Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

An HR found me on social career net and I took a take-home challenge after that. The interview was supposed to be after this process, but unfortunately, I did not make through the first round.

The HR was very nice and friendly. She helped me a lot on the time arrangement and material preparing stuff.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Airbnb

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

They give me a take-home challenge to finish within 48 hours. It's an experimental design and asks me to analyze the data. They are looking for suggestions for evaluating the future of this change.

Interview Questions

• How can you report the statistical results to a non-statistician staff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for the analytics DS position.

- Initial call with HR
    - Takehome test
    - On-site presentation
    - Multiple on-site interviews

The process is very vigorous and quite energy draining; I was super glad when it was over as it took a lot of my time and effort. Proceed if you're willing to give this your full 100%, otherwise you'll probably won't make it.

The take home assignment can take a full 2-3 days depending on how committed you are and your willingness to explore the entire dataset. You'll be using a good chunk of your data slicing and dicing skills + your analytical skills. The point of this assignment is to see if your thought process aligns with what Airbnb is looking for.

The on-site presentation consists of your take home and a project you'd like to share from your previous work. The audience consisted of a bunch of data science managers.

Beyond the presentation, I had 5 interviews (2 culture fit, 2 with data science managers, 1 technical, and a casual lunch). The two interviews with data science managers were similar to the "technical" interview I had; metrics creation, hypothesis testing, etc. Culture fit interviews are self explanatory.

Interview Questions

• - Metrics creation
      - Metrics diagnostics
      - A/B testing
      - Tons of behavioral questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, another with one of the DS managers, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on.

Getting tired of this general tech trend of making a candidate go through these long "homeworks" where the candidate is incredibly engaged, but there being very little effort from the company. Spent many hours on the homework, but was not accepted to come on for the final loop and received zero feedback on the work provided. Takes five to ten minutes to jump on the phone to give some feedback and suggestions. On top of that I had a DS from a larger tech company look at my work, gave a few small nits, but said it was solid work overall which just leads me to more questions on what Airbnb is even looking for.

Respect your candidates and try to put in at least half as much effort as they do when going through the process.

Interview Questions

• Homework was an end-to-end product question. Pretty typical supply/demand balancing for a PaaS company with a lot of data columns to do various segmentations on. Needed to provide a presentation for a non-technical audience and then a technical appendix for the data crowd to build on top of your work.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2018.

Interview

Applied data scientist, Beijing online and was contacted by HR. Later worked on a 48-hour data assignment. Got a system-generated rejection later 3 weeks later.
    HR was quite unprofessional. They were too be busy to reply emails. Never provided any feedback even they promised to give feedback in 1 week. The whole application process feels like a mystery... I regretted spending time on the application.

Interview Questions

• Data analysis on one case study. Final deliverable expected is a ppt.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I had experience similar to some folks commenting here. After a phone screen with their recruiter, I got a take home for me to do in 2 days. It wasn't an easy one. Sorting out the data is ok, but it takes some time to knit your story out and put your insights on the slides in an organized way. Honestly, I liked their data set and put countless efforts on this exercise. However, once I turned in my work I was told game over and I got zero feedbacks from the recruiter. Not a word. I was really upset because I spent two days working on their stuff and they won't spend 10 mins on me.

I know now with the buzz of this company a lot of people want to join them. But for anyone who is considering going through their interviews, I sincerely suggest you think twice because they won't respect you as you deserve. You might spend tons of time on them and end up with mysterious doubt for yourself.

I'm a seasoned data scientist and I used to think take-homes are useful ways to assess the capability of an excellent data scientist, but now with this unpleasant experience I just think it can only distinguish if you have cheated with their internal employees and got the solutions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

They first ask you to work on a home assignment. It took me about 8 hours to finish it. They reviewed and said I did very well on it and invited onsite. Onsite interviews are extremely easy and don't really test your knowledge of data science or machine learning. Everyone who watched the whole Andrew Ng course is already overqualified for the interview. After the onsite interview, I got a feedback that I don't have a product vision (there were no questions about it at all during the interview) and low modeling skills (so, why did they say I did well on home assignment if they think so?).

My impression is that they use really outdated technologies like tfidf and logistic regression. Don't recommend to go there if you want to work on state of the art ML.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Applied, received phone call 2 weeks later, got a take-home exercise, burned a few days just to dedicate to the exercise, then got an automatic rejection
    Recruiter was inexperienced and unprofessional where she couldn't properly explain the expectations
    For the amount of effort, you might as well talk to a friend to get a referral link to Google/Facebook/Microsoft and use the time to study for those guys' interview
    The unclear expectations probably came from the middle management and this directly reflects on the middle management's capabilities - blurry goals and vision
    Recruiting is supposed to be a 2-way street, and the current recruiting process is a reflection of sentiment that's furthest away from "belong anywhere"
    You're better off with a more prestigious company than to be wasting time here

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

Call with recruiter to discuss open roles. Then a take home data challenge. Finally an onsite where I had 6 or so 1:1 interviews and gave a short presentation on past work and the take home data challenge.

Interview Questions

• An important metric goes down, how would you dig into the causes?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

- 1 phone screen
    - 1 Assignment

The phone screen is pretty typical, however, after I received the data science assignment I knew this would take a lot longer than 4-6 hours. So I asked the recruiter about the rest of the process, which she refused to outline. That's when I found articles about the process and was like why would anyone subject themselves to this treatment. Please don't! I decided that the fact they didn't want to outline was a red flag, so I never worked on the assignment