Airbnb Customer Experience Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Customer Experience Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2017

46 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

My friend who works there told me that there was an opening. So I applied and got an email a day or so later to set up a phone interview appointment. She told me to expect t eh phone interview to take 30-40 minutes.
The phone interviewer called right on time. We went over a few standard interview questions and she went on about what will happen next.
I got an email the next day saying I was invited to the hiring meetup. It gave a ton of information about parking, what to expect, what to wear and any other questions an applicant may have ie pay, perks, etc.
I had my appointment for the hiring meetup yesterday. At the meetup we started with our names and a fun fact. Then we were split up in groups of 5 and went through a few real life scenarios of calls they have had. We each got two questions each. After that we did a group activity regarding survival and the top 5 items you would keep and why. After that was done we got back into the big group and asked any questions we had and learned about the next steps. Lastly, we had our one on one interviews with a member of management and left.

Interview Questions

• What is one accomplishment you are most proud of in your career?   Answer Question
  • What would your last manager say is your strongest character trait?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Airbnb

Anonymous Employee in Portland, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

group interview, took 3 hours. role play questions asked by a customer and how you would answer them. Typical questions that would be asked in customer service roles, such as payment problems and disputes regarding home damage etc.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were impressed by a company's customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A few days later after submitting my resume and cv, I was invited for the phone interview with the recruiter. The interview was nice and friendly. I wasn't offered the job though.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions: self-introduction, previous experience, why customer experience specialist at airbnb   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Interview

Here is an overview of how the hiring process works – There are five steps:
    1) Submit a resume through the Airbnb job site
    2) Complete the next level of questions through their interviewing partner, HireArt - It requires a webcam and microphone, and takes about 45 minutes. The sooner you do your HireArt interview the better, as they will be reviewing these on a rolling basis.

3) If they like what they see from your full application, they will invite you to one of their group Hiring Meetups in San Francisco
    4) If you inspire them at the Meetup, they will schedule you for a follow up interview either over Skype or in person.
    5) If you impress them through Step 4 then they will want to extend an offer to have you join the Airbnb.
    The Meetup involved five parts:
    1) First there were welcome and introductions. Each person said their name and talked a couple minutes about their most memorial Airbnb experience. People who had never used Airbnb spoke about other people they knew who had used the service. There were about 28 people at the Meet-up, including about 8 Airbnb employees. The Meet-up was held at the Ian Ross Gallery in SOMA district.
    2) We then split up into three groups of about 6-8 people and did role-playing exercises. The employees gave you scenarios of real customer service phone calls. For example, someone calls Airbnb complaining that their Airbnb rental is infested with cockroaches and you’re supposed to respond to the caller. There is no right answer to the role-playing. You don’t have to quote Airbnb policy. They just want you to act the way a customer service representative should act: be confident, polite and understanding.
    3) We then did a problem solving exercise. Each group was given a box of plastic toy parts for building models, sort of like Legos. Then, one-by-one, each member of your group had to walk into a backroom and memorize an abstract model made out of these toy parts. You have 30 seconds to memorize what the model looks like, and then you have about one minute to communicate what the model looks like to your group so that you’re group can try to replicate the model. You are not allowed to touch the model when you are describing it to your group. This exercise is used to see how you interact with your team and how well you communicate information. All the groups did pretty well in this exercise.
    4) Employees talked more about the job and we had some Q&A time.
    5) Then we had one-one interviews with employees. We were supposed to have two one-on-one interviews, but we only had time to do one one-on-one interview.
    Everyone filled out an availability form for a Skype interview, which would be held the following week. However, only people who did well in the Meet-up were going to be contacted for Skype interviews.

Interview Questions

• *Have you ever developed a meaningful or lasting friendship with someone who you meant briefly in an informal setting, like riding on the bus etc.
      *What has been your best and worst customer service experience?
      *If you could teach or give a TED talk, what subject would you talk about?
      *What was the biggest risk you’re ever taken?
      *What was the favorite place you’re ever traveled to?
      *What feature would you improve on the Airbnb website?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

The experience I had was exactly like everyone else described. Received the Hire Art application right after submitting my cover letter and resume. Got invited to the hiring meet up about a week after they said they would review my application (they were on a holiday break when I applied). The meet up was fun and relaxed. It was apparent that they are looking mostly to see if you are upbeat, friendly, and albe to stay calm and positive in difficult situations. A ton of customer service experience is less important than having the kind of demeanor they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Pretending to be the Airbnb rep calling a customer who is violating a policy.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online by employee referral. The process took 2+ months.
    I was really excited, even if the feedback received from current employees and previous unsuccessful candidates made me a little bit doubtful about the unconventional Company Culture.

