Advisory Board Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.8

487 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Commercial/Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied with a resume to attend their Winter Hires Day - the day-long event concluded in a first-round, 30 minute interview. The following Monday I was asked for a second round interview via Skype with 4 different employees. All were great interviews, very nice people and the Winter Hires Day was well-executed

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

The process was overall pretty long since I was brought in to interview with multiple teams for the same "coordinator" position. Initially, you are interviewed by phone. Pretty soon after they will follow up to confirm a schedule for your in person interviews. Expect your schedule to be blocked for 3+ hours. The interview questions were very standard and with basic prep are very easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one time you've let something slip through the cracks and how did you fix it   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the school's career website and they gave me feedback and arranged for my first interview only after 5 business day. We I replied my available time for first phone interview they responded quickly. I do appreciate their high efficiency with all the application and job seekers.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

First round: phone call with a recruiter with typical behavioral questions, though did ask why I chose my majors and the university I attend. The second round was on site in DC where you have 3 behavioral and 3 cases. Each round has 1 behavioral and 1 case. The interviewers were super helpful when you got stuck, but it's super important to ask questions and to have an understanding of case interviewing. Having an understanding of healthcare would be helpful in being creative but not necessary, as though 2 of my cases were healthcare focused, they were looking more at strategy than knowledge. Overall, the people were awesome and really easy to talk to. It was like a conversation throughout.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in healthcare? What experiences have you had that equip you for this job? Resume run through   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two Months of Unrequited Love

Somehow my well-intended application to ABC turned into a 2-month-long tragic saga of unrequited love.

This begins with a phone interview that went well enough for an invite to DC, in which I had to pay my own expenses.

The day before the in-office visit I was told that one of the positions had been filled. My in-office visit went very well, and I met several people on the finance team. I felt that they liked me it was a great fit. I was also asked to stay for an additional, unscheduled interview (I read on gd that this was a 'good sign').

A few days later, I got an email saying that based off of the "strength" of my interviews they would also like to consider me for another position, which came w another phone interview.

She's Just Not That Into You: then the email chain began. At least 2x a week I had to call & email the recruiter to find out the status of my app—she only did the bare minimum in contacting me. She consistently took days to respond and calls always went to voicemail. I wondered if she was even in the office--the general recruiting line also didn't pick up. At one point I had to contact another recruiter to just get her to email back. Every email only consisted of generic "we're still processing your app."

Several weeks pass. ABC remained my top choice. The recruiter had now given me the impression that they were sorting out the details & were likely to hire me. I rejected another offer bc of this impression. After I told her about my othe offer, she said something to the effect of “we should have an update for you in the next few days”—explicitly encouraging me about my application to ABC.

In every email I got from her she said that they were "expediting" my application and she would "hope to get back to me" by the end of the week. Every week was the same story. She probably told me 25 times that they were "expediting my request" or "expediting the process" or "expediting my application."

I then get an email over a month later inviting me to interview again at the DC office with 2 other individuals on the finance team. I thought this was odd, but I was happy to do it bc I was eager about and hoped this would seal the deal. Again, this was at my own expense, but seemed worth it bc these interviews went very well.

After, I was told by the recruiter that I "should" be hearing back in one week. At this point, given the time, money, effort, and positive feedback from the recruiter I felt very confident about it.

Every indication I got from my recruiter about the lengthy process was that it wasn't me, it was them, and the "recruiting process was longer" than it used to be, etc. All while this was happening, I was reading in the news about United Health's talks to acquire ABC, so I assumed (no word on this from anyone I spoke to at ABC) that this was part of the reason why they were stalling my hiring (especially for an internal finance position).

The Betrayal: After this second in-office interview, two weeks pass and I receive an AUTOMATED EMAIL saying that the analyst position was filled. This whole time, they had been interviewing someone else and stringing me along.

Seeking Closure: I emailed my recruiter asking for some feedback: after all, we had been in contact ALL summer and I'm on the hunt for my first job--this would have great value. She, in true form, didn't answer my question. She sent me a generic form-letter response saying that "there are so many applicants" and "they will keep my resume on file." I understand that I'm not the perfect candidate for every job, but the impression that ABC gave me was that they needed to sort out things themselves before they could hire me--something rather believable in the context of the acquisition rumors I read on credible business news outlets.

The Advisory Board really needs to rethink the treatment of their applicants. I would be embarrassed if I were overseeing a recruiting office that lead to this saga. Obviously, there are larger forces in play when hiring an applicant, and not all of this was my recruiter's fault. I was extremely patient and understanding while they were actually mistreating and misleading me. My recruiter was distant and ALWAYS unreachable. It's very weird for a company that prides itself on company culture.

While I was once gung-ho for ABC, the stringing-along, ending with an automatic rejection email, will prevent me from ever considering ABC again. They clearly do not understand how to conduct an efficient and pleasant recruiting process—not to mention how difficult and trying it is to find your first job.

This recruiting process has left me with a horrible impression of ABC. I suggest to all who consider applying here—which also applies to dating—to take what your recruiters say with a grain of salt--do not put up with them the way I did: you might end up getting your heart broken.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview and follow-up in-person interviews about a week later. Process was quite fast but communication could have been a little better. Phone interview is with HR personnel while in-person interviews are with members of the teams one is applying to be on.

Test Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

HR phone interview, technical phone interview, technical face to face interview and HR in person interview. For technical face to face interview multiple panel members would be there.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Intervied on campus with an awesome recruiter who I absolutely loved. Very basic interview questions. Invited to an onsite super day (but was far shorter than others I had been to). When we first arrived, had lunch with a current MA, then had a brief presentation on the company and service (which they care about highly). I recommend asking questions to show you're engaged. Next you will either go into your 1-1 with a manager and a 2-1 with more seasoned employees. Next you have a tour and see the awesome terrace! Overall a great day. Decided not to take the job because of the salary, although they offered me the top of the range listed here.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a brief phone screening that last a few minutes. Pretty basic screening. Followed up by a face to face interview that last a few hours. What separates you from the other candidates?

Junior Analyst, Sales Strategy and Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up a time for a phone interview. I was then called and spoke to a hiring manager for about 30 minutes. It was a brief call in order to get a better understanding of the candidate based on the resume submitted.