Academy of Art University Photography Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Academy of Art University Photography Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Academy of Art University

1 Interview Review

Photography Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Academy of Art University in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview two days later. That was pretty brief, with an overview of some of my experience and of this position. She told me the pay is $13/hour, that night and weekend shifts are pretty much required, and that it's a position contracted for each semester. She asked if that was all okay, I said yes, and she set up an in-person interview with HR for me. That interview was pretty straight-forward, mainly reviewing my resume and me talking about my experience. I was told this interview would be just 30 minutes with her, but that went well so they sent me to another site to meet with the photo lab managers. Luckily I had free time that afternoon because the process unexpectedly took about 2 hours. The in-depth technical interview with the actual photo hiring managers was much more difficult and they had a lot of specific questions about my experience with equipment. Before we sat down for the interview, they showed me around the facilities and explained a lot of what I would be doing. They seemed pretty nice and I could tell it was going well. Toward the end they showed me the perks--a nice shirt and jacket uniform, a key card, and he said I would be getting health insurance, which makes sense because the job is full-time. The original woman I interviewed on the phone with called me back that afternoon to offer me the position and she also informed me, however, that the job does not include health benefits because it is "part time." Although it's a minimum of 40 hours per week, you don't working for the entire period between semesters and need to be rehired, so they're able to label it part time. That was on a Thursday and I took the weekend to think about it, ultimately informing her on Monday that I was going to turn it down.

Interview Questions

• They asked about whether or not I had used various types of equipment and specifically which ones, like lighting, C-stands, cameras, etc.   1 Answer

It's a full-time job but they found a loophole to label it part-time and not give their workers health benefits. This was a red flag to me about how they value their employees.