Air New Zealand Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Air New Zealand

2.9

Sort:

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand.

Interview

Phone interview with the head office, then a formal interview with the hiring department and an HR rep. After the formal interview there was an informal meeting with the department to discuss experience and fit.

Interview Questions

• What achievement are you most proud of?   1 Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview was with a recruiter for Air New Zealand from the hub in Auckland, a little tricky to catch with time zones. After that there was an interview in Los Angeles with the Air New Zealand team. It was great to see other people so passionate about a brand that is dear to me. Very knowledgeable and passionate about their product. Very nice and very talented individuals.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Behavioral questions, The interview process is a multi-stage process for hiring new employees. The interview process typically includes the following steps: writing a job description, posting a job, scheduling interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)) in June 2016.

Interview

There was behavioural interview round, technical interview and interview with the team. Behavioural was with the product owner, technical interview was with a senior solution architect and interview with the team is where the whole team asks you questions about things.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to write a Java program and bring it along to my interview and ask questions around this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)

Interview

Standing around for around 30 mins talking to other candidates. A brief presentation about the company and then only about 10 mins in the room with 8 others and a couple of questions. They then read a list of who has to leave while the ones who stay get a mini 1:1 interview. I didn't really enjoy the event at all. I wasn't successful after the recruitment event.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, heard back a month later that I was being invited to a recruitment event - awesome! I went along, was a little nervous, but everyone's in the same boat and everyone was super friendly.

The entire staff and recruitment team were all really nice as well, so everyone felt at ease quite quickly. After around maybe 45 minutes of mix and mingling, you are taken into another room where they explain about the role, show a video and explain the process.

You're then split into groups for a group interview. Our group was only asked one question "What do you currently do, why do you want to be cabin crew and what you enjoy doing". This was great, everyone was nice and open.

You then go back into the main room while the staff cut down the group interviews.

They then call out names, and those people are asked to leave.

For those of us who got to stay, we were invited to a one on one short interview. Maybe 5 - 6 questions:
    *Why do you want to do this role?
    *Tell us a weakness or developing area?
    *Tell us about a hard time in your life
    *Tell us about a time you had to resolve conflict at work?

From there you left and it was all over.

The next morning at like 3am I got an email saying I was invited back to a final interview - was super excited.

This one is meant to be an hour long, but felt a lot shorter, not as near as many questions as what I thought there would be, so I sort of had some stories I was saving which I didn't get to share.

These were purely behavioural questions: Similar to the ones above and a few extra like:
    *Tell us a time you went above and beyond for a customer
    *Tell us about a stressful situation and how you handled it
    etc...

Got a call the next day saying I had passed this and made it through to the Psychometric test, which is where I was really starting to get excited, because everything felt like it was happening and that it was going to work out.

The test was hard, but wasn't impossible. I felt I did okay in it (not amazing but not bad either).. I then waited a week and got no response. Emailed the HR team who called me the next day to say I failed the test unfortunately.

I was absolutely gutted! I really felt like the test cheated me in the sense that it didn't reveal my passion for the role or how quickly I could learn the skills etc... it truly felt (and still feels) like your dreams were crushed... and it was all because of an online assessment which didn't accurately reflect what I could bring to the role and how passionate I was/am about Air New Zealand and sharing that magic with customers the way it was shared with me years ago.

I was then told I had to stand down for 12 months before reapplying for an Air NZ role. I did ask if there was absolutely anything I could do, but didn't hear back (but I totally don't blame the HR team, I mean they have a job to do, and probably get 100s of people like me daily etc...).

My advice; be wary of the online test - everyone says it's easy and you can't fail it... but apparently you can, and it's absolutely heart breaking when you're so passionate about something and get so close, only to find a test is the make or break between living your dream and going back to a dull desk job.

I really want to reapply again next year, but it's one of those things now where if I get through it all again only to fail the online assessment, I'm not sure.

It's a real shame because I am so passionate about New Zealand and creating magic moments for other people... but good luck! I hope you smash the test and see you in the air one day :)

GOOD LUCK!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had an awkward experience.
      Tell us a hard moment in your life and how you overcame it.
      Tell us a time you had a stressful situation.
      Tell us a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Tell us about your work experience.
      Tell us why you want this role.   Answer Question

Air New Zealand Response

Apr 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for sharing your experience here. Our recruitment process keeps on evolving as we're conscious of candidate's time and experience. We appreciate the feedback and will most definitely take... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)).

