Active Network Graphic Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Active Network Graphic Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Active Network

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Active Network (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

You take a preliminary exam online (a lot like an IQ test). If selected, you take a design skills assessment. Next comes an interview with your potential supervisor. My interview was very relaxed and conversational, though I'm sure it depends on who you interview with.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Active Network

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Active Network (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

There was a initial phone interview, followed by a personality and IQ test. Then a second interview with Creative Director. Then they wanted me to work on a "test" project... FOR FREE!!!?? That is called spec work, and it's unethical.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about my work experience, software use, etc.   Answer Question

They were asking me to work on test project for FREE.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Active Network (Dallas, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire application process went quickly. Upon applying I first took the cognitive/aptitude test, then the recruiter contacted me for an initial phone interview. She told me more about the position and the company. I then took the cognitive test over Skype, and was sent a design assessment. I enjoyed the design assessment much more than ones previous companies had assigned. A few hours after I sent it to the recruiter she told me the graphic design team supervisor would like to set up a video interview. We had it later that day, and it went very well. The supervisor was so kind and passionate about her role and her team. It was obvious that she was a very hard worker--the kind of person I wanted to work under sure. She went over my design assessment, portfolio, and past work experience. She made me feel very welcome and the entire interview felt totally natural. She also told me about the team and the role I would play if I was offered the job. A few hours after the interview the recruiter contacted me and offered me the position and I began a few weeks later!

Interview Questions

• What is one project in your past that was difficult and really stretched you and explain in detail?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Active Network (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I had to take 2 aptitude and personality tests. After I suppose passing them I was setup for a phone interview. The phone interview went well except for interviewer complaining about her staff being order takers and not being proactive. The interviewer didn't like that she had to review the work because of the group passing subpar work. Seemed odd to take shots at her current team while speaking to a prospective team member. I brought up my web development background and was told it would be an asset because of the current developers being swamped. That was nice to hear. Then I was told they would set up a face to face interview.

A few days later I received an email from a HR rep the previous interviewer wanting me to take a design test. I was upset because if we once went over my portfolio this wouldn't have been necessary. Either this is just the process or they didn't believe my portfolio. I was given a 4 hour time limit to complete the following. The test involved making an infographic with data points about flooding. Also for extra credit and for experienced only(the exact language used) I was asked to create a landing page. It needed to include a header, hero image, feature of the infographic, as well as a short form leading them to the donation. Copy was provided for the infographic but not the extra credit. If I'm a candidate that is being judged for a design position provide all the copy. I'm not a copywriter. Completed the task and then was contacted for a face to face.

I had a 1:1 interview with a senior graphic designer I previously spoke with over the phone. We never went over my portfolio. Having an interview and not going over my portfolio makes no sense. The only thing we went over was the website I made that was extra credit. She liked it but had some critiques. Now I understand receiving criticism but receiving it on something I didn't have to do seemed weird to focus on. The interviewer didn't like that an animation didn't fire. I opened up the dev tools and double checked and saw the classes were correct and refreshed the page and they fired correctly. I didn't bring up the 4 hour time limit but I did an illustrated infographic and a coded landing page in that time frame. And the only critique was about the part I didn't have to do.

Then the conversation went into how the interviewer liked being asked by higher management to do work for them. The interviewer talked about being asked to make something and being able to submit it to a magazine since it happened for them. I've never had an interviewer brag about themselves before. It was brought up that two designers leaving and was told that the company moving caused a lot of attrition. Then the interviewer implied that her senior level happened because of this. The interviewer also told me about aspirations about moving up in the company and wanting to move on from the current group they are responsible for.

Then the interviewer began to take shots at the team again. It was mentioned that its hard to sign off on designs because of lack of time. I asked how are you helping them get better to avoid having to do this so often. The response was I don't have time. Ok?

Behind us were designs of landing pages and I brought up what we talked about on the phone. The chances of me working on that changed. That didn't seem like that was going to happen. Then I was told that the interviewer wanted people to just design their butts off. Ok?

We never went over my portfolio. I've never had that happen before. Ever. The interview wasn't organized and could tell the interview hasn't done many or is just poor at conducting them. It was awful to hear the interviewer taking shots at the team they are responsible for. That person has no faith in them and seems to feel they are just babysitting them. If I was offered a position I would have rejected it solely because the person in charge seemed liked a bad fit.

Interview Questions

• What didn't you like about the data given to you?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Active Network.

Interview

I went through 2 phone interviews that were relatively easy. The onsite interview was around 1hr and the questions were easy to moderate. Active was great about showing me around the office so I could get a feel of the creative environment and where each department is. I felt that the two people that interviewed me asked great questions and included lots of follow up questions in order to understand who I was and if I would fit in with the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you ran into a conflict with a design project.   Answer Question