Advisory Board Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 19, 2017

2.9

56 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two Months of Unrequited Love

Somehow my well-intended application to ABC turned into a 2-month-long tragic saga of unrequited love.

This begins with a phone interview that went well enough for an invite to DC, in which I had to pay my own expenses.

The day before the in-office visit I was told that one of the positions had been filled. My in-office visit went very well, and I met several people on the finance team. I felt that they liked me it was a great fit. I was also asked to stay for an additional, unscheduled interview (I read on gd that this was a 'good sign').

A few days later, I got an email saying that based off of the "strength" of my interviews they would also like to consider me for another position, which came w another phone interview.

She's Just Not That Into You: then the email chain began. At least 2x a week I had to call & email the recruiter to find out the status of my app—she only did the bare minimum in contacting me. She consistently took days to respond and calls always went to voicemail. I wondered if she was even in the office--the general recruiting line also didn't pick up. At one point I had to contact another recruiter to just get her to email back. Every email only consisted of generic "we're still processing your app."

Several weeks pass. ABC remained my top choice. The recruiter had now given me the impression that they were sorting out the details & were likely to hire me. I rejected another offer bc of this impression. After I told her about my othe offer, she said something to the effect of “we should have an update for you in the next few days”—explicitly encouraging me about my application to ABC.

In every email I got from her she said that they were "expediting" my application and she would "hope to get back to me" by the end of the week. Every week was the same story. She probably told me 25 times that they were "expediting my request" or "expediting the process" or "expediting my application."

I then get an email over a month later inviting me to interview again at the DC office with 2 other individuals on the finance team. I thought this was odd, but I was happy to do it bc I was eager about and hoped this would seal the deal. Again, this was at my own expense, but seemed worth it bc these interviews went very well.

After, I was told by the recruiter that I "should" be hearing back in one week. At this point, given the time, money, effort, and positive feedback from the recruiter I felt very confident about it.

Every indication I got from my recruiter about the lengthy process was that it wasn't me, it was them, and the "recruiting process was longer" than it used to be, etc. All while this was happening, I was reading in the news about United Health's talks to acquire ABC, so I assumed (no word on this from anyone I spoke to at ABC) that this was part of the reason why they were stalling my hiring (especially for an internal finance position).

The Betrayal: After this second in-office interview, two weeks pass and I receive an AUTOMATED EMAIL saying that the analyst position was filled. This whole time, they had been interviewing someone else and stringing me along.

Seeking Closure: I emailed my recruiter asking for some feedback: after all, we had been in contact ALL summer and I'm on the hunt for my first job--this would have great value. She, in true form, didn't answer my question. She sent me a generic form-letter response saying that "there are so many applicants" and "they will keep my resume on file." I understand that I'm not the perfect candidate for every job, but the impression that ABC gave me was that they needed to sort out things themselves before they could hire me--something rather believable in the context of the acquisition rumors I read on credible business news outlets.

The Advisory Board really needs to rethink the treatment of their applicants. I would be embarrassed if I were overseeing a recruiting office that lead to this saga. Obviously, there are larger forces in play when hiring an applicant, and not all of this was my recruiter's fault. I was extremely patient and understanding while they were actually mistreating and misleading me. My recruiter was distant and ALWAYS unreachable. It's very weird for a company that prides itself on company culture.

While I was once gung-ho for ABC, the stringing-along, ending with an automatic rejection email, will prevent me from ever considering ABC again. They clearly do not understand how to conduct an efficient and pleasant recruiting process—not to mention how difficult and trying it is to find your first job.

