Adobe Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 12, 2017

3.3

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Adobe (Emeryville, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

20 minutes call with a recruiter, 45 minutes phone screening, 4 hours onsite interview.
Google docs were used for screening problems solving. The whole process from the initial call to the offer letter took about 1 - 1.5 weeks. The process itself was pretty well organized. But too much pressure for signing the offer.

Interview Questions

• Reverse linked list   Answer Question
  • Write a queue using stacks   Answer Question
  • Find top K elements in array of size N   Answer Question
  • System design questions, solve some multithreading problem, OOP, a lot of questions about previous experience, some SQL and Linux knowledge checks   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Adobe

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently completed (and flunked) a full interviewing sequence for the Senior Mac/iOS C++ Engineer on the Adobe Application Platform (Torque Native) team and thought it might be useful to recap the experience for the next interview victim coming down the chute. Torque hasn’t been officially announced yet, so I can’t divulge details as to what Adobe has planned, but the Adobe Application Platform name and Torque (codename?) were made public in the job postings so I feel safe to at least refer to them at this point.

Unlike companies like Google, Facebook and LinkedIn (where a pool of engineers from across the company grill a particular candidate to see if they can pass a number of very high technical hurdles), Adobe matches Apple in that a particular team with a specific position in mind will interview the candidate. I did a separate interview for a separate Adobe team two months prior where there were four engineers and one manager doing the interviewing and in that case, almost every engineer on the other team asked me Google-style algorithms questions. For this Torque Native team interview, I had four interviewers in total were one was a manager and the other three were peer engineers. Two of the engineers asked domain specific questions (for my Macintosh & iOS specialty) that I didn’t feel were out of line for the position. The last engineer asked me the brain-freezing questions that torpedoed me out of the running. I’m recapping some of the questions this guy asked me below so you’ll have them in mind in case you’ll be talking to this particular team yourself.

The location in San Francisco is in a former warehouse space that was beautifully renovated a few years back, and they’re in the process of renovating it yet again (all cube walls have been half height up until now, and supposedly Adobe is moving towards the trendy — and IMHO not productive — open plan office space variety). Adobe is picking up other buildings around their original 601 Townsend space, so their cafeteria was also recently renovated and expanded to accommodate the increased population. Unlike Google, Facebook and LinkedIn (where everything in the cafeteria are completely gratis & free), Adobe employees actually have to pay for their lunches. Free soft drinks, fizzy water and fruit are available in the cafeteria and in kitchens on each work floor.

Something else I wasn’t impressed with was that Adobe recruiters are not nearly as helpful as recruiters at other big Silicon Valley companies, such as Amazon or Apple, in terms of preparing you for your interviewers. While the coordinator (a separate person from the recruiter) will likely send you a list of interviewers names prior to the interview, you won’t have any idea of what the interviewers will be talking about so it’ll actually be a challenge to know what to expect when you actually speak to the team. Three out of my four interviewers were friendly and collaborative, one of the engineers was overtly hostile. One useful recommendation I can come up with is to look up your interviewer’s LinkedIn profiles and make an educated guess.

Hopefully my experience flunking Adobe’s Torque Native engineering team interview will help you to prepare for your own day. If you find any of the information I post here to be useful, please let me know by clicking the "helpful" button below. This helps motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my recaps. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• What’s the difference between asynchronous and multi-threaded?   1 Answer
    • What’s the difference between Processes and Threads?   1 Answer
    • If you have two threads trying to set results on the same address in memory, what’s the assembly language instruction used to achieve synchronization?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. I had a telephone call with the computer scientist and then onsite discussion with 4 other team members. They never asked anything tough and were asking very general questions.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The hiring process started off with a phone interview with hiring manager, and then I was invited on-site where I had face-to-face interviews with 4 engineer on the team, the recruiter and the hiring manager. The interviews were pretty straight-forward. They mostly consisted of behavioral questions regarding past experience.

Interview Questions

• The company uses scrum for project planning; so, they asked lots of questions regarding scrum, past experience, pros/cons, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by telephone interview with the Hiring Manager. Hiring Manager was really impressed with the discussion and the second round of telephone interview with a Kid in the team. This kid has no clue as to what he was talking. Was asked by the Kid why i am applying for this position even when i have more than 14 years of experience. Later the recruiter was kind enough to call me and say i do not fit the job profile.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Adobe.

Interview

It was long and detailed but focused on fit with the culture and general skill. It was very good, but lengthy.

