the interview what the cut-off is for calling a student when they repeatedly don't answer their phone, she dodged and sugar-coated saying, "It's all about closure," Decoded for those of you who don't speak BS, this means "Call until you get a solid no or yes, even if this takes 439390 calls, DO IT"

What's perhaps the worst is the exploitation of artists and their mind-set during the whole interview. She kept claiming that artists consistently need guidance and prodding in order to fulfill their goals. As if all artists get so caught up in their work they forget all about school. I know plenty of artists who went to school and loved every minute of it. If a student lacks the ambition to enroll in classes, who the hell am I to force them to do so? But students = money, and they want it, so yeah.

Don't sell your soul, cats. Do good. Do right.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Found out about the position through a third party hiring agency and had an initial phone with them. It lasted about 20 minutes. The next interview was recorded through Skype and also conducted with the hiring agency. They submitted the video responses to AAU, and then they called me in for two in person interviews in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• Really nothing I hadn't prepared for by researching the company and general position responsibilities! The final two women that I met with were very rude and the interview lasted 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

Initally went to the job fair - was contacted by another recruiter to go to the interview. Had several phone interviews and a panel interview. I was asked to do a lot of role playing - pretending I was calling the student.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a student who is very shy over the phone? What would you say?   Answer Question