Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.1

394 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I had a coding challenge from Airbnb and did not move forward to interviewing. The process was fine, I just didn't prepare much in advance and therefore wasn't ready for the challenge.

Interview Questions

• How would you split up a list of hosts into pages for a search result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Referred by an employee.

I was not attached to a specific job due to being referred by an employee who thought I'd be good for the company, and had hoped recruitment would know the right path.

Recruiter contacted me
    * Was 10 minutes late calling
    * Was in noisy area and came across distracted
    * Seemed unsure why they were calling, or maybe was just a "courtesy call" and didn't want to be talking to me?

Recruiter showed a hint of self awareness about how they might be coming across, and claimed to be uncertain about how to talk to me without being attached to a defined position.

Recruiter said they get lots of applications and talking to people who have not applied is not typical.

***(My role is a fairly standard function, so it was a bit odd for this to be difficult.)

Recruiter asked me to read some job descriptions and apply to one in order to determine how to proceed. They had multiple positions for my function, so I picked one.

***Side note: (In my company the recruitment team knows the business needs, can interview a candidate and can recommend which position might be the best fit. Hiring teams value them for this.)

Ultimately, the recruiter asked me to talk with a different recruiter.

* The 2nd recruiter called 10 minutes late.
    * Did not ask any questions about my experience, nor reference information known about me.
    * Sounded distracted, came across like they were struggling to fill the time.
    * When struggling for what to say or ask, was heavy on "uhms, uhhhs," to fill the space.
    * This recruiter had a general lack of awareness of how they were coming across.

***(Umms and ughs are not typically distracting when someone is clearly interested in talking to you. They are painful when someone is disinterested.)

Recruiter spent 10 minutes describing a fairly standard team structure. When they were finished, I said the structure was familiar, as my current team was organized the same, and we had some similar challenges.

The recruiter lacked relating responses and sounds typically associated in people listening, or engaged. Lacked verbal cues, and segue statements.

They then asked me why I was interested in AirBnB, and if I used AirBnB.

They then said there was no time for me to ask questions and I should email them if I had any.

The first recruiter contacted me a couple days later to tell me my communication style did not match theirs. I am really grateful to hear that.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in doing? Why are you interested in AirBnB? Do you use AirBnB?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The process started off with a recruiter call, mostly to just check in on what I had worked on in the past and see my interest in Airbnb positions. Following the initial recruiter call, I was setup with two phone screens.

The phone screens were fairly straight-forward leetcode style challenges to be completed in coderpad. Interviewers will want to jump straight into writing code shortly after introducing themselves and I suggest you get working on the problems as soon as possible.

I talked to multiple people regarding their phone screen questions and did a lot of research on what Airbnb asks - if you do your googling you will find that nearly all if not all of their phone screen questions are listed online in various places.

Onsite consisted of two coding interviews, two cross-functional interviews, one architectural interview, and one experience interview.

Coding questions were standard leetcode style questions. The two questions I was asked were not listed anywhere on glassdoor or leetcode and I had not seen either before. If you're on top of your CS fundamentals you should have no issues, but don't be afraid to discuss your ideas with your interviewers, as in both cases I received helpful feedback that guided me towards the correct solutions.

The cross-functional interviews are mostly just questions that enable them to see how you vibe with Airbnb's core values and how you would work as an employee. You will literally be rated on how well you fit each value, so I suggest you do your research and make sure you can tie your answers to each of the core values they have listed online.

My architectural interview focused solely on table design. I was surprised to see that the focus was entirely on tables as I mostly prepared for generic system design, but again, my interviewer was extremely helpful and happily explained concepts to me that I had previously not known.

Experience interview started with a short description of all the projects I'd worked on at my previous job and proceeded to an in-depth exploration of a project that I had worked on. Make sure you are fully prepared to answer any and all questions regarding design choices and motivations for your projects, as well as any tradeoffs and potential changes you would make now. This interview was particularly intense and you will be dinged if you do not have the answer to any of the interviewers questions, so make sure you know your projects like the back of your hand.

All in all I would say my interview experience was stressful, but kind of fun - people at Airbnb seemed very friendly, and all my interviewers were very helpful. Unfortunately, I made some mistakes that cost me the offer, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone at the company.

One extra thing I might add is that a recent interview posted on glassdoor suggested that there would be questions regarding discrete math and operating systems (processes, mutexes, etc). I was not asked any questions of the sort - it was good to get a refresher but I wish I had put the time I spent studying for that into preparing for experience/cross-functional interviews instead.

Interview Questions

• Modified version of the traditional "change-making" problem with the coins as items priced in floats and a target sum needed to reach.   1 Answer
    • Given an array of float prices, round each price such that the total sum of the prices stays as close as possible to the previous sum but the prices in the array are converted to round numbers IE (36.46 4.54) will become (36, 5)   1 Answer
    • Given a list of nodes and a list of directed connections each one of those nodes has to each other(not every node has a connection, and cycles may exist), find the minimal amount of entry points for a message to spread to every node.   1 Answer
    • "Word search II" on leetcode but with determining the largest number of words you can pack onto the graph at any one time.   1 Answer

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial communication is with the recruiter. Then you get a take home test, if that goes well you move to phone screen then onsite.

