Aetna Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Aetna Underwriter Interview Questions

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Aetna (Hartford, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a great experience. Submitted application online, and heard back from them in 3 weeks. Scheduled an interview with 3 underwriting managers. Interview lasted about an hour. The second half was more a conversation. Received offer two days after interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
  • What do you know about Aetna and underwriting?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you explained a complex topic to someone that did not understand it?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how you handled it?   Answer Question
  • Basic math problems... simple percentages   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Aetna

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Aetna (Hartford, CT) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted from an HR rep through email. She sent me about 10 questions that I had to answer, asking my reasons fro applying and interest in the position, about my background experience what motivates me and then behavior questions.

I was then contacted a week later for an interview. The 1st interview was with 4 managers in the dental underwriting department. 1 in person and 3 on the phone. They asked your normal HR situational/behavioral questions followed by basic underwriting questions and then math questions. Make sure you don't use your phone or ask for paper/pen to do this math problems. They want to challenge you and know what your thinking process is like. It lasted about an hour.

I was then called 2 weeks later for a 2nd interview. I met with the same group of managers. This time it was 3 in person and 2 on the phone. It was the same types of questions just more of it. If you practice ahead of time and have some answers already outlined then you will be fine. Make sure you know what's going on with the healthcare reform and with Aetna in general. That way you can sound intelligent when you have to ask questions at the end of the interview. I made sure to send a thank you letter to all of the managers afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Have you been put in an ethical situation?
      Tell me about a time when you had to analyze information and make a recommendation. What kind of thought process did you go through? What was your reasoning behind your decision?
      Give me an example of any specific situation in which you had to present material and information to people who knew nothing about the topic you were presenting.
      What set you a part from everyone else and why should we hire you?
      What qualities do you bring to the table?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Aetna (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a pretty relaxed interview process. It comprised of two sections: One with a three panel senior executives and the second with the entire underwriting team. All the interviewers were very friendly and professional. The theme of the interview is demonstrating a basic understanding knowledge about healthcare, insurance and finance.

Interview Questions

• Tell Us About your knowldge of the dynamics Healthcare Insurance   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Aetna in September 2014.

Interview

First contacted for a phone interview:
    Asked basic interview questions, situational, about last experience, and a couple math based questions. Some questions were: Describe a time when you were faced with an ethical decision at work. Math based questions were basically learning if you could work with fractions and percentages.

Got called back for an in person interview:
    Asked same types of questions and asked about leadership skills. Also asked questions related to excel and more basic math questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any superhero, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Aetna (Hartford, CT) in March 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was very quick. There was a brief phone interview, then a location interview was scheduled. I interviewed on a Monday with the Underwriting Head in person, with my now manager on the phone. I was offered the job two days later on a Wednesday. The interview was scheduled for 30 minutes, and went over by 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The interview was a few years ago so I don't remember many of the questions. I was interviewing for a job with a new product to the company. The questions were primarily based on any experience with developing new products and background experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate salary or benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Aetna (Walnut Creek, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Aetna came to my university to hold on-campus interviews. The initial interview was directed by one regional manager and another woman. The interview was fairly casual and not overly stressful.

I received a call-back after a week and was invited to their headquarters in Walnut Creek, CA. The interview process consisted of two one-on-one interviews with various managers followed by a conversation with current underwriters. The first two interviews were again fairly casual and evolved into conversations (rather than a grilling session). I was originally scheduled to be interviewed by 2 additional regional managers as well as the first manager I interviewed with, but they were unable to attend due to scheduling conflicts.

After the first two interviews, I was given the opportunity to speak with two current underwriters and ask them questions regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where a conflict arose in a group or team setting and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • What skills do you have and what do you hope to develop through this position?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Aetna in December 2009.

Interview

I learned about Aetna at a college fair. Once I was called in for an interview I was interview by two people at the same time. First I was asked behavioral questions and then I was asked a set of questions involving numbers. For example, I was asked what is the 34% of 450? There were about 5 of these questions. Next, I was asked something along the lines of if group A has 300 people and group B has 500 people in where group A currently has 40% of its people insured and group B has 30% of its people insured, who do you recommend we insure and why?

I think the people were very nice. When I walked into the office everyone looked very busy so yes I would say work is taken very seriously here. Seeems like a friendly environment even though it appears there is minimal levels of interactions with colleagues.

Recommendations: Just know your percentages and you should be fine. I guess the "tricky" part for me were the behavioral questions. My answers weren't too strong but at least I was very honest about how I had approached previous situations.

Best of luck in your interview process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most complex topic you've had to explain to someone who was not at all familiar with the topic? How did you explain it? How did you measure their level of understanding?   Answer Question
    • What do you wish to improve upon? (this can be personal or professional).   Answer Question