Adobe Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Adobe Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I recently completed (and flunked) the interview process for a Senior Engineer on the Adobe Xd team and thought it might be worthwhile to recap the experience for other candidates who may be coming down the pipeline.

Adobe's Xd team has team members spread out all over the U.S. (and at least one in Europe), but the manager's overall goal is to consolidate new members into the San Francisco office. Adobe's main San Francisco office is located in a former warehouse a few blocks away from the Caltrain station and it's been renovated & remodeled very beautifully. I actually used to work for Adobe on a different team at this building years before, so it was nice to see how the space has been fixed up. The first floor lunch room, for example, was recently expanded to be much larger than it was in previous years (this might be because Adobe has started adding additional office space in buildings surrounding and nearby the 601 Townsend location, which was Adobe's original outpost in SF, set up after Adobe acquired Macromedia and their Flash product). One down side is that the newer cubicles are all half height variety, meaning that there's no privacy and not too much ability to concentrate on what's on the screen in front of you when exciting things are happening in a cube or two away.

The way my interview day was set up was that I met a collection of other Senior Software Engineers with at least one junior member and the hiring manager thrown into the mix. The day was scheduled from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. While my first couple discussions went relatively smoothly, I ran into trouble in the afternoon (after lunch) when I started getting asked grad school level algorithm questions. While none of these were really Google-level tricky, my interview nerves switched to "frantic" and I ended up torpedoing my own candidacy. At least I was able to take notes and the questions I was asked are recapped below.

Hopefully my notes will help you to prepare for, and pass, your interview day! If you find them useful, don't forget to click the "helpful?" link below. This helps motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview recaps. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Imagine you have only two eggs and a 100 story building in front of you. Describe an algorithm (or technique) to minimize the number of throws (or tries) to determine where the egg will start to break when thrown off the building. If the egg breaks when thrown from that floor, it will always break from that floor or higher (i.e. all eggs have the same results per floor; they break or they don't).   2 Answers
  • Given exactly one drawing API (e.g. "drawPoint(x, y)"), describe how you would draw the shortest line between points A & B.   1 Answer
  • Given any number, describe an algorithm that increments that number enough to turn the result into a number palindrome (i.e. reads the same left to right and right to left). That is, an input of 1000 would have a palindrome output of 1001. 9019 would have an output of 9119. If the input is already a palindrome, find the next highest palindrome.   2 Answers
  • imagine you're given an array of pairs representing the currently scheduled appointment / meeting times and durations of various team members (e.g. [7, 8.5], [1,2], [2,4], [2,5], [14, 15]). The first number in each pair is the start time, the second number is the end time of that team member's meeting.

Write an algorithm to reduce this down to an array which represents the overall team availability (where the entire team would be available).   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Adobe

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. I had a telephone call with the computer scientist and then onsite discussion with 4 other team members. They never asked anything tough and were asking very general questions.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The hiring process started off with a phone interview with hiring manager, and then I was invited on-site where I had face-to-face interviews with 4 engineer on the team, the recruiter and the hiring manager. The interviews were pretty straight-forward. They mostly consisted of behavioral questions regarding past experience.

Interview Questions

• The company uses scrum for project planning; so, they asked lots of questions regarding scrum, past experience, pros/cons, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by telephone interview with the Hiring Manager. Hiring Manager was really impressed with the discussion and the second round of telephone interview with a Kid in the team. This kid has no clue as to what he was talking. Was asked by the Kid why i am applying for this position even when i have more than 14 years of experience. Later the recruiter was kind enough to call me and say i do not fit the job profile.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Adobe.

Interview

It was long and detailed but focused on fit with the culture and general skill. It was very good, but lengthy.

Negotiation

Simple.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by six people. The interview sessions lasted 30 minutes each, more or less. Then I was brought in for a one-on-one with a V.P., the person who ended up becoming my direct manager. That interview lasted an hour, as he quizzed me on programming languages and asked how I'd respond to strict deadlines and bug fixes that require emergency work during nights and weekends.

Interview Questions

• What's the longest time you've spend overseeing one project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

I was approached by an in-house recruiter, through my LinkedIn profile. The recruiter sent me a summary job description, that piqued my interest. I also checked out Adobe's benefits, and they're roughly on par with my current company's. So I contacted her, and told I'm not actively looking, but the job seemed fun, and Adobe seems like a nice place to work for.

