Acumen Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Acumen Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview Questions

2.5

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

I submitted application online, and got invitation to a statistical test. Once passed, you will receive phone interview followed by on-site interview. I went to Acumen's office, talked to 7 people. Most of the conversation is about past research experience and some basic statistical modeling questions. They also shared what projects they are working on at Acumen. The on-site interview includes a numeric/logical test. They also took me to a neighborhood restaurant for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your research experience
    Discuss the statistical test   Answer Question

May 16, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for leaving a review.

Other Interview Reviews for Acumen

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

After I submitted the cover letter, resume, transcript and sample code, I got a case analysis test by answering three questions based on a excel data. Then followed by a phone interview about resume screening. I'm going to the on-site this coming Thursday. At most 200$ reimbursement for traveling and housing. I really like the HRs there. They response super fast. I got the phone interview chance couple of hours after I submitted the case analysis, and I got the on-site opportunity 30 mins after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Where did you heard about Acumen? Please guid me go through an analytical project you have done including the model and any quantitative methods you used.   Answer Question
    • I asked him what did he think about my case analysis. Because I spent a lot of time preparing any potential questions he might ask before the interview. But he ended up asking nothing about that. He said it was pretty good. That's it.   Answer Question

Feb 1, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share a review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

After the application submission, first a quantitative test, and then a phone screen to talk about the test. Then I was flown in for on-site interviews, which consisted of another basic reasoning test and talks with people from all over the company. They were all great and interesting people, was good to meet them.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Feb 1, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Put in my resume and heard back a week later from HR to set up a phone interview with two associates, whom I shall not name. I was invited to an on-site meeting a couple days later, but I declined. Why?

To start, when I was asked over the phone to define and explain the t-test, I did just that. However, one of the interviewers mistaken the t-test for the F-test, and he tried correcting me. I pushed back. I pointed out he was wrong. I went so far as to reference the Wooldridge econometrics textbook to explain to him the difference between a t-test and an F-test. The guy said, "Oops, my bad." That was a red flag for me.

Then there were the programming questions. I asked them if the company used R or Python. There was a brief silence. Then one of them said, "Naw, me and him don't know nothing about R nor Python." Another red flag. I'm an English language purist. I know what's grammatical and what's not when I hear it. This was not grammatical.

These two reasons alone--(1) the failure to grasp basic statistics and (2) the inability to speak grammatical English--were sufficient for me to decline to proceed further. I was looking to join a company with high-caliber people from whom I could learn and acquire new skills. After my phone interview, I didn't think I would get that here at Acumen. I was unimpressed.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Feb 1, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for leaving a review. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a positive phone interview experience.

Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview

Interview

Phone interview-- I like it, basically because this is the only job I was looking into.
    Hmmm, just wanted to post some questions for other people's references.

Interview Questions

• Why interested in Acumen?
      Past research experience?
      Future plans?   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Acumen in October 2013.

Interview

After meeting with a rep at a university career fair and applying online they set up a brief (maybe 30-45 minutes) phone interview. The interview was pretty low-key, centering on my previous experience in statistical and quantitative work and any questions I had about the company. Nothing technical or even any basic interview-type questions. Maybe a week later they invited me to fly out for an on-site interview, but after they refused to reimburse my full expenses I declined to continue with the process. As I understand it their contracts with the government preclude them reimbursing above a certain amount, and I figured that I didn't want to work at a place with restrictions like that.

Everyone was as nice as they could be in the interview process though.

Interview Questions

• Given that I only did a basic phone screen, nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview

Interview

The process take not too long, but the questions are too simple, similar to basic GRE quantitative questions. I don't know why many students from top universities were interviewed and hired.....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Submit resume online and given a coding test about texas poker two weeks later. After one week submitting the program, was contacted by HR for a telephone interview. One week more, was invited to have an on-site interview however only reimburse 250 dollars for the travel, which is not even enough for air-ticket only. Arrange the interview in early June. Let's wait and see.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview goes deeply into resume. Get prepared for the most recent professional experience you listed on it.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

Got an email from HR about a week after submitting my resume online, saying they'd like to schedule a phone interview. After I replied with some availability, it took at least another week or two for them to get back to me again finally scheduling it.

The phone interview itself was kind of bad. It was with two people, but one of them did pretty much all of the talking. He was very arrogant and seemed completely disinterested in me, instead going through a list of preset questions and being not at all reactionary to anything I said. The questions were pretty boilerplate - describe some data you have worked with, describe some assumptions made by the tests that you did. First thing they asked to start off was "what do you know about Acumen?". Other questions included why are you interested in policy analysis. I said I want to make people's lives better and this apparently was not a good answer because he tried to tell me Acumen doesn't do that (???).

Got an offer for an in-person interview but I failed to schedule it and they followed up saying sorry they couldn't offer me a position.

Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen in April 2013.

Interview

First the recruiter contacted me because I dropped by their stand in career fair. After talking to her, I had another phone interview with one analyst in the group. He asked me about my project and also told me kind of the work they do. Then they processed to an on-site interview which lasted 2 and half hours. I met with 5 analyst, 1:1, each lasts about 30 minutes. They are from different groups and were going to see what group I might fit better. At the end, there is a math test, which is quite easy, like what you can expected in SAT.

The HR was very unorganized. She rescheduled the phone interview a few time and was slow in response. After I gave her my availability for the on-site interview a week in advance, She replied me the day before the scheduled day, which gave me so little time to prepare. The office looks crappy and the location is bad. I guess if you just want a stable job it's okay, but I don't feel the salary is worth it.