This recruiting process has left me with a horrible impression of ABC. I suggest to all who consider applying here—which also applies to dating—to take what your recruiters say with a grain of salt--do not put up with them the way I did: you might end up getting your heart broken.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview, the interview went great and she said she liked my resume but I failed to hear back from her even after a follow-up email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for an Analyst position in Research, and had all of the qualifications in the job description and then some. I was even already employed at the Advisory Board Company, so I would have been a transfer and not a new hire (which is always preferred). However, despite going through the interview process and, "blowing them out of the water," they refused to hire me based on the fact that I had not gone the traditional route. They told me that they were scared that if they hired me without having been a research associate first, they would open the flood gates and would have to look through too many resumes the next time they posted an opening for an Analyst position.

While a Master's degree isn't in the requirements, it is absolutely a requirement if you are an external hire, or an internal hire who hasn't been a Research Associate prior to applying for an Analyst position.

Other than that the interview process also included a case study (which no one in Career Management -ABC's version of HR- told me about). Fortunately, when I mentioned that I got an interview for the position to one of my friends, she told me that those type of interviews usually have case studies.

So take heed if you're applying for an Analyst position:

-If you're an external applicant, it's best to have a Master's degree

-If you're an internal applicant, you should probably save you're time and apply for a Research Associate position first

-If you get an interview, prepare for a case study style interview process (you can Google sample case study interviews and use those to prepare - that's what I did and I was over prepared)

Interview Questions

• How would you use BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) to enhance your research for a University?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Baltimore, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting and got selected for a first round interview. There is one interview on campus followed by another round in their DC office which consists of a few case studies. The first interview is entirely behavioral and basically a screen of your resume, etc.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the Advisory Board company? Tell us what you think we do and why you want to be apart...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Hanover, NH) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview about Qualifications and Experience. A representative from the company inquired about my experience and asked me to explain how it qualified me for the position. Mostly I was expected to speak for about 30 minutes while the interviewer listened.

Interview Questions

• What are the hard and soft skills you've gathered from your college course load?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

The original position I wanted and interviewed for ended up being "discontinued" so the recruiter suggested another role to interview for as well as one that I picked myself. Absolute waste of time. It's been a few weeks and have heard nothing from the recruiter about my status. The positions themselves didn't sound anything like they were described as on the application. Felt pretty judged on random things I said and they twisted my words out of proportion. Also felt as if I was being judged for having an average GPA - this isn't a top 4 company so what gives you the right to be so nitpicky? Stay far away from this place - the culture will attract you but the work just sounds like a meat factory. Take your degree and go elsewhere!!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Why work here? Why should I choose you over someone else? Heavy emphasis on recent work experiences   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2016.

Interview

It was a positive experience. It was just a phone screen, the interviewer was very friendly. She wanted to get to know me and my background and why I was interested in research. She went over next-steps, asked about salary requirements, and gave more information about the research team and company culture. It was about 20 minutes overall. They were prompt (4-5 days) with communication afterwards that I wasn't the right fit for the position.

Analyst Interview

Interview

phone interview, three in person case interviews. behavioral interviews included. Cases were not related to healthcare. They seemed to really value critical thinking. They definitely did not look for just a healthcare specific background.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you received criticism that was challenging to receive   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was none

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Questions were easy but did not get an invitation to move to the next round. Asked for feedback but got no response. Would NOT recommend despite easy questions. Seems like ABC looks for high-end technical skills...

Interview Questions

• Why The Advisory Board?
      Why Healthcare?
      Why did you choose your majors?
      Why did you choose your schools?
      How have your writing skills developed?
      Are you interested in the Quantitative or Qualitative side of the business?
      Describe a research project you have done in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I had my resume submitted internally, in a few days they asked me for a phone interview, fairly short and standard. I did another phone interview and case study before final rounds at the headquarters. I had read info on Glassdoor and there is a real difference if they're invested in you; they were incredibly prompt about moving me forward in the process. Most of the discussion was on previous research, interest in healthcare, and why I made the academic choices I made.

The final interviews were a day of interviewing, three eventually (yes they make you wait after the first ones and only schedule the last one if it goes well), all including a case at the end. Case interviewing is very stressful and I hadn't done that before; ask a lot of questions and think around the topic.