Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2018

3.3

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, another with one of the DS managers, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on.

Getting tired of this general tech trend of making a candidate go through these long "homeworks" where the candidate is incredibly engaged, but there being very little effort from the company. Spent many hours on the homework, but was not accepted to come on for the final loop and received zero feedback on the work provided. Takes five to ten minutes to jump on the phone to give some feedback and suggestions. On top of that I had a DS from a larger tech company look at my work, gave a few small nits, but said it was solid work overall which just leads me to more questions on what Airbnb is even looking for.

Respect your candidates and try to put in at least half as much effort as they do when going through the process.

Interview Questions

• Homework was an end-to-end product question. Pretty typical supply/demand balancing for a PaaS company with a lot of data columns to do various segmentations on. Needed to provide a presentation for a non-technical audience and then a technical appendix for the data crowd to build on top of your work.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Airbnb

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

They first ask you to work on a home assignment. It took me about 8 hours to finish it. They reviewed and said I did very well on it and invited onsite. Onsite interviews are extremely easy and don't really test your knowledge of data science or machine learning. Everyone who watched the whole Andrew Ng course is already overqualified for the interview. After the onsite interview, I got a feedback that I don't have a product vision (there were no questions about it at all during the interview) and low modeling skills (so, why did they say I did well on home assignment if they think so?).

My impression is that they use really outdated technologies like tfidf and logistic regression. Don't recommend to go there if you want to work on state of the art ML.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2018.

Interview

Applied data scientist, Beijing online and was contacted by HR. Later worked on a 48-hour data assignment. Got a system-generated rejection later 3 weeks later.
    HR was quite unprofessional. They were too be busy to reply emails. Never provided any feedback even they promised to give feedback in 1 week. The whole application process feels like a mystery... I regretted spending time on the application.

Interview Questions

• Data analysis on one case study. Final deliverable expected is a ppt.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

They give me a take-home challenge to finish within 48 hours. It's an experimental design and asks me to analyze the data. They are looking for suggestions for evaluating the future of this change.

Interview Questions

• How can you report the statistical results to a non-statistician staff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

An HR found me on social career net and I took a take-home challenge after that. The interview was supposed to be after this process, but unfortunately, I did not make through the first round.

The HR was very nice and friendly. She helped me a lot on the time arrangement and material preparing stuff.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Each addtional step is contingent on passing the step above:
    1. HR Screening to gauge level of interest and fit
    2. Take Home Data Challenge
    3. Interview with potential intern manager
    4. Interview with experienced employee to evaluate fit with culture/org

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Airbnb?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who currently works at Airbnb. The recruiter reached out to me two weeks later and asked if I would be interested in a different position. I said yes, and had a brief introductory conversation with the hr. The HR then asked for my availability for a take home challenge that needs 24 hours to complete. When I finally got the take home challenge, the instruction actually said the completion time should be within 3-6 hours. Not sure why there was a such a big time discrepancy. I completed the take home and was asked to come on site for a half day interview. I was sent the onsite interview with a different job title.. I emailed the recruiter back and clarified the position I was interviewing for. I was also told another position opened up and I would be considered for two positions.

During onsite I had breakfast with one of the team members, and then was given another data challenge to complete in 3 hours, followed by a presentation. There were about 5,6 people at the presentation. The afternoon after my onsite I was told I did not pass to the final round.

For the amount of time I spent on the interview process with airbnb, and despite being onsite (they have a beautiful campus and great food), I received little information about what they do in the analytics team. I (still) had no idea who the hiring manager was (maybe there isn't one?).. 95% of the communications were with the recruiter. People at the presentation walked in and sat down at the conference room but didn't introduce themselves (a little awkward...) in the beginning I asked everyone that came into the presentation their name, role, etc, but people that came in later I had no idea what their role was in Airbnb... During and after the presentation I answered a lot of questions, but had no time left to ask the team any questions. I understand things are moving at a fast pace at airbnb, it just felt like a whirlwind.. But the data challenges were pretty fun, and hr responded quickly to all the questions. 0

Interview Questions

• All questions are directly related to the presentation.
      What does the gap represent in your graph?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I interviewed for a few top tech companies eventually choosing Linkedin, and Airbnb was a bit different from all the others. The main difference is that they *really* care a lot about you using their product.

The interview has been described very well by their head of data science on quora. It is exactly like he says. Check it out if you got an interview there.
    Firstly, a relatively simple A/B test takehome challenge, then a phone call with the hiring manager, then 1 day on-site working on a data science challenge and finally another day onsite to check cultural fit.

The interview is not too hard, I felt it was easier than facebook or linkedin. In order to pass the interview you need to:

1) Be very fluent in R or Python. Both challenges (takehome and onsite) aren't super hard, but they don't give you much time. If you are not super familiar with R or Python, you won't have time to finish them.

2) Get the collection of data science take-home challenges book and practice on it. The A/B test challenges there will help you for the takehome and the product-related ones will help you for the onsite.

3) Use the product extensively before. To solve the onsite challenge, you must know the product well and how it works. Otherwise, it will be impossible to even understand well what the data represents.

Interview Questions

• One A/B test takehome challenge, one onsite data challenge and one day for cultural fit.   3 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

First step is to complete a data challenge about A/B test. Then, a phone interview with hiring manager. The phone interview is supposed to be 45 minutes. But, interviewer hung up just after 15 minutes. Worst interview experience that I ever have. This interviewer definitely needs more training to be professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online in January and got contacted in March. The whole process took 3-4 weeks. I think the arrangement of the process is not very well organized, but it is understandable since they are moving so fast with their growth. The recruiter called me once at 7pm and replying email at night is quite common.
    The take home data challenge take me around 8 hours to finish for both the analysis and the presentation while they said it should be around 3-4 hours to finish. I think this is a sign why I failed the onsite data challenge. The onsite data challenge is only 4 hours...I don't even have time... I think this is also what they are testing you about. Since their pace is so fast, they need you to get things done or at least report some useful insights given a short time.
    Got rejected since I don't have much experience and didn't do the onsite data challenge very well.

Interview Questions

• For the onsite data challenge, a question was asked regarding my practice of removing the missing values. What if it causes bias? What will you do then?   12 Answers