Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions

3.5

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

An HR found me on social career net and I took a take-home challenge after that. The interview was supposed to be after this process, but unfortunately, I did not make through the first round.

The HR was very nice and friendly. She helped me a lot on the time arrangement and material preparing stuff.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Airbnb

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Each addtional step is contingent on passing the step above:
    1. HR Screening to gauge level of interest and fit
    2. Take Home Data Challenge
    3. Interview with potential intern manager
    4. Interview with experienced employee to evaluate fit with culture/org

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Airbnb?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who currently works at Airbnb. The recruiter reached out to me two weeks later and asked if I would be interested in a different position. I said yes, and had a brief introductory conversation with the hr. The HR then asked for my availability for a take home challenge that needs 24 hours to complete. When I finally got the take home challenge, the instruction actually said the completion time should be within 3-6 hours. Not sure why there was a such a big time discrepancy. I completed the take home and was asked to come on site for a half day interview. I was sent the onsite interview with a different job title.. I emailed the recruiter back and clarified the position I was interviewing for. I was also told another position opened up and I would be considered for two positions.

During onsite I had breakfast with one of the team members, and then was given another data challenge to complete in 3 hours, followed by a presentation. There were about 5,6 people at the presentation. The afternoon after my onsite I was told I did not pass to the final round.

For the amount of time I spent on the interview process with airbnb, and despite being onsite (they have a beautiful campus and great food), I received little information about what they do in the analytics team. I (still) had no idea who the hiring manager was (maybe there isn't one?).. 95% of the communications were with the recruiter. People at the presentation walked in and sat down at the conference room but didn't introduce themselves (a little awkward...) in the beginning I asked everyone that came into the presentation their name, role, etc, but people that came in later I had no idea what their role was in Airbnb... During and after the presentation I answered a lot of questions, but had no time left to ask the team any questions. I understand things are moving at a fast pace at airbnb, it just felt like a whirlwind.. But the data challenges were pretty fun, and hr responded quickly to all the questions. 0

Interview Questions

• All questions are directly related to the presentation.
      What does the gap represent in your graph?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I interviewed for a few top tech companies eventually choosing Linkedin, and Airbnb was a bit different from all the others. The main difference is that they *really* care a lot about you using their product.

The interview has been described very well by their head of data science on quora. It is exactly like he says. Check it out if you got an interview there.
    Firstly, a relatively simple A/B test takehome challenge, then a phone call with the hiring manager, then 1 day on-site working on a data science challenge and finally another day onsite to check cultural fit.

The interview is not too hard, I felt it was easier than facebook or linkedin. In order to pass the interview you need to:

1) Be very fluent in R or Python. Both challenges (takehome and onsite) aren't super hard, but they don't give you much time. If you are not super familiar with R or Python, you won't have time to finish them.

2) Get the collection of data science take-home challenges book and practice on it. The A/B test challenges there will help you for the takehome and the product-related ones will help you for the onsite.

3) Use the product extensively before. To solve the onsite challenge, you must know the product well and how it works. Otherwise, it will be impossible to even understand well what the data represents.

Interview Questions

• One A/B test takehome challenge, one onsite data challenge and one day for cultural fit.   3 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

First step is to complete a data challenge about A/B test. Then, a phone interview with hiring manager. The phone interview is supposed to be 45 minutes. But, interviewer hung up just after 15 minutes. Worst interview experience that I ever have. This interviewer definitely needs more training to be professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online in January and got contacted in March. The whole process took 3-4 weeks. I think the arrangement of the process is not very well organized, but it is understandable since they are moving so fast with their growth. The recruiter called me once at 7pm and replying email at night is quite common.
    The take home data challenge take me around 8 hours to finish for both the analysis and the presentation while they said it should be around 3-4 hours to finish. I think this is a sign why I failed the onsite data challenge. The onsite data challenge is only 4 hours...I don't even have time... I think this is also what they are testing you about. Since their pace is so fast, they need you to get things done or at least report some useful insights given a short time.
    Got rejected since I don't have much experience and didn't do the onsite data challenge very well.

Interview Questions

• For the onsite data challenge, a question was asked regarding my practice of removing the missing values. What if it causes bias? What will you do then?   12 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

In summary, there were three steps in the interview process:
    1) Take home challenge. I was given a problem set to analyze for interesting/actionable leads. The deliverable was in the form of a presentation deck. The recommended time spent was 3-6 hours.
    2) Then there was a 3 hours on site. I was given another data set and asked to perform more analysis to be added to the deck, and then presented the results to the group.
    3) Final on site interview. There were 5 in total, two technical and three character interviews.

Although exhausting, I really enjoyed the interview experience because the people were genuinely nice and the HR was responsive.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a metric that help reduce bias in the data set   1 Answer
    • Brain storm potential causes of an anomaly in web traffic data   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online via their website. Did not ultimately get invited to go further in the interview process. Felt like a bummer as I did meet all of their qualifications required online. Bummer, seems like a cool place to work :(

Interview Questions

• Had to fill out a questionnaire about why I was interested in airbnb.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial talk with recruiter to discuss me, the role I was applying for, and the company. Talked about what I was looking for, how I wanted to grow, and my experiences with Airbnb as a product. Recruiter was very kind and clear, and told me exactly what I was to expect in each phase of the process.

Next phase was a take-home data challenge- pretty straightforward: you're given a dataset and in 3 hours, you answer some questions about it, present results graphically, etc and email it back. This was returned to the team I was applying for, and I heard in less than a week that I was invited to onsite. Another phone call with the recruiter followed, who gave me details about onsite.

Onsite interview has been described extensively on Quora- arrive at 930/10, meet with a team member to go over assignment, start working. Lunch around 1230, followed by presentation at 430. It's an open-ended and therefore tough assignment, but super fun. You just have to get to work. You work alongside the rest of Airbnb- if you think it's too loud/ annoying/ etc, it's probably not a good fit for you. At presentation, people were interested in what I had done and asked some challenging questions. But they seemed driven by curiosity than anything else.

After this, was invited for a final set of onsite interviews. Recruiter followed up with some things to read, videos about company and their values. Met with recruiter morning of interview and she again walked me through the whole process, detailing what I could expect and who I would be meeting with. 2 interviews were cultural/ core values interviews and I am sure they have been documented elsewhere. In short, will you be a good fit here? How do you approach challenges? What moves you? Interviews with a software engineer, head of product, and team manager followed. All were hands-on, and entailed demonstrating product knowledge and business.

Offer followed onsite, recruiters were very hands-on and helpful through offer and negotiation. Various members of team I was to join emailed and offered to answer questions, including managers.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Was sent a data set to analyze. Sent the results back to be crunched by them.
    Then had an on-site interview and had to interact with the team there as well.