Airbnb Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 47 of over 1.0K interviews

Recruiter15%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Airbnb

Application

I interviewed at Airbnb

Interview

Talked with a so-called hiring manager who was extremely unprofessional . Didn’t have my resume ready, talked to me from a extremely noisy place to a point I can barely hear him. Didn’t know anything about statistics but pretended he knew some. Overall terrible terrible experience.

Interview Questions
  • Describe your background to this so called hiring manager
    Answer Question

Airbnb

Application

I interviewed at Airbnb

Interview

Most annoying recruiter communication I've ever dealt with. Random week long pauses and delays between responses, randomly scheduled interviews without any context on what they'll be about. Can't believe this is a top-tier public company.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Airbnb

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb

Interview

The interview was scheduled for 15 mins. The recruiter was a couple minutes late and seems super busy. I asked some question but turns out no time left. One day after, I got rejected with no reason.

Interview Questions
  • Normal recruiter phone screening questions. How do you think of diversity

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in Apr 2021

Interview

The HR did not care to respond timely. I had to wait days to get a response with multiple follow ups. They rejected based on no feedback after a technical round that I thought went well. Overall disappointed

Interview Questions
  • - 3 sql questions - 3 data visualisation and insight questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY)

Interview

The first part of the interview process was an online machine learning assessment which was quite theoretical. It was then proceeded by a very technical phone screen for about half an hour. The interviewer was from the Netherlands. Based on her questions and tone, it did not seem the most welcoming team for graduates with data science backgrounds.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were more tailored to industry data scientists than graduate students. The questions were about using big data in past projects, implementing models and assessing performance, and putting the models into production in industry settings. Although I found I was prepared at the time, I did not have the industry experience yet. I usually use Kaggle for ML practice, Hackerrank for SQL and Python coding, and aceainow.com for ML Python practice.
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

An Airbnb recruiter reached out. After an initial introductory phone call, they sent me the take-home assignment. I spent 20 hours in this assignment to later be rejected with a generic email, and no further answers to my questions for feedback.

Interview Questions
  • You need to complete the take-home assignment within 72 hours. You can only send a PDF, if you want to send them your code, you have to embed it within the PDF. All other companies I've interviewed with want you to send them your code. Compared to those other companies' assignments, Airbnb's was much more on the statistical side, hypothesis testing mostly. I took time off from work to complete this assignment and ended up spending about 20 hours over the course of 3 days. When I've put that much work and energy into an assignment, I've always passed. Airbnb took over a week to respond to my submission, where I had to follow up with unresponsive recruiters. When the answer finally came, it was a canned rejection email. I requested feedback that would help me do better next time. They never replied. After this experience, I don't want to interview with them for another position, nor recommend this company to anyone on my network. Rejection happens all the time and I don't expect to succeed in every interview; but I think candidates that have clearly put in the work, deserve at least some feedback, or a phone call.
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in Nov 2019

