Advisory Board Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Advisory Board Research Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Advisory Board

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for the position in early December of 2013. I heard back from someone at the Advisory Board in late December, and they set up a phone interview with a recruiter. They asked me very detailed questions about my research experience. Then I had a case interview by phone with a research manager, which was a little difficult for me since I had never done one. After that I completed a 1.5 hour writing test from home, which was fairly easy. The company then flew me down to the DC office for 2 case interviews, both 2:1 with research managers. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, and once I the interviews began I wasn't nervous at all. All of the case questions were research-oriented, not consulting-oriented, which made them much more manageable. Overall I had a great experience.

Interview Questions

• How to best consolidate student services at a university   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation available, since most RAs have the same experience level

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

I heard about the company through some friends and decided to apply online. They got back to me fairly quickly by e-mail to request a phone interview. We had it about a week later. It was with a Recruiter (like, an HR Rep). Asked fairly standard questions and was very conversational and casual. I was actually surprised by how much the Recruiter knew about the specific role within the company - usually, HR people are focused more on the process and their part to play, but this Recruiter answered questions like someone who had previously had the position! It lasted about a half hour.

If you pass the 1:1 phone screening, they will contact you again to set up a set of interviews at their home office in Washington, DC. Since I just had the 1:1, I'm not sure if I will hear back yet, but I got a positive feeling.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the company and why are you interested in this role?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about some research experiences that you have had.   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose [college here] for your education?   Answer Question
    • What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Standard phone interview. The woman was polite and asked me to take her through my resume. I received an email a week later saying I did not receive the position.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiters very shortly after submitting my resume, and was invited in for an in person interview with two recruiters (note- this would have been by phone had I not lived in the area). First round interview was very relaxed and consisted of mostly behavioral questions and about my interest in the company. A day later I was invited back for round two interviews, which took two weeks to set up. This interview was an all day event consisting of three seperate one on one interviews, all of which included a couple of case questions, as well as a one hour writing test. The cases weren't what I expected in that I had prepared for a "classic" case interview (where they give you data and you actually work to pin point a root cause). These cases didn't offer data, and it seemed that they were instead looking to see how I would brainstrom in order to obtain this data. Other than that, everyone was absolutely lovely to work with--all seemed very intelligent, professional, and friendly. A positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• A client has discovered the last/only living dinosaur on Earth. It cannot reproduce, nor can it be cloned. How would you advise her to make the most profit from this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotion. In the initial worksheet I requested a salary, and they met it. I've found them to be competitive for the area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

The phone interview was fairly easy. The recruiter asked simple questions, but did really want to hear about results from past research. It was only a 30 minute phone conversation and I did get an email about not moving forward, which was nice to know where I stood. In retrospect, it is a little unclear what they are looking for from the interview since usually it is easy to pass a phone interview if you cover your background in a competent manner. Overall, everyone I emailed or spoke to was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about the results for your research study.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in July 2011.

Interview

Easy interview, lots of questions regarding research experience in college. Not sure what they were looking for though.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied online for the Research Associate position in Higher Education when I saw the posting on my college career listserv and became interested in the company. I received a very prompt email asking for a phone interview for a different position, Research Associate in the Expert Center. The phone interview was very basic, just behavioral questions with a very friendly recruiter, with some questions like "what was your favorite class" and "why did you choose your college/major" and asking about research projects. Within the week, I heard back about a second-round interview.

They flew me out to DC where I had a full day of interviews with both behavioral, fit, and case-style questions (specific to research, not the management consulting kind of quantitative questions), as well as a simple writing test.

Everyone was incredibly bright, friendly, welcoming, and almost universally young and attractive. The lobby was busy with people walking through and having conversations; seems like a very open and fun environment to work in. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• Walk through challenges you may encounter during the course of a research project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes - basic questions about resume, research experience, how I organize/multi-task. Told me I would hear back within a week about whether or not I made it to the next round of interviews. Two weeks later I received an e-mail I had been invited to interview in DC. Have not yet had final round of interviews, but was told they will consist of interviews with 2-3 staff members and a writing test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a couple of weeks later for a phone interview. They asked standard questions and lasted about 30 minutes. Questions like, "Tell me about your research background and experience."

Interview Questions

• Why did you pick your undergraduate college / graduate college?
      What do you like about research?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few weeks later for a phone interview. The interview mainly consisted of questions related to my resume and my past research experience. While I thought that it went very well, I heard back a few days later that I did not advance to the second round.

Interview Questions

• How did you utilize your research advisors when conducting research projects?   Answer Question