Advisory Board Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Advisory Board Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Advisory Board

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted an application and was invited for a first-round interview a few days later. The first interview was fairly basic and the questions were straightforward and expected. Two weeks later I got invited for a second-round interview at Washington D.C. However, this did not get scheduled for another month and a half. They took care of the travel needs, which was appreciated.
The second- round interviews were harder than expected. They consisted of two back to back interviews with higher ups in the department, with more focus on behavioral questions than case interviews. The case interview was surprisingly the most straightforward.
The writing portion was fair.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Process rather long (unnecessarily so) but the employees were all very decent, smart and good people. standard format as described by others: phone HR interview, phone "technical interview", 4 hr. in person interview day consisting of 3 1:1 sessions and a panel interview. The HR interview is something very standard and anything a college grad can successfully navigate. the 'tech' interview is just used as a barometer to judge your SQL experience and make sure you wont be wasting in-person interviewer's time. The day-o-interviews is exhausting, and more or less the same interview 4 times. Real nice office though, dress code same as sophomore English Lit.

Interview Questions

• Here's the deal: You have to know SQL. By all accounts, and according to people within the company, they are no longer hiring people who do not have previous SQL experience. If there is one thing that I can point to that probably cost me the offer, it is that I have not used SQL in a while, and it showed. Everyone with whom I interviewed asked SQL questions. They will give you a set of EMR (Electronic Medical Record) data (2 or 3 tables) and ask questions about how you the tables might be manipulated to provide information. So you not only need to know how to select certain data types and columns to provide insight in theory, but you also must know how to construct the correct select statement. Expect questions on inner/outer joins, unions, subqueries, aggreagtor functions including how to use sum and/or count with group by. If you don't have solid command of SQL and a good bit of fresh, current use, you are probably wasting your time. Yes, SQL is a rather small language in the DML context, and something that can be picked up rather easily, but probably not quickly and completely enough to impress in the interview. Bottom line: don't expect to fake it till' you make it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX).

Interview

It was very long process and the response was very late. General questions about SQL joins and situation type questions. It took about a month to get the result.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2012.

Interview

I was called after submitting my resume online for a phone interview and then went in for a one on one. Was offered the next week.

Interview Questions

• What was the most positive thing my manager did at my previous job,   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was over the phone and the accepted my first offer which was $6000 more that I was offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I received a call back the next day after I applied online for a Business Analyst position. This first call was just a brief 10 minute HR screen. The person obviously read scripted questions and was not paying attention, only providing the occasional "uh hu" or "that sounds good". This was my first cue that this would not lead anywhere and was previously mentioned in another review. At the end of the call the person mentioned that they would forward my information to the hiring manager and contact me should they be interested in bringing me in to DC. Well I did receive an email confirming I made it to the next round BUT the recruiter also mentioned this would be another phone interview. This call was only about 20 minutes and seemingly the same questions asked in the HR screen by some person who was not the person I was told would be conducting the interview-second warning. A few days later I got another email stating I would be interviewing further for two different types of Business Analyst roles(global technologies and a local role in DC). I was asked to confirm my availability and was told the hiring manager was traveling overseas so yet another phone interview needed to be scheduled-third and final warning this was not going to happen. We confirmed the interview and then two weeks later(the week of the final interview) I was emailed saying the company no longer wished to pursue me. I thought the whole process was unorganized and completely turned me off to this company. They email you the name of one person who would be conducting the interview and every time it was some other person. I believe the recruiters may just be looking to fill quotas in screens versus actually finding qualified people. I would not recommend interviewing with this company. Try Accenture or Deloitte where the process is straight forward and seamless. I am in the process of interviewing with larger firms with no issues whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• All questions were generic and based on my resume(even on the technical screen)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

The Hiring process comprised of two phone interviews followed by an onsite interview. The overall process was pretty smooth and they are good people. However, I didnt end up getting an offer.
    They were very friendly ad basically look for a company fit more than anything else.
    TIP: Just be yourself!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume online via their career portal. I received a call a few days later from HR for a screening. Later that day I received and email to set up another call with HR. An in-house interview date was scheduled for the following week. I was scheduled to meet with 4 people: 1 hr, 1 hr, 30 min, 30 min. I did a basic case study with one interviewer and a basic analysis of healthcare related data with a second interviewer. All in all, very basic questions - mostly behavioral. Come prepared with lots of scenarios.

Two days later I received a call from a Director within HR to tell me that I did not get the BA position. They offered it to a current employee making a lateral jump for the BA position. Understandable. However, the team was impressed with me and asked the Director to find another position. He scheduled a 2nd in-house interview. Same format as before. Met with 4 more people over 2 hours.

I waited two weeks before contacting HR to inquire on the positions. The Director informed me that the position was filled. I asked for feedback on my interviews. We scheduled a call the following day to give him time to review all of the notes. 7/8 on positive comments and recommendations for a job offer. One interviewer asked me where I saw myself in 5 years. I replied that eventually I would lie to obtain my MBA/MHA. Apparently that was a red flag with her. The HR Director informed me that she was unsure for my commitment to staying with the company in the long term. She was reserved because Business Analyst positions are difficult to fill.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Interview

Contacted me to set up a phone interview. Went through a HR phone interview, phone technical screening, 4 one our interviews on one day, and 2 one our interview following that. Everything seemed to go really well until I got the "unfortunately..." phone call.

Interview Questions

• They asked you brain teasers, as well as questions about how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Kind of a long process. 2 phone interviews then an onsite interview. Phone interviews weren't too bad. The onsite interview is very long. 4 one hour long interviews with 3 one on one interviews and one panel interview.

Interview Questions

• SQL questions. I have very little experience and didn't know SQL as well as they probably would like. If you have X table and Y table how would you join them? Is this an inner or outer join?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Had 3 interview-- 1) Initial phone interview with HR 2) 1:1 phone interview with a BA 3) Group /Panel interview
    The interview process was pretty straight forward. HR round was basic . The second round had few questions on SQL - group by clause. The third round had everything - resume , sql (group by , joints etc), problem solving. They also gave me a business scenario and saw how I approached it. On the whole the interview went pretty well but i didn't get an offer.