Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who currently works at Airbnb. The recruiter reached out to me two weeks later and asked if I would be interested in a different position. I said yes, and had a brief introductory conversation with the hr. The HR then asked for my availability for a take home challenge that needs 24 hours to complete. When I finally got the take home challenge, the instruction actually said the completion time should be within 3-6 hours. Not sure why there was a such a big time discrepancy. I completed the take home and was asked to come on site for a half day interview. I was sent the onsite interview with a different job title.. I emailed the recruiter back and clarified the position I was interviewing for. I was also told another position opened up and I would be considered for two positions.

During onsite I had breakfast with one of the team members, and then was given another data challenge to complete in 3 hours, followed by a presentation. There were about 5,6 people at the presentation. The afternoon after my onsite I was told I did not pass to the final round.

For the amount of time I spent on the interview process with airbnb, and despite being onsite (they have a beautiful campus and great food), I received little information about what they do in the analytics team. I (still) had no idea who the hiring manager was (maybe there isn't one?).. 95% of the communications were with the recruiter. People at the presentation walked in and sat down at the conference room but didn't introduce themselves (a little awkward...) in the beginning I asked everyone that came into the presentation their name, role, etc, but people that came in later I had no idea what their role was in Airbnb... During and after the presentation I answered a lot of questions, but had no time left to ask the team any questions. I understand things are moving at a fast pace at airbnb, it just felt like a whirlwind.. But the data challenges were pretty fun, and hr responded quickly to all the questions. 0

Interview Questions

• All questions are directly related to the presentation.
    What does the gap represent in your graph?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Airbnb

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Each addtional step is contingent on passing the step above:
    1. HR Screening to gauge level of interest and fit
    2. Take Home Data Challenge
    3. Interview with potential intern manager
    4. Interview with experienced employee to evaluate fit with culture/org

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Airbnb?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

An HR found me on social career net and I took a take-home challenge after that. The interview was supposed to be after this process, but unfortunately, I did not make through the first round.

The HR was very nice and friendly. She helped me a lot on the time arrangement and material preparing stuff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

They give me a take-home challenge to finish within 48 hours. It's an experimental design and asks me to analyze the data. They are looking for suggestions for evaluating the future of this change.

Interview Questions

• How can you report the statistical results to a non-statistician staff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

They first ask you to work on a home assignment. It took me about 8 hours to finish it. They reviewed and said I did very well on it and invited onsite. Onsite interviews are extremely easy and don't really test your knowledge of data science or machine learning. Everyone who watched the whole Andrew Ng course is already overqualified for the interview. After the onsite interview, I got a feedback that I don't have a product vision (there were no questions about it at all during the interview) and low modeling skills (so, why did they say I did well on home assignment if they think so?).

My impression is that they use really outdated technologies like tfidf and logistic regression. Don't recommend to go there if you want to work on state of the art ML.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for the analytics DS position.

- Initial call with HR
    - Takehome test
    - On-site presentation
    - Multiple on-site interviews

The process is very vigorous and quite energy draining; I was super glad when it was over as it took a lot of my time and effort. Proceed if you're willing to give this your full 100%, otherwise you'll probably won't make it.

The take home assignment can take a full 2-3 days depending on how committed you are and your willingness to explore the entire dataset. You'll be using a good chunk of your data slicing and dicing skills + your analytical skills. The point of this assignment is to see if your thought process aligns with what Airbnb is looking for.

The on-site presentation consists of your take home and a project you'd like to share from your previous work. The audience consisted of a bunch of data science managers.

Beyond the presentation, I had 5 interviews (2 culture fit, 2 with data science managers, 1 technical, and a casual lunch). The two interviews with data science managers were similar to the "technical" interview I had; metrics creation, hypothesis testing, etc. Culture fit interviews are self explanatory.

Interview Questions

• - Metrics creation
      - Metrics diagnostics
      - A/B testing
      - Tons of behavioral questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, another with one of the DS managers, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on.

Getting tired of this general tech trend of making a candidate go through these long "homeworks" where the candidate is incredibly engaged, but there being very little effort from the company. Spent many hours on the homework, but was not accepted to come on for the final loop and received zero feedback on the work provided. Takes five to ten minutes to jump on the phone to give some feedback and suggestions. On top of that I had a DS from a larger tech company look at my work, gave a few small nits, but said it was solid work overall which just leads me to more questions on what Airbnb is even looking for.

Respect your candidates and try to put in at least half as much effort as they do when going through the process.

Interview Questions

• Homework was an end-to-end product question. Pretty typical supply/demand balancing for a PaaS company with a lot of data columns to do various segmentations on. Needed to provide a presentation for a non-technical audience and then a technical appendix for the data crowd to build on top of your work.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2018.

Interview

Applied data scientist, Beijing online and was contacted by HR. Later worked on a 48-hour data assignment. Got a system-generated rejection later 3 weeks later.
    HR was quite unprofessional. They were too be busy to reply emails. Never provided any feedback even they promised to give feedback in 1 week. The whole application process feels like a mystery... I regretted spending time on the application.

Interview Questions

• Data analysis on one case study. Final deliverable expected is a ppt.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I had experience similar to some folks commenting here. After a phone screen with their recruiter, I got a take home for me to do in 2 days. It wasn't an easy one. Sorting out the data is ok, but it takes some time to knit your story out and put your insights on the slides in an organized way. Honestly, I liked their data set and put countless efforts on this exercise. However, once I turned in my work I was told game over and I got zero feedbacks from the recruiter. Not a word. I was really upset because I spent two days working on their stuff and they won't spend 10 mins on me.

I know now with the buzz of this company a lot of people want to join them. But for anyone who is considering going through their interviews, I sincerely suggest you think twice because they won't respect you as you deserve. You might spend tons of time on them and end up with mysterious doubt for yourself.

I'm a seasoned data scientist and I used to think take-homes are useful ways to assess the capability of an excellent data scientist, but now with this unpleasant experience I just think it can only distinguish if you have cheated with their internal employees and got the solutions.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial talk with recruiter to discuss me, the role I was applying for, and the company. Talked about what I was looking for, how I wanted to grow, and my experiences with Airbnb as a product. Recruiter was very kind and clear, and told me exactly what I was to expect in each phase of the process.

Next phase was a take-home data challenge- pretty straightforward: you're given a dataset and in 3 hours, you answer some questions about it, present results graphically, etc and email it back. This was returned to the team I was applying for, and I heard in less than a week that I was invited to onsite. Another phone call with the recruiter followed, who gave me details about onsite.

Onsite interview has been described extensively on Quora- arrive at 930/10, meet with a team member to go over assignment, start working. Lunch around 1230, followed by presentation at 430. It's an open-ended and therefore tough assignment, but super fun. You just have to get to work. You work alongside the rest of Airbnb- if you think it's too loud/ annoying/ etc, it's probably not a good fit for you. At presentation, people were interested in what I had done and asked some challenging questions. But they seemed driven by curiosity than anything else.

After this, was invited for a final set of onsite interviews. Recruiter followed up with some things to read, videos about company and their values. Met with recruiter morning of interview and she again walked me through the whole process, detailing what I could expect and who I would be meeting with. 2 interviews were cultural/ core values interviews and I am sure they have been documented elsewhere. In short, will you be a good fit here? How do you approach challenges? What moves you? Interviews with a software engineer, head of product, and team manager followed. All were hands-on, and entailed demonstrating product knowledge and business.

Offer followed onsite, recruiters were very hands-on and helpful through offer and negotiation. Various members of team I was to join emailed and offered to answer questions, including managers.