Academy of Art University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Financial Aid Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had two interviews for this position. The first was meeting my main contact at HR who had initially reached out to me after I applied for the position. It was a basic, easy, and straight forward interview. The interviewer was very easy to talk to and invited me back to meet the Co-Director of Financial Aid. I came back for a second interview and it was also a very standard interview. If anything, with this interview I felt that the Co-Director was working very hard to connect and be personable, which made me feel at ease. There were a lot of personal questions asked, which I personally liked. I left the interview feeling like it was meeting a new friend for the first time and felt good about getting an offer.

Academy of Art University Response

Aug 11, 2017 – Talent Success Team

Awesome! Thank you for providing this feedback. A candidate’s interview experience should be straightforward and positive. We are glad the process went so well for you. Welcome to the Academy of... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

I got a Skype interview first, and then a face-to-face interview with my supervisor. The whole process is positive and pretty standard. No tough questions. They just interested to know you and how you can be a fit for this job.

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. I went through 5 interviews total. Presentation skills a must. Lots of questions about hypothetical situations. Diplomatic approach to public relations and education. This is a front-facing position so you encounter people of all walks of life.

Interview Questions

• They ask about times you encountered difficult people or situations.   Answer Question

Photo Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Answered some email inquires to cover basic information, then telephone call to better understand the job's requirements and expectations. Right away the interviewer understood the hurtles of moving to the Bay area, but was very helpful in seeking solutions, possible benefits of working for the school. Unfortunately, there were no health benefits for a position that is basically seasonal; 3 times a year, classifying employee as part-time. It's a challenge trying to live and work in the Bay area due to the massive living costs, institutions will be hard pressed to get fresh talent from outside the city.

Interview Questions

• Ability to relocate to the city with the salary offered.   1 Answer

Photography Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Academy of Art University in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview two days later. That was pretty brief, with an overview of some of my experience and of this position. She told me the pay is $13/hour, that night and weekend shifts are pretty much required, and that it's a position contracted for each semester. She asked if that was all okay, I said yes, and she set up an in-person interview with HR for me. That interview was pretty straight-forward, mainly reviewing my resume and me talking about my experience. I was told this interview would be just 30 minutes with her, but that went well so they sent me to another site to meet with the photo lab managers. Luckily I had free time that afternoon because the process unexpectedly took about 2 hours. The in-depth technical interview with the actual photo hiring managers was much more difficult and they had a lot of specific questions about my experience with equipment. Before we sat down for the interview, they showed me around the facilities and explained a lot of what I would be doing. They seemed pretty nice and I could tell it was going well. Toward the end they showed me the perks--a nice shirt and jacket uniform, a key card, and he said I would be getting health insurance, which makes sense because the job is full-time. The original woman I interviewed on the phone with called me back that afternoon to offer me the position and she also informed me, however, that the job does not include health benefits because it is "part time." Although it's a minimum of 40 hours per week, you don't working for the entire period between semesters and need to be rehired, so they're able to label it part time. That was on a Thursday and I took the weekend to think about it, ultimately informing her on Monday that I was going to turn it down.

Interview Questions

• They asked about whether or not I had used various types of equipment and specifically which ones, like lighting, C-stands, cameras, etc.   1 Answer

It's a full-time job but they found a loophole to label it part-time and not give their workers health benefits. This was a red flag to me about how they value their employees.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The process was great, the recruiter was very easy to speak with. I was asked a series of questions regarding hourly availability to see if it was a match and was informed of the contractual parameters for the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked regarding preferred salary, it seems like they are working out competitive rates for the position.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

You speak with HR. You meet the team and have to explain your proficiency in the software. And you take a drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much of negotiation. The pay is set in stone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

A week after I applied for the job, that I found on Craigslist, I received a phone call to set up a time to come in. The interview consisted of a HR rep and the hiring manager for the department that I was interested in. They asked me general questions that are obvious, but also asked how I handle situations in which someone does not speak English on a native level. Be prepared for that question is my recommendation.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle situations in which a student does not understand or speak English as a native language?   1 Answer

Administrator Interview

Application

Interview

Long and drawn out interview process with many steps. In total I interviewed with 7 different people, some more than once. There was also a skill test, but as long as you are familiar with basic word and excel tasks it is a very easy test.

Interview Questions

Academy of Art University Response

Jan 4, 2018 – Talent Success Team

The quality of education provided by Academy of Art University is a direct result of our employee’s professional skill and passion. Though the interview process may have seemed extensive, it is... More

Admissions Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

It was nice, and easy. Very good questions. Relaxed environment

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging thing you experienced in past job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not

Admissions Interview

Interview

Very uptight feel... Really hard to connect with the two ladies who interviewed me... I left feeling like I didn't get the job. The admissions department is very uptight and ran very strict. You can be out of there in no time.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not normal interview questions. I found them to be random and some caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was this is what we offer, yes or no?