Then I got into a technical phone screen with the hiring mgr, which didn't seem all that technical. He was mostly concerned with my work history. I also made a point to tell him I was not actively looking to leave my current company; that Adobe contacted ME with a job that seemed worthy of discussion. That might have sold him, because I think I bombed his technical grilling. I had to admit I didn't know OpenGL (ES) that well, and we even went so far as to talk about a graphics project I did in school (a LOOOONG time ago). Morale of this story: you put something on your CV, be ready to talk about it!

So to my surprise, I get called in for a F2F interview a couple days later. I talked to their lead architect, senior manager, the hiring mgr, and a code grunt with bad BO. Well, what I THOUGHT was going to be a rather easy-going discussion about how I can meet the team's goals, turned into an all-out grilling on technical topics that were way over the top for an interview timeslice. They love their threading, with C++ and hard-core ASM.

I made my overall dissatisfaction known about the high difficulty level imposed by the team to the HR lady, and basically told her not to send me a rejection letter. In reality, I should have followed my gut instinct, and leave after talking to their architect. No sense in wasting my time there further.

In any case, I would still interview at Adobe...but I hope they'll still be around as an independent corporate entity, and not gobbled up by the Microsoft borg cube.

Interview Questions

• How would I write a scoped mutex object? This was asked by their architect   1 Answer
    • How would I design a "data-pump" queueing structure for handling the producer-consumer problem?   1 Answer
    • What common ASM instructions can you think of, and can you generate the assembly output for a simple C for-loop, ex:

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++);

Asked by the hiring mgr   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Adobe (Orem, UT) in September 2010.

Interview

I had two onsite interviews at Adobe's Omniture campus in Orem, Utah. Their site is pretty cool; I especially like the wall in the lobby covered with plaques representing many of their high-profile customers. It immediately sets a tone that they are very proud of their customers, very customer-focused, and serious about delivering great products.
    My first interview went pretty well, didn't seem especially great but not bad. A few days afterward I was invited to come for a second interview with the manager of a software team. I left this interview feeling it went great. I thought I did really well on the technical parts of the interview and that I answered the questions asked appropriately. The position was described as a Senior Software Engineering position, but that they were looking for someone who wanted to move into a leadership role shortly, and I assured them this was exactly what I was looking for. So it seemed like everything was lined up well.
    At the end of the interview, I asked what the next steps were. The interviewer said he would have discussion with his boss (who was my first interviewer) and if they liked me they would have me come back for a couple more interviews with the team. But then he added that he had some great employees on his team that knew me and had worked with me and were giving me a high recommendation, and based on the interview we'd just had and the recommendations from his team, he already knew he was going to recommend we move to the next step.
    I left that second interview feeling pretty confident. I felt it had gone really well. And since I'd previously been offered a job at the same level some years before, it seemed likely that I would be able to do well again.
    So I waited to hear back from the recruiter who also works for Adobe in Orem. After a couple of weeks I followed up with him to ask what was happening - I pretty much figured we would be moving on in the process and was wondering what the delay was about. After a couple of tries i finally got the recruiter to reply to e-mail, where he said they had decided not to continue looking at me as a candidate.
    I of course respect their decision, but this really blew me away. I've tried to get a better explanation from the recruiter but nobody there will tell me what happened. The recruiter said he'd try to line me up with another group, but that's the last I've heard of him. I know they are still hiring and I know I am well qualified for other job openings that have come up. I cannot get the recruiter to reply to any further attempts at contact.

Ultimately I respect their decision, but that decision is completely incongruous with the way the interviews went and with what I was told at the end of my second interview. After coming to their campus on two different occasions and spending time there in interviews, I think I at least deserve an honest explanation of why, after the interviews seemingly went so well, they suddenly decided to look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Write code to identify duplicate words in a list of words.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Adobe (Pune (India)) in June 2016.

Interview

Online test that included technical and aptitude round.
    Post clearing you will be called for 4 round of technical interview and one round HR interview. Post clearing all these round you will be selected.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moldova (Estonia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (Moldova (Estonia)).

Interview

Hiring process is a bit slow, which is probably usual thing for big companies.
    Most challenging part of technical interview was related to low-level db transaction processing, java threading and concurrent issues for clustered environments.
    As I understood, algorithmic question quite necessary to answer, they just wanted to see how will I try several approaches/evaluate them.
    Overall, Id say guys were quite friendly and supportive .

Interview Questions

• How Id check if single-linked list would end with a cycle.   Answer Question