Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Is man kind? Turns out, not really.

I was blown away when I visited the office. Such a beautiful, open space with lots of natural light. The people I met were cheerful and came across as genuinely nice. These were people whom I honestly wanted to work with. They affirmed every one of my beliefs that it is possible to work in the Bay Area for a company that cares about its employees and with people who care about more things in the world than just maximizing profits. The birds were singing that morning, the sky was blue, the breeze was gentle...

A day later, I learned that I had been rejected for the position. Hmm...that was a bit unexpected, but fair enough. That's life. Lots of disappointments and then a few successes every so often. I can live with that. When I asked for feedback, though, I was surprised to learn that the reason for the rejection was a set of trivial points about non-issues.

Let me demonstrate: if a question asks, "What is 2+2?" a human who is in control of his or her faculties would answer, "Four, professor. The answer is four." The comment I got back for that answer was that it "was an ordinary answer that didn't push the envelope." Folks, we're not designing the next servo controller for NASA here. Now this was a technical interview--not one of those lateral thinking interviews where you're asked hypotheticals and expected to think out of the box, so the actual question was about coding. Out of respect for the NDA that I signed, I won't share the actual question.

Obviously, those weren't the real reasons for the rejection. The post-interview experience left a sour taste in my mouth. It left with me with the sense that Airbnb hires like a fraternity picks its members--based on who they like. It's awfully subjective and a waste of time and energy for applicants who might not know any better. Basically, if one person doesn't like you for whatever reason then he or she can veto your application.

What a shame. It's experiences like this that turn idealists into cynics.

Interview Questions

• If you were a gerbil, which gerbil would you be?   15 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The least stressful interview process in my life! They are doing such a great job on that!

I applied online, maybe a month later got an email that they would love to do an interview with me, it was around Christmas time and I planned 3 weeks vacations they agreed to do it in min January with no problems. I did one 45min technical interview with live coding, got moved to the second round, that was two one to one technical interview, the questions were a bit harder, they expect you to solve the problem by the end of the 45min but also look at how you approach it. Interviewer were veeerryy friendly and helpful!! I felt like the interviews went well, i solved q1 with an optimal solution, q2 took me a bit longer to understand and solve, but coded most of it. Unfortunately, didn't make it to the next round which would be another interview with HR. Probably did not code fast enough, and I couldn't understand the second question at the beginning..not sure why, they don't really give any useful feedback which totally sucks. But sounds like a great company, also would consider applying again. The recruiter was very quick to reply and helpful!
    Another prons: they can't reschedule interviews

Interview Questions

• Some data structures, and arrays manipulation, basically standard average algorithm questions, but customized   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

An HR found me on social career net and I took a take-home challenge after that. The interview was supposed to be after this process, but unfortunately, I did not make through the first round.

The HR was very nice and friendly. She helped me a lot on the time arrangement and material preparing stuff.

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2017.

Interview

Telephonic round: The interview started with no introductions... open coderpad, copied a problem... "read the problem and solve it". I tried explaining the problem and how i would solve it, but the interviewer did not have the patience to listen.
    Anyway I started coding and there was a STL warning for which I thought I would ask a question. I got the response "I do not know C++".
    In all, my code compiled but the O/P was not correct... I ran out of time.

As expected I got a reject.
    But the experience was one of the worst I had gone through in my 12 years of industry experience. The person on the other side of the phone was super rude and I completely missed the point of such an interview (they can very well give me a timed coding challenge and that way I would have done the same without the weirdness of talking over phone with a rude person).

I would recommend folks to rather put your brains towards a better company (with humble people).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend.

I was given a code challenge to work on, on HackerRank. I produced code that wasn't able to pass all the test cases. Afterwards I had a follow up call with an engineer where I discussed how I would have fixed my solution.

I moved on to a phone screen interview with an engineer. The interviewer was generally friendly and talkative so I was able to bounce my ideas off him. I wrote a working solution with test cases and he seemed satisfied.

Eventually I was scheduled for an onsite interview. I commuted to the city and walked to the office. The area outside the office wasn't to nice but once you were inside it was beautiful. It was the nicest office I had ever seen, even better than Twitter imho. It was incredibly quirky. The recruiter took me around for a short tour and then I was thrown into my first two interviews.