Interview

Once everyone was sorted with paperwork, we went into a 'mock-up' where we entered a cabin and got to see what the planes look like inside. The airline's cabin crew, uniform department and human resources talked to us about the company. Then we were separated into two groups to do a group activity. We had to solve an issue as a group but I am sure the employees were looking at how the candidates worked together and the solution was irrelevant. After this we were called one by one by the interviewers. There were about 20 interviews going on at once so we didn't wait long. My interviewer was a lady from human resources who was doing all the writing, and also a current cabin crew asking me the questions. They were very friendly and chatty which helped me relax and be myself, as I was super nervous...like everyone else! Unfortunately two days later I got a call around 4 am (I live in GMT+8 timezone) saying that I was unsuccessful. It was nice how they gave you personal feedback for the interview so that you know what to improve on. I was told that I wasn't myself and my answers didn't seem genuine and at ANZ they need someone who are themselves and genuine. They further explained that my answers seemed rehearsed and that the answer to "why ANZ?" just wasn't enough. I was and am extremely disappointed when I was told this and lost for words. None of my answers were rehearsed so I guess I need to work on my delivery to 'make it' sound more sincere. Everyone who knows me know that I am a terrible liar and that I also cannot tolerate fake people so the fact that they kind of made it seem like I was these things was not the wake-up call I wanted and a stab to my heart. My tips for future candidates? I know this sounds super cliche but be yourself. The staff also tell you to be yourself right from the very beginning. My other tips are to greet everyone you meet, especially the other candidates. Get to know them before it all starts, shake hands, where did they come from? What are they doing now? Everyone has their own story - like I wasn't the only one who flew from overseas. Don't look at them as your competition. I remember one cabin crew said "if we like you, then we'll hire you. There is no limit of intake". Also ask as many questions as you can. Questions aimed towards the airline will show that you have researched about the airline and that you are interested. Now I have to wait 12 months to re-apply for the position. Although ANZ is the only airline I wanted to work for, I can't keep spending over $1k to travel there so I hope they will do a recruitment in Australia one day. Overall I had a good experience, went in there confidently and walked out of there confidently.

Interview Questions

• When you had a conflict or disagreement with a colleague, what happened and how did
      you handle it?
      Tell me about your career to date.
      Tell me about a time when communication became an issue.
      When you went above a customer's expectations.
      Why Air New Zealand? (Follow-up question: There are other airlines in New Zealand but why us?)
      Are you willing to relocate?
      Who inspires you?
      Tell us about a time when you were faced in a situation where you were undertrained in
      something and what did you do?
      How did you handle a stressed out colleague?
      The captain has told you before take-off that there is going to be a lot of turbulence. There is a passenger who has a fear of turbulence - how will you handle this passenger?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)) in August 2018.

Interview

Applied online, completed an online assessment and personality test. Was then asked to do a digital interview about 3 days later. From there I was invited to an assessment day, which consisted of a 20min presentation from recruitment staff and operational staff, a group activity where we had to assign priority to passengers whose flight had been cancelled then a 45min interview with a recruiter and a current member of cabin crew. 4 days after I received multiple emails requiring me to do a first aid course, swim test, police check etc. About a week an a half later if completed all courses and documentation and sent it in. I am currently waiting to here back and will update this when I do.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you were under pressure and how did you cope with it   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to change your communication style for a customer   Answer Question

Cabin Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Air New Zealand (Auckland, Auckland (New Zealand)) in November 2015.

Interview

1. Invited to recruitment group event
    2. Split into smaller group interviews
    3. Split into yes/no rooms and sent for short one on one interview
    4. Call back weeks later for long one on on interview

Interview Questions

• Questions such as "explain a time you encountered a problem and had to resolve it on your own" and "explain a time when you went above and beyond for a customer".   Answer Question

Air New Zealand Response

Apr 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear that the process took longer than expected. We're working hard to ensure we give all our candidates the best possible experience as we know... More

Cabin Crew Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Air New Zealand.

Interview

Met with all other applicants for about 10-15 mins, then taken to another room with cabin crew and given an introduction to the company etc. We also had time to ask any questions we had.

After that we split into 2 groups of 5-6. We then were given a scenario of a flight and had to choose who we would allow onto a flight and who would be moved to the next flight due to delays.

After that everyone was interviewed by 1-2 people for about 45 mins.

Two days later, I got a call saying I'd passed the interview round and was moved onto vetting. I completed vetting in a week and then endured a lengthy wait to hear back from the talent team. I was lucky and I waited about a month before I was given training dates.

My advice would be just to be yourself and sociable. Air NZ is a great company and they're always willing to help you. They are super busy atm which is probably why they take a long time to get back to you, but just be resilient and live life as usual until you hear back from them. Also, be very prepared to learn A LOT of information once you're in training. It's a very stressful time but you do learn a lot and you meet wonderful, inspiring people!

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest mistake?   1 Answer
    • A difficult time you've had with a fellow employee and how you overcame it.   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had to learn something very quickly and how did you do it?   Answer Question