Accenture Senior Consultant Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Accenture Senior Consultant Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Accenture (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied through a headhunter who interviewed me first. Then, a recruiter had a general discussion with me about the firm. After that, they set up a "skills interview" with a manager (who was 6 years younger than me and had less org change experience than me by 3 years - fun). Also, she only had a BA from whereas I had a PhD in the filed they were hiring for.

She was supposed to focus on my skills, but she asked things like "why aren't you going back to [your former firm]" (they're not hiring - and how is this a skill?) and "why do you want to work in utilities" (when the job description said that you don't need any experience in utilities or interest in it - they are hiring based on org change skills, not an industry). But, you need to play the game and pretend you have a passion for utilities and accenture's culture. I don't even think she read or comprehended my resume because of the way she asked her questions. Also, during the interview, she said how miserable the employees are at accenture because the whole firm locked people into industries arbitrarily. She asked about one of my projects specifically, and it happened to be something at my old firm where we were hired to clean up the mess that Accenture left behind at a major client. Since she asked, I told the truth. But, I'd advise you not to make that mistake. Just remember: Accenture is perfect - they never messed anything up.

In the end, she told the headhunter that I was "too theoretical" and didn't have enough experience. I had more experience than she did - and I certainly never mentioned any "theory." I was rejected within 24 hours. So, essentially she knew that it wasn't going to happen when she hung up the phone, even though she pretended to be really interested in my experience and liked my answers. The interview seemed to have gone very well, which made the immediate rejection rather jarring and odd. Not to mention, on paper, I am light years beyond her, and I was applying to work FOR her (not directly, but she was a manager and I applied for a senior consultant position). To make this even more ridiculous - I had the same position at their competitor in 2008! So, in 2015 - I got rejected for a job I had 7 years ago (that paid more 7 years ago, incidentally).

Also, in speaking with people who know more about this, we strongly suspect this was homophobia. Accenture does not want openly gay men in the utilities practice which has predominantly blue collar, homophobic clients. I thought it was strange that she spent way too much time asking me about some of my former research in grad school on gays and lesbians, and that had nothing do to with this job whatsoever. So much for all of accenture's accolades for LGBT people. Maybe they have a great LGBT group inside the firm, but I'd love to know how many people they reject based on that because they prefer to stay in the 1980s with their clients' perceptions of gay people.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some ways you would innovate, how have you innovated? What aspects of change management projects have you worked on? Why aren't you going back to your old firm? Why do you want to work in the Utilities Practice?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Accenture

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Accenture (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

3 total interviews. 2 over the phone and 1 face to face. The first 2 were a mix of behavioral questions with problem solving questions as well. Definitely be ready to explain a complex problem and how you have figured out a solution for it. The third interview was just a formaility. If you get past the first 2 you are pretty much locked in to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult problem you had to overcome on a project? What was your solution? Was it a success?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty simple. I gave the celing based on the market and I got what I wanted. Definitely ask for a sign on bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Accenture (Chicago, IL) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview consisted of a case interview along with a fit interview. The fit interview was good, but the case that was given was ridiculously esoteric. It seemed like the guy just made the case up on the spot, and it was presented poorly. If there had been 2 case interviews, or if the guy had stuck to something a little more traditional, it would have been better to assess the competency of individuals.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work at a competing firm?   2 Answers