The first two interviews were "cross functional" interviews but they were basically cultural interviews. They ask you pretty broad behavioral questions that aren't necessarily related to work at all. Each interviewer asked about 10-15 questions. I came prepared for most of the questions and didn't feel stumped by any of them.

After the cultural interviews was a deep dive interview which was pretty fun. I also prepared for this interview so I felt I did really well. I went into great detail about the largest project I attacked at work. The interviewer would ask clarifier questions and by the end of the interview we were both pretty fired up.

After this interview I had lunch with my friend who referred me. I was ensured this was NOT an interview lol.

After lunch I was thrown into two coding interviews. The first interviewer was extremely intense, noting my mistakes before I was even able to notice them. They asked me a hard question that I practiced from leetcode and glassdoor. I was able to explain my thought process and get a working solution with a few minutes to spare. This felt like a pair programming exercise.

The next interviewer came into the room and seemed extremely flustered. I legit thought he was having an anxiety attack. It made me feel uncomfortable. He could barely tell me what the question and then once he was finished he sat down and was furiously working on his laptop. This interview was a stark contract to the previous interview and was just weird. I was able to get 2/3 of the solution complete with running code so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Finally, I had an whiteboarding/system design interview with a senior engineer. I was asked to design an internationalization system. This interview was pretty fun and mostly consisted of clarifying requirements and evaluating the tradeoffs of different approaches. By the end of this interview the interviewer seemed quite excited about the discussion.

Finally, I met with my recruiter again and was escorted out. Overall, the day was extremely tiring given that I already had trouble sleeping and then had to go through a 5 hour onslaught of interviews. I left feeling incredibly optimistic and excited about Airbnb as a company. Throughout the entire process my recruiter was incredibly helpful and everything was extremely clear.

Two days later I was rejected without feedback. Upon asking for any feedback I was ignored. I'm not entirely convinced Airbnb is honestly hiring for a particular position. It feels like they might just be constantly interviewing and willing to hire any absolutely fantastical candidates... Similar to other reviews on glassdoor about AIrbnb I was left with a sour feeling in my mouth. What could I have possibly done better?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and then contacted by a recruiter. He scheduled the phone interview in a couple of days. The interview experience was really bad. The interviewer had a thick accent, he was Chinese and I find it a bit hard to understand. He presented himself as working at a different company than Airbnb (lol), corrected himself and then we jumped right into the coding question. He copied an example of input and that's it. I had to write the requirements by myself. I explained my solution and he said to code it. Then, 30 min of my monologue followed. The interviewer put himself to mute and didn't answer any of my question. Probably he thought I was just asking rhetorical questions. He did not communicate at all. It was really awkward. I think they should prepare more the interviewers, because they do not have any idea of how to hold an interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of host_ids, put them in pages of size 12 and make sure you don't have any duplicates (as possible).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, talked with her about my past experience and then she set up a phone screen. The phone screen was not to hard, basic recursion question. After that there were two Skype interviews that both involved implementing a graph to find the best path based upon some criteria. Both were only 45 mins so you I barley even worked up a solution by the the end of the interview. Overall the experience was not that bad, but it was difficult.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, about a month later was contacted by manager of research team to set up a phone interview. Interview was fine and lasted about 30 minutes. Said I would hear back about the position in a few days. The next week I received a generic email blast from the HR department notifying me that I didn't get the position. The next day the job was reposted on the Airbnb careers page. I reached to the manager I spoke with asking for feedback and never received a response. Having taken the time to speak to with a someone, I think I deserved an email from the manger.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Sterling, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with 8 people over 2 weeks, endless rounds of interviews with no structure or logic. They are horribly disorganized with interviewing, asking me to add another interview the next day with no respect for persons schedule. When 8 people interview you eventually someone will not like something, the best way to find the most neutral persons possible, nothing outstanding, nothing negative. I have degree from Harvard, and MIT and that turned them off, like really? And the people who worked for agencies are very rude when interviewing, I thought this was supposed to be a nice company. I was not going to accept even if they offered me because I could tell they were disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Endless questions, don't even try and figure them out.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter after a few weeks. I had a 45 min phone interview with an engineer, and my recruiter contacted me a few days later to let me know that I was not moving forward with the process.