Advisory Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 30, 2017

2.8

757 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

First round: 30 min phone call with recruiter. Fair questions about interests in healthcare and details on resume, educational background. Provided clear information about next steps in the interview process and when I could expect to hear back. Interviewer left time for my questions and answered fully.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

First interview was technical interview. Group interview. Made you work out a problem in front of them, told you to think out loud. Using any programming language was acceptable. Had couple of problems. Was applying for front end. Didn't get past the first technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a array return substrings.   1 Answer

Membership Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

I applied online. Got a email a few days later asking to set up a phone interview. The interview was a simple resume walk through. Got a email a few days later saying they were going another direction.

Associate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

First hr, then technical screen then onsite. The first few rounds went normal, nothing unusual. My negative experience started from the second round on site. First, two people came in, the first one briefly shake hand and then changed to a somehow mocking cold face, just imagine a face that tells you that you would fail. Then when the other interviewer asked me some questions, the first one kept working on her computer and scarcely deigns a glance at me, needless to say, I already sense a sign that I was going to fail. Yes, and later when she asked some questions, clearly she didn't figure out what to ask, and when she finally ask something, she asked me a concept that rarely used in my past work and showed a happy face when I said I didn't use it, also wanted me to complete the table schema in her thoughts, yes, no paper to write, no whiteboard to use, she just said it, sometimes even in very lower voice like talking to herself and you have to figure out what they want, the other interviewer also ask questions based on what she proposed. Which I can't give them exactly what she wanted, again, even bigger smile... at that point, I already lost patience and stopped thinking hard, also just hope it ends soon, I'm sure they feel the same way. While I do admit I need improvements on some knowledge, the attitude showed by her is certainly not professional, it's very interesting to see how she changed faces when looking at me and the other interviewer, one is mocking, the other is flattering. I doubt if the other interviewer noticed that. There was supposed to be another interviewer after them, but later the first interviewer notified me he would not come because of busy work, I figured must be second round caused that, but it doesn't matter anyway because the total interview process is different then what they told me in the email. In the end, I'm not very sad for not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• Figure out what interviewers wanted to do in their minds in SQL   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the school's career website and they gave me feedback and arranged for my first interview only after 5 business day. We I replied my available time for first phone interview they responded quickly. I do appreciate their high efficiency with all the application and job seekers.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online and had a half hour phone interview with a HR recruiter. They told me they'd get back to me within the next week regarding whether I'd been selected to move forward in the interview process. I never heard back from them, even after e-mailing the HR recruiter who set up my interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a past research project?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything you would do differently (regarding a past research project)?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two Months of Unrequited Love

Somehow my well-intended application to ABC turned into a 2-month-long tragic saga of unrequited love.

This begins with a phone interview that went well enough for an invite to DC, in which I had to pay my own expenses.

The day before the in-office visit I was told that one of the positions had been filled. My in-office visit went very well, and I met several people on the finance team. I felt that they liked me it was a great fit. I was also asked to stay for an additional, unscheduled interview (I read on gd that this was a 'good sign').

A few days later, I got an email saying that based off of the "strength" of my interviews they would also like to consider me for another position, which came w another phone interview.

She's Just Not That Into You: then the email chain began. At least 2x a week I had to call & email the recruiter to find out the status of my app—she only did the bare minimum in contacting me. She consistently took days to respond and calls always went to voicemail. I wondered if she was even in the office--the general recruiting line also didn't pick up. At one point I had to contact another recruiter to just get her to email back. Every email only consisted of generic "we're still processing your app."

Several weeks pass. ABC remained my top choice. The recruiter had now given me the impression that they were sorting out the details & were likely to hire me. I rejected another offer bc of this impression. After I told her about my othe offer, she said something to the effect of “we should have an update for you in the next few days”—explicitly encouraging me about my application to ABC.

In every email I got from her she said that they were "expediting" my application and she would "hope to get back to me" by the end of the week. Every week was the same story. She probably told me 25 times that they were "expediting my request" or "expediting the process" or "expediting my application."

I then get an email over a month later inviting me to interview again at the DC office with 2 other individuals on the finance team. I thought this was odd, but I was happy to do it bc I was eager about and hoped this would seal the deal. Again, this was at my own expense, but seemed worth it bc these interviews went very well.

After, I was told by the recruiter that I "should" be hearing back in one week. At this point, given the time, money, effort, and positive feedback from the recruiter I felt very confident about it.

Every indication I got from my recruiter about the lengthy process was that it wasn't me, it was them, and the "recruiting process was longer" than it used to be, etc. All while this was happening, I was reading in the news about United Health's talks to acquire ABC, so I assumed (no word on this from anyone I spoke to at ABC) that this was part of the reason why they were stalling my hiring (especially for an internal finance position).

The Betrayal: After this second in-office interview, two weeks pass and I receive an AUTOMATED EMAIL saying that the analyst position was filled. This whole time, they had been interviewing someone else and stringing me along.

Seeking Closure: I emailed my recruiter asking for some feedback: after all, we had been in contact ALL summer and I'm on the hunt for my first job--this would have great value. She, in true form, didn't answer my question. She sent me a generic form-letter response saying that "there are so many applicants" and "they will keep my resume on file." I understand that I'm not the perfect candidate for every job, but the impression that ABC gave me was that they needed to sort out things themselves before they could hire me--something rather believable in the context of the acquisition rumors I read on credible business news outlets.

The Advisory Board really needs to rethink the treatment of their applicants. I would be embarrassed if I were overseeing a recruiting office that lead to this saga. Obviously, there are larger forces in play when hiring an applicant, and not all of this was my recruiter's fault. I was extremely patient and understanding while they were actually mistreating and misleading me. My recruiter was distant and ALWAYS unreachable. It's very weird for a company that prides itself on company culture.

While I was once gung-ho for ABC, the stringing-along, ending with an automatic rejection email, will prevent me from ever considering ABC again. They clearly do not understand how to conduct an efficient and pleasant recruiting process—not to mention how difficult and trying it is to find your first job.

This recruiting process has left me with a horrible impression of ABC. I suggest to all who consider applying here—which also applies to dating—to take what your recruiters say with a grain of salt--do not put up with them the way I did: you might end up getting your heart broken.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2017.

Interview

I got the interview from career fair and was informed of a on-campus interview next day. The recruiters are super friendly. They let me talked about my resume and then gave me a technical question. The total process took 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Minimum number of cakes can be cooked based on recipe and what you have.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2017.

Interview

I was first contacted by HR and asked general questions (ie. why are you interested in the Advisory Board, etc.). The second round interview consists of a timed case study writing sample and case study style interview. The interview was conducted by someone in the department I would actually work in.

Analyst, Research & Insights Interview

Interview

The Advisory Board Company process includes a lot of behavioral questions at the beginning, and then case interview questions towards the end. Would recommend a lot of practice with case interview questions. Also make sure to familiarize yourself with the company's mission