Negotiation

Simple.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by six people. The interview sessions lasted 30 minutes each, more or less. Then I was brought in for a one-on-one with a V.P., the person who ended up becoming my direct manager. That interview lasted an hour, as he quizzed me on programming languages and asked how I'd respond to strict deadlines and bug fixes that require emergency work during nights and weekends.

Interview Questions

• What's the longest time you've spend overseeing one project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

I was approached by an in-house recruiter, through my LinkedIn profile. The recruiter sent me a summary job description, that piqued my interest. I also checked out Adobe's benefits, and they're roughly on par with my current company's. So I contacted her, and told I'm not actively looking, but the job seemed fun, and Adobe seems like a nice place to work for.

Then I got into a technical phone screen with the hiring mgr, which didn't seem all that technical. He was mostly concerned with my work history. I also made a point to tell him I was not actively looking to leave my current company; that Adobe contacted ME with a job that seemed worthy of discussion. That might have sold him, because I think I bombed his technical grilling. I had to admit I didn't know OpenGL (ES) that well, and we even went so far as to talk about a graphics project I did in school (a LOOOONG time ago). Morale of this story: you put something on your CV, be ready to talk about it!

So to my surprise, I get called in for a F2F interview a couple days later. I talked to their lead architect, senior manager, the hiring mgr, and a code grunt with bad BO. Well, what I THOUGHT was going to be a rather easy-going discussion about how I can meet the team's goals, turned into an all-out grilling on technical topics that were way over the top for an interview timeslice. They love their threading, with C++ and hard-core ASM.

I made my overall dissatisfaction known about the high difficulty level imposed by the team to the HR lady, and basically told her not to send me a rejection letter. In reality, I should have followed my gut instinct, and leave after talking to their architect. No sense in wasting my time there further.

In any case, I would still interview at Adobe...but I hope they'll still be around as an independent corporate entity, and not gobbled up by the Microsoft borg cube.

Interview Questions

• How would I write a scoped mutex object? This was asked by their architect   1 Answer
    • How would I design a "data-pump" queueing structure for handling the producer-consumer problem?   1 Answer
    • What common ASM instructions can you think of, and can you generate the assembly output for a simple C for-loop, ex:

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++);

Asked by the hiring mgr   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Adobe (Orem, UT) in September 2010.

Interview

I had two onsite interviews at Adobe's Omniture campus in Orem, Utah. Their site is pretty cool; I especially like the wall in the lobby covered with plaques representing many of their high-profile customers. It immediately sets a tone that they are very proud of their customers, very customer-focused, and serious about delivering great products.
    My first interview went pretty well, didn't seem especially great but not bad. A few days afterward I was invited to come for a second interview with the manager of a software team. I left this interview feeling it went great. I thought I did really well on the technical parts of the interview and that I answered the questions asked appropriately. The position was described as a Senior Software Engineering position, but that they were looking for someone who wanted to move into a leadership role shortly, and I assured them this was exactly what I was looking for. So it seemed like everything was lined up well.
    At the end of the interview, I asked what the next steps were. The interviewer said he would have discussion with his boss (who was my first interviewer) and if they liked me they would have me come back for a couple more interviews with the team. But then he added that he had some great employees on his team that knew me and had worked with me and were giving me a high recommendation, and based on the interview we'd just had and the recommendations from his team, he already knew he was going to recommend we move to the next step.
    I left that second interview feeling pretty confident. I felt it had gone really well. And since I'd previously been offered a job at the same level some years before, it seemed likely that I would be able to do well again.
    So I waited to hear back from the recruiter who also works for Adobe in Orem. After a couple of weeks I followed up with him to ask what was happening - I pretty much figured we would be moving on in the process and was wondering what the delay was about. After a couple of tries i finally got the recruiter to reply to e-mail, where he said they had decided not to continue looking at me as a candidate.
    I of course respect their decision, but this really blew me away. I've tried to get a better explanation from the recruiter but nobody there will tell me what happened. The recruiter said he'd try to line me up with another group, but that's the last I've heard of him. I know they are still hiring and I know I am well qualified for other job openings that have come up. I cannot get the recruiter to reply to any further attempts at contact.

Ultimately I respect their decision, but that decision is completely incongruous with the way the interviews went and with what I was told at the end of my second interview. After coming to their campus on two different occasions and spending time there in interviews, I think I at least deserve an honest explanation of why, after the interviews seemingly went so well, they suddenly decided to look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Write code to identify duplicate words in a list of words.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Adobe (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed at adobe recently. Giving interview at adobe is like an acid test. There were 6 rounds. 1st written at hackerank and then back to back 4 technical and one PR. All around were tough no doubt.

Interview Questions

• Each round of interview contain DS question linked list sorting, Selenium, BBT,   Answer Question