The first step was an online test called “Hireart” which consisted of four written questions and three videos, that I had to record. This took a few hours, though it says it should only take 40 min.
    After 2 months I received the invitation for the next step, this was an informal meeting, they called it " Hiring meetup" in which you meet other applicants. Location: Shelbourne Park,it is a greyhound racing stadium (they pretend to be cool). Even if the hiring meeting was indoor, we were literally freezing. It's was uncomfortable.
    There were about 25 or so other candidates and about 8 current Airbnb employees.
    After a short introduction of ourselves and our travelling experience (some of them swam with the sharks, climbed the Everest, explored the Amazonia.... seriously?) , then we were divided in four groups and had to start the role play process.
    Next step: language test: written test in your mother tongue, three questions, very easy.
    The last step was a 121 interview with team leaders and members of the team . In my case the interviewer was a CS Agent ( 8 months in the company... like a New starter) .15 minutes in which we had to talk again about ourselves, travelling experience, my biggest failure, so nothing at all about customer service or other professional skills. It was really funny…or ridiculous.
    The day after I received the standard feedback “Unfortunately, after carefully considering your background, qualifications, and our conversations, the hiring team doesn’t feel that you are a fit for this role. They all had great things to say about you, but feel there are other candidates who had more of the experience necessary for this particular position."

They don't call the work environment with usual words: they said " we are a Community" instead team or company (maybe they forget that Airbnb is a Miltinational Company, they make every day a lot of money and actually they don't work for a charity Company) , they talk about free snack and food instead "Benefits" , they were excited about their Happy-Hour after work.... Seriously, it was worrying. It's like a cult not a job.

Average age of candidates: 27y , most of them without work experience, but full of energy and zest. Perfect to work on.

Personally: In more than 5+ years experience in Customer Service industry, this is definitely the worse experience ever had, a disgraceful waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something extraordinary you did in the past month?
      What don't you like about airbnb?
      When was the last time you helped someone?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Interview

The hiring process has 4 steps. First is submit a cover letter and resume, second is a video interview and series of questions related to Airbnb policy, the third is a group interview, and the fourth is a Skype interview.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb in December 2014.

Interview

I filled out an online application then was immediately sent a link to the HireArt portion. The written and video questions were quite easy, but it also took me much longer than the time suggested. I was invited to the hiring meet up which was actually a lot of fun. Everyone mingled, then we introduced ourselves to the group with a fun fact and our favorite Airbnb experience. We then split up into groups of six and role played. The Airbnb employee would "call" you with a hand phone and you had to pretend to be a Customer Experience Specialist dealing with real problems from previous guests. We also did a survival game in our groups...our group was on a ship that sank and we had to pick five items from a list of 10-15 things that we could take with us. After that, we filled out availability forms (make sure you know your Skype username) and had short individual interviews. The hiring meet up lasted 3 hours and was very casual.

Interview Questions

• If you had to give a TED Talk, what would you give it on?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2014.

Interview

I was disappointed and turned off by my interview. I wouldn't even call it an interview. I was asked to record a video of myself on my computer that was to reviewed by a third party. I felt like I was never even given real consideration for the position despite having relevant, dynamic experience. It was all automated. Even my decline email.
    I was also told by a customer experience specialist I had met through a previous job that they judge you by how many Facebook friends you have. (???)

Interview Questions

• Don't remember the exact wording but it was a special reasoning question about how to cut a cake.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

Inquired with a friend who currently works for Airbnb. She passed my resume along and several days later I received an email from recruiting. It had a link to an outside screening agency called HireArt. Mix of video and written questions. Takes longer than advertised. Overall I thought I did quite well given that I have previous customer support/service experience.

I then waited to hear back on what the next step would be. In the meantime I emailed the recruiter to keep them apprised of my continued interest and if I could provide any additional information. Really just a, "keep in contact," quick note. I waited another couple of weeks with no word, but had been told, and read other reviews, that it could take awhile. Sent another quick note reiterating my interest. Finally received a, "After carefully reviewing your application, we find you profile isn't a match..." So, not even past the screening and invited to a meetup. Kind of disappointing to not even get that far. Received a $75 coupon as a parting gift.

Interview Questions

• Name something you did for someone that you didn't have to do.   Answer Question