The take home test is a 90 minutes test that you need to submit over hacker rank. In this case, it was an incomplete app that needed certain features to be added. However, the app didn’t build initially which cost me a ton of time to try and build. Keep in mind that they give you a test app and if it builds, then the actual real test app that’s incomplete should build too. However, this wasn’t the case, so I spent the first half of the 90 minutes trying to figure out how to fix the gradle issues I was getting. I followed steps from Stackoverflow of someone who had a similar issue and solved it. However, it didn’t fix the issue. I ended up creating a project from scratch and copying over files one by one. By the time I was done, I barely had time to do 1 feature.

They didn’t move forward, and I expressed to them these issues. However, I don’t think they cared.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Applied online, new grad. I was contact and given the opportunity to choose either the generalist or the iOS interview process.

I went for the iOS route.

Started with one iOS phone screen, After that I was asked to do 1 iOS phone interview and 1 generalist phone interview.

After completing the third phone screen I was asked to do another generalist phone screen.

I was rejected after my 4th phone screen

I feel as if I had a much more difficult screening, mainly due to the iOS interviews requiring specific knowledge on top of the generalist. It seems like I have had to complete the generalist screening and the iOS screening making it more exhaustive. This also requires splitting interview study time between iOS & generalist, which put me at a disadvantage.

In the end, always choose the generalist route, whole process took over a month.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I applied online and after a few weeks, a recruiter reached out to me. They gave me an online coding challenge through HackerRank that was very difficult. You had one hour to do the challenge and I was not able to pass all the test cases.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was smooth, I applied on their website and a recruiter reached out fairly quickly stating interest in my background and experience. I was thrilled and was quickly moved onto the phone screen stage. The phone screen went smoothly, the question was a rudimentary FE product request type of question to quickly wire up. Feedback came back within a few days and they invited me onsite in SF. They covered flight and a $400 coupon for AirBnB lodging, with expense reports to submit food and other misc expenses afterwards. On the day of the interview I showed up and was greeted by a very beautiful recruiter, she escorted me to the den where they conduct interviews, a small room with an iMac hooked up to the wall and a terrible keyboard and mouse. Interviewers came one after the other, and in my opinion they all went very smoothly. I felt like I knocked the FE coding questions out of the park as they were fairly rudimentary. I did stumble somewhat in the BE coding question and that threw me off my base a little but I felt like I rebounded decently well, producing a working solution to the problem set. I thoroughly enjoyed the cross-functional questions, as both interviewers were very polite and welcoming and allowed me to take the conversation anywhere. All in all I had a great experience and left their office hoping for/anticipating good feedback. The next working day I received feedback that they had positive signals but not enough to move forward with an offer at this time. They communicated that they'd be open to revisiting the process in 6-8 months but I'm sure that's the standard rejection template. I asked for more details, but the recruiter admitted to not being technical and stated that "code quality and execution" were stated as stopping points. My only take away is that the questions may be deliberately easy to test other coding skills that I wasn't being mindful of. I'm definitely dissatisfied with the result, usually I know beforehand whether I performed well or not, and in this circumstance I wish I could've received more detailed feedback to better understand where they felt things went wrong.

Interview Questions

• 2 FE coding questions, 1 BE coding question - Grounded around real life problems or product requests - not BS coding challenges. 2 cross functional interviews with random personality questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had applied the year before for an internship and got an offer. I reapplied for a full-time role this year but was rejected after two phone screen. I was very confused because I solved the problem on both the phone screens, and the interviewers sounded happy enough. Last year, when I interviewed with them about six times, when my interview was about that good or even worse, I got past that interview. So I was expecting to make it to the next round and was very confused when I found out I hadn't. Seems like either they are not in a hiring mood or that technical bar is way too high.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pretty tricky string parsing related question
      2. Designing a class for financial transactions   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I worked with a recruiter that reached out to me via LinkedIn. Initially I wasn't looking to interview but after a few months the recruiter contacted me again and it was a better time then, so I gave it shot. The phone screens went really well and I thought the onsites went well too.

However, the experience left me quite confused. Two days after the interview, the recruiter sent me an email with false hopes. The email read along the lines of "Let's discuss the next steps", then when we talked on the phone I was told that although all the interviews went really well, one of them wasn't excellent, and therefore they are sad to deliver the bad news.

Honestly, I wasn't totally convinced that I wanted to work for Airbnb but I thought I'd give it a shot since the company talks so much about "compassion" and "belonging". l don't believe compassionate people use non-transparent language to communicate, and also I don't believe smart people value other people only on the basis of a single interview not being "excellent".

Phone screen 1:
    HTML/CSS/JavaScript problem on CodePen

Phone screen 2:
    JavaScript problem on CodePen

Onsite:
    Three coding interviews, one lunch, two cross-functional, and one about your past experience working on a project.

I liked that I was able to write code in CodePen instead of a whiteboard or any other environments where you can't execute code at all. Additionally I enjoyed the cross functional parts because it allowed me to be more relaxed. I thought the Frontend focused questions were pragmatic and realistic for the most part. I have mixed feelings about the one general coding question - the interviewer of this question was constantly pulling me in different directions as if he/she was trying to confuse me on purpose.

Interview Questions

• I signed their NDA and can't disclose, but strong UI, JavaScript, and general programming experience is needed.   Answer Question

University Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview was completely ridiculous. 1/2 way through the interview process I wanted to get up and walk out! They left me alone for lunch and asked me to text them when I was done. WOW!