Acumen Data and Policy Analyst - Statistical Programmer Interview Questions | Glassdoor
Glassdoor Logo

Find jobs for Data and Policy Analyst - Statistical Programmer

Acumen Data and Policy Analyst - Statistical Programmer Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2018

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA).

Interview

Found the job opening on my campus recruitment site. Submitted an application online through the Acumen website and received an email within a week to schedule a phone interview (which would be a few weeks later). Phone interview was about 30 minutes long, pretty informal, just going through my resume and research experience and why I wanted to work at Acumen specifically (make sure you have a good answer for that). Had to describe the data analysis, in detail, that I had done in the past.

Heard back a week or two later when they requested that I fly out for an in-person interview. Only offered to reimburse $400, which covered about 2/3 of the cost of the trip. Interview was about 5 hours. Began with a very easy logic/stat test, kind of like the SAT/GRE. Didn't need that much stat knowledge beyond the basics. Then moved on to a series of 5 interviews, one of which was held casually over lunch. Everyone was very nice and smart. Asked questions about my research experience, why I wanted to work there, and what interested me about data analytics. Intellectual curiosity, a desire to continue learning after college, and some computer competencies, were I think the main things they were looking for. Didn't need a huge interest in policy.

Overall, a nice place with smart, motivated people. Projects seem interesting with a lot of room to grow over the first couple of years. Definitely wish they had reimbursed fully and offered a higher salary.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into the policy field instead of the tech industry?   Answer Question

Mar 10, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for this feedback on our interview process. We would appreciate any follow up feedback once you have started working at Acumen as well.

Other Interview Reviews for Acumen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online, which was a tedious process compared to most other companies. They asked for lots of information, and the application platform was poorly designed. The next day I received a request to upload a coding sample in .txt format to their website, which I provided. Within 24 hours they sent me an Excel assignment that I had one week to complete. The assignment wasn't too difficult, but it took me many more hours than their suggested time commitment (2 hours). They then scheduled a phone interview to discuss the Excel assignment, where I was asked to reiterate information that I had already provided in my response to the assignment. I was then invited to an on-site interview that was about 4 hours long and consisted of a 1 hour logic/probability exam as well as four individual in-person interviews. I found the exam's difficulty to be appropriate given the time constraint. The interviews were mostly behavioral questions and questions about specific experiences listed on my resume. The interviewers were all intelligent, although their friendliness varied. After the on-site interview, I was instructed to fill out yet another online form asking for even more detailed information about myself, so they could perform a background check (they work with confidential government information so this is a regulatory requirement for them). Finally, a full week after I submitted the last form, they emailed me to say I was rejected. When I requested more information regarding their decision, they did not tell me anything useful.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to work with data, whether it be in a professional, academic, or casual setting. Describe the problems you had to figure out, and the solution you came up with.   Answer Question

Jul 6, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review on our application process. Our process can take some time depending on the position. We are aware of our application platform and are working... More

Data and Policy Analyst-- Statistical Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Acumen (Washington, DC) in December 2017.

Interview

First, I received a data exercise which should spend no more than two hours, after I submitted my answer, I received a phone interview which was totally based on the exercise. There was no right answer I guess, if you could justify why you do certain analyses, that would be OK. Then, I got the on-site interview. A simple logic test and three rounds one on one interview with different project managers. Be sure to know every detail about your experiences on the resume. And I had a small quiz with one of the manager, he asked about questions based on his previous projects.

Interview Questions

• Which project on your resume do you find most interesting and tell me more about it.   Answer Question

Jun 4, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

I apologize for the delayed response. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Data and Policy Analyst - Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

Discussed about an Excel data exercise that I required to complete within one week. 30-min phone interview. Have the chance to ask questions about Acumen for the interviewer in the end.

Interview Questions

• How did you approach to do it and what is the conclusion?   Answer Question

Jun 5, 2018 – Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.