Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Very uneven experience. Had some solid interviews, but in multiple interviews the interviewers felt undertrained. At least two interviewers appeared to be referencing print outs of question ideas. In others the interviewers seemed to want me to pound out parsing code instead of giving an algorithmic approach to the core problem at hand. In another I was asked to design a system in a domain area where I have received a patent, and the interviewer seemed lost on what other design they could ask.

Overall the impression was one of a company unable to effectively interview someone more than a few years out of university. There were a few individuals that defied the trend, but I was more disappointed in the interview process than myself when I got the rejection. On the upside they did provide feedback: not mindlessly grinding out code fast enough. I mostly felt bad for the awesome recruiter I worked with. They deserved better than the interview I saw.

Interview Questions

• Coding and algorithms ala CTCI. A design question, unintentionally matched to my experience. Culture awareness and depth of thought on what it means.   Answer Question

Community Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

Focus on experience and plans. It's a very happy experience talk with Airbnb people and know their work. They are very frank about their job and sincere about candidates. Even after two rounds I failed but I'd like to try again to apply this job. Emmm, that's all~

Interview Questions

• What will you do if you notice something has go wrong, will you say no?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and then contacted by a recruiter. He scheduled the phone interview in a couple of days. The interview experience was really bad. The interviewer had a thick accent, he was Chinese and I find it a bit hard to understand. He presented himself as working at a different company than Airbnb (lol), corrected himself and then we jumped right into the coding question. He copied an example of input and that's it. I had to write the requirements by myself. I explained my solution and he said to code it. Then, 30 min of my monologue followed. The interviewer put himself to mute and didn't answer any of my question. Probably he thought I was just asking rhetorical questions. He did not communicate at all. It was really awkward. I think they should prepare more the interviewers, because they do not have any idea of how to hold an interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of host_ids, put them in pages of size 12 and make sure you don't have any duplicates (as possible).   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, about a month later was contacted by manager of research team to set up a phone interview. Interview was fine and lasted about 30 minutes. Said I would hear back about the position in a few days. The next week I received a generic email blast from the HR department notifying me that I didn't get the position. The next day the job was reposted on the Airbnb careers page. I reached to the manager I spoke with asking for feedback and never received a response. Having taken the time to speak to with a someone, I think I deserved an email from the manger.

Community Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1-2 rounds with peers on the team, then with direct hiring manager. All questions and conversations pertain to job related duties and previous experiences that can speak about your likelihood to perform well while on the job.

Then one last 'cross-functional' interview, with a non-team member who's been part of the company for an extensive period of time, which evaluates how you'd do in the company culture vs. on the job itself. Otherwise known as the 'core values' interview which is the final evaluation one must clear before being granted a formal offer.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you had to get buy in from the group and how did you go about that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I phone interviewed two round and the experience is nice and quick. The first round is a man how seem don't care about my code. The second women is nice and kind. But I could not figure out the solution.

Interview Questions

• Some question related to IP filter and check using bit manipulation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The least stressful interview process in my life! They are doing such a great job on that!

I applied online, maybe a month later got an email that they would love to do an interview with me, it was around Christmas time and I planned 3 weeks vacations they agreed to do it in min January with no problems. I did one 45min technical interview with live coding, got moved to the second round, that was two one to one technical interview, the questions were a bit harder, they expect you to solve the problem by the end of the 45min but also look at how you approach it. Interviewer were veeerryy friendly and helpful!! I felt like the interviews went well, i solved q1 with an optimal solution, q2 took me a bit longer to understand and solve, but coded most of it. Unfortunately, didn't make it to the next round which would be another interview with HR. Probably did not code fast enough, and I couldn't understand the second question at the beginning..not sure why, they don't really give any useful feedback which totally sucks. But sounds like a great company, also would consider applying again. The recruiter was very quick to reply and helpful!
    Another prons: they can't reschedule interviews

Interview Questions

• Some data structures, and arrays manipulation, basically standard average algorithm questions, but customized   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter after a few weeks. I had a 45 min phone interview with an engineer, and my recruiter contacted me a few days later to let me know that I was not moving forward with the process.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2016.

Interview

- Recruiter at a career fair
    - Phone screen with an engineer, after a quick recruiting call
    - Engineer was kind of unhelpful, it was on the phone but on a shared codepad, difficult question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend.

I was given a code challenge to work on, on HackerRank. I produced code that wasn't able to pass all the test cases. Afterwards I had a follow up call with an engineer where I discussed how I would have fixed my solution.

I moved on to a phone screen interview with an engineer. The interviewer was generally friendly and talkative so I was able to bounce my ideas off him. I wrote a working solution with test cases and he seemed satisfied.

Eventually I was scheduled for an onsite interview. I commuted to the city and walked to the office. The area outside the office wasn't to nice but once you were inside it was beautiful. It was the nicest office I had ever seen, even better than Twitter imho. It was incredibly quirky. The recruiter took me around for a short tour and then I was thrown into my first two interviews.

The first two interviews were "cross functional" interviews but they were basically cultural interviews. They ask you pretty broad behavioral questions that aren't necessarily related to work at all. Each interviewer asked about 10-15 questions. I came prepared for most of the questions and didn't feel stumped by any of them.

After the cultural interviews was a deep dive interview which was pretty fun. I also prepared for this interview so I felt I did really well. I went into great detail about the largest project I attacked at work. The interviewer would ask clarifier questions and by the end of the interview we were both pretty fired up.

After this interview I had lunch with my friend who referred me. I was ensured this was NOT an interview lol.

After lunch I was thrown into two coding interviews. The first interviewer was extremely intense, noting my mistakes before I was even able to notice them. They asked me a hard question that I practiced from leetcode and glassdoor. I was able to explain my thought process and get a working solution with a few minutes to spare. This felt like a pair programming exercise.

The next interviewer came into the room and seemed extremely flustered. I legit thought he was having an anxiety attack. It made me feel uncomfortable. He could barely tell me what the question and then once he was finished he sat down and was furiously working on his laptop. This interview was a stark contract to the previous interview and was just weird. I was able to get 2/3 of the solution complete with running code so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Finally, I had an whiteboarding/system design interview with a senior engineer. I was asked to design an internationalization system. This interview was pretty fun and mostly consisted of clarifying requirements and evaluating the tradeoffs of different approaches. By the end of this interview the interviewer seemed quite excited about the discussion.

Finally, I met with my recruiter again and was escorted out. Overall, the day was extremely tiring given that I already had trouble sleeping and then had to go through a 5 hour onslaught of interviews. I left feeling incredibly optimistic and excited about Airbnb as a company. Throughout the entire process my recruiter was incredibly helpful and everything was extremely clear.

Two days later I was rejected without feedback. Upon asking for any feedback I was ignored. I'm not entirely convinced Airbnb is honestly hiring for a particular position. It feels like they might just be constantly interviewing and willing to hire any absolutely fantastical candidates... Similar to other reviews on glassdoor about AIrbnb I was left with a sour feeling in my mouth. What could I have possibly done better?