Interview

I found this interview process to be unnecessarily lengthy and, relatedly, disrespectful to the candidate. To substantiate that claim, I’ve outlined the interview process I went through for the Analytics track and added commentary on each phase. TLDR: This interview process was unprofessional enough to make me leave this long of a Glassdoor review. A function of: • Too many interviews (n=10) and redundant questions (e.g. was asked ‘Why Airbnb’ 5 separate times throughout the process, was asked a selection of ‘how would you measure x’ questions in 4 separate interviews). People have actual jobs – be considerate of their time. • Arrogant attitude (e.g., not a single interviewer introduced him/herself; out of 10 interviews, there were 5 minutes I had to ask questions). If you want the world to believe your ‘Be a host’ pitch, help your candidates get to know you too – at the very least be friendly. Details: The process amounted to 10 total interviews/meetings which spanned about 3 months from application to decision. A function of: • 1 30-minute phone screening with a sourcer who seemed to be reading from a script and was not knowledgeable enough about the role/team to answer beyond-surface-level questions • 1 45-minute SQL CoderPad interview + 'metrics interview' over the phone (e.g., 'How would you go about measuring Airbnb's customer service team's success?', etc.). The interviewer was unfriendly and seemed annoyed that he had to take the call. He said nothing other than the scripted questions. • 7 on-site interviews/meetings o 1 on-site presentation interview (15 minutes + 15 minutes for Q&A). This was with a panel of 4 listeners. 1 of them was the hiring manager, but I couldn’t tell you who the other people were because no one introduced themselves. Also worth noting, no one smiled. o 1 exploratory data analysis interview (60 minutes), where you’re given a dataset and asked to dig into it o 1 metrics interview (30 minutes), where you’re asked how you’d measure various Airbnb business dynamics + drilled into on what would move those metrics (e.g., what would an increase in x do to the average? The median?) o 1 ‘experience’ interview (45 minutes), where there were 1-2 questions about past project experience and then, mid-way through, a surprise case. This was disappointing because it was the only interview throughout the entire process that was supposed to be a chance to talk to someone on the actual team that the role was on and connect on a personal level at all vs. showing that you can be a human calculator. I had a handful of stories prepared on my work experience, most of which I wasn’t given an opportunity to share. I was also interested in getting to know the manager as a person in this interview – learning about her background or an example project she envisioned the person taking on, but unfortunately she didn’t introduce those things, and there wasn’t much time to ask questions due to the surprise case on the back end of the interview. o 2 ‘cross-functional’ interviews (each 30 minutes), which are conversational and meant to assess fit with Airbnb’s culture/values. These are a really nice concept, but they’re with random people in the organization – it would make more sense to use these an opportunity for the candidate to meet the team. o 1 non-evaluative lunch with a Data Scientist not on the team you’re applying to, meant for asking questions/getting to know Airbnb’s culture better • 1 final ‘case’ phone interview, which again consisted of ‘tell me how you’d measure x’ questions. This really felt overkill – the questions were identical in nature to many of the questions that had been asked in interviews prior. On a positive note, the recruiter responded with a decision within a week and was respectful enough to share the news over the phone. But then, of course, there was no interview feedback offered.

Interview Questions
  • If Airbnb wanted to open a new office, how would you determine how many meeting rooms to build into it?
6 people found this interview helpful

Airbnb

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in Nov 2019

Interview

Reached out to by an Airbnb recruiter while I was still with my previous company. Had a few productive phone calls before the conversation trailed off, though IIRC that was due to the recruiter not following up on a few of my questions, but not a huge deal. A few months later, I got back in touch with much more serious intentions. We set up the next step, a technical phone screen, which covered SQL and a biz case study, all of which I felt went well, then.....silence, for 2-3 weeks. Finally, a vague response from the original recruiter: "The results from the phone screen were positive, however, the team does not feel that there is a match at this point in time for our current roles." I quickly followed up, seeking more specific feedback. Then followed up again with a separate question 10 days later, and as of this writing (another 10 days later), have not heard back at all. Airbnb, if you're reading this: This was not a good experience for me. I came in with a very positive perception of DS @ airbnb, and am leaving with one that DS and recruiting are poor communicators and/or very disorganized. Since I was interviewing for a 'general data science role', and not any one in particular, it's not acceptable to say 'you did well on the test that we administered, but we're gonna pass and not tell you why'. Since i'd been recruiter-screened multiple times and covered my resume, either you're misleading me and i did poorly on the test, or there's something you screwed up in evaluating my background qualifications that you realized much later. I do not feel I was given a fair shake in this interview process, and at this point would be wary in recommending anyone to apply. I've interviewed with many dozens of companies for data science and analyst roles, and this experience was definitely on the more negative end of things.

Interview Questions
  • (something along the lines of) How would you go about designing a metric for customer service calls?
  • 3 SQL questions with standard level of difficulty, nothing overly complex required
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in Nov 2019

Interview

The interview process consists of a Take Home Challenge and several interviews. Recruiters keep you informed throughout the process and everything moves fast (interviews are scheduled as soon as you share availability, you're given feedback a couple of days after each interview, etc).

Interview Questions
  • I signed an NDA so cannot really disclose anything. But they evaluate primarily critical thinking and business knowledge, asides from technical skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in Oct 2019

Interview

Over a grueling three months: 1. Application 2. Recruiter phone screen 3. Straightforward, but time-consuming, data challenge to be completed within 72 hours. Strongly advisable to do this over a weekend and plan nothing else that weekend. Pass/fail results available 3 business days after your submission. 4. Onsite interview with half a dozen 1:1s and a 45-minute presentation covering your data challenge as well as a past project of your choosing. 5. Interminable waiting period 6. Two followup interviews by video call 7. Interminable waiting period 8. Rejection email

Interview Questions
  • What would happen if you were to include another X in your regression model?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 47 Interviews