Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Atlanta, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

I did the coding challenge first, and the problem is not a difficult one. If you read the description carefully, then the 1 hour coding time will be enough. I am still waiting for next steps.

Public Policy Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

phone screen with recruiter, 5 skype calls, 1 in person. Mostly with near peers, last round was with hiring manager. Process stretched out several months with long periods of silence, only to be called back for another round.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions (how would you approach a problem)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Referred by an employee.

I was not attached to a specific job due to being referred by an employee who thought I'd be good for the company, and had hoped recruitment would know the right path.

Recruiter contacted me
    * Was 10 minutes late calling
    * Was in noisy area and came across distracted
    * Seemed unsure why they were calling, or maybe was just a "courtesy call" and didn't want to be talking to me?

Recruiter showed a hint of self awareness about how they might be coming across, and claimed to be uncertain about how to talk to me without being attached to a defined position.

Recruiter said they get lots of applications and talking to people who have not applied is not typical.

***(My role is a fairly standard function, so it was a bit odd for this to be difficult.)

Recruiter asked me to read some job descriptions and apply to one in order to determine how to proceed. They had multiple positions for my function, so I picked one.

***Side note: (In my company the recruitment team knows the business needs, can interview a candidate and can recommend which position might be the best fit. Hiring teams value them for this.)

Ultimately, the recruiter asked me to talk with a different recruiter.

* The 2nd recruiter called 10 minutes late.
    * Did not ask any questions about my experience, nor reference information known about me.
    * Sounded distracted, came across like they were struggling to fill the time.
    * When struggling for what to say or ask, was heavy on "uhms, uhhhs," to fill the space.
    * This recruiter had a general lack of awareness of how they were coming across.

***(Umms and ughs are not typically distracting when someone is clearly interested in talking to you. They are painful when someone is disinterested.)

Recruiter spent 10 minutes describing a fairly standard team structure. When they were finished, I said the structure was familiar, as my current team was organized the same, and we had some similar challenges.

The recruiter lacked relating responses and sounds typically associated in people listening, or engaged. Lacked verbal cues, and segue statements.

They then asked me why I was interested in AirBnB, and if I used AirBnB.

They then said there was no time for me to ask questions and I should email them if I had any.

The first recruiter contacted me a couple days later to tell me my communication style did not match theirs. I am really grateful to hear that.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in doing? Why are you interested in AirBnB? Do you use AirBnB?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had applied the year before for an internship and got an offer. I reapplied for a full-time role this year but was rejected after two phone screen. I was very confused because I solved the problem on both the phone screens, and the interviewers sounded happy enough. Last year, when I interviewed with them about six times, when my interview was about that good or even worse, I got past that interview. So I was expecting to make it to the next round and was very confused when I found out I hadn't. Seems like either they are not in a hiring mood or that technical bar is way too high.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pretty tricky string parsing related question
      2. Designing a class for financial transactions   1 Answer

Talent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Quite involved and lengthy, but well-orchestrated and smooth. Focus on cultural fit, and on ensuring that you'd be a good addition to the org. Some technical elements, and experience/behavioural-based questions as well, but underpinning is the cultural fit. I appreciate their rigour in hiring the right people, and the recruiter was top notch.

Interview Questions

• Questions focused on their core values, and on your own experiences using Airbnb, being a host, guest, etc.   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was smooth, I applied on their website and a recruiter reached out fairly quickly stating interest in my background and experience. I was thrilled and was quickly moved onto the phone screen stage. The phone screen went smoothly, the question was a rudimentary FE product request type of question to quickly wire up. Feedback came back within a few days and they invited me onsite in SF. They covered flight and a $400 coupon for AirBnB lodging, with expense reports to submit food and other misc expenses afterwards. On the day of the interview I showed up and was greeted by a very beautiful recruiter, she escorted me to the den where they conduct interviews, a small room with an iMac hooked up to the wall and a terrible keyboard and mouse. Interviewers came one after the other, and in my opinion they all went very smoothly. I felt like I knocked the FE coding questions out of the park as they were fairly rudimentary. I did stumble somewhat in the BE coding question and that threw me off my base a little but I felt like I rebounded decently well, producing a working solution to the problem set. I thoroughly enjoyed the cross-functional questions, as both interviewers were very polite and welcoming and allowed me to take the conversation anywhere. All in all I had a great experience and left their office hoping for/anticipating good feedback. The next working day I received feedback that they had positive signals but not enough to move forward with an offer at this time. They communicated that they'd be open to revisiting the process in 6-8 months but I'm sure that's the standard rejection template. I asked for more details, but the recruiter admitted to not being technical and stated that "code quality and execution" were stated as stopping points. My only take away is that the questions may be deliberately easy to test other coding skills that I wasn't being mindful of. I'm definitely dissatisfied with the result, usually I know beforehand whether I performed well or not, and in this circumstance I wish I could've received more detailed feedback to better understand where they felt things went wrong.

Interview Questions

• 2 FE coding questions, 1 BE coding question - Grounded around real life problems or product requests - not BS coding challenges. 2 cross functional interviews with random personality questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I got an invite from a recruiter to attend a network event, which led to a Hacker Rank challenge. Afterwards, I talked on the phone with an engineer for 15 minutes to go over my solution. Then, I was invited to do two technical Skype interviews. Finally, they flew me on-site for three interviews: 1 technical and 2 "cross functional" interviews. The cross functional interviews were largely cultural, i.e. would you be a good fit for Airbnb? The cross functional interviews are not necessarily conducted by other engineers. Overall, everything was super quick and the recruiters were really personable. The company made a really positive impression on me. Definitely look at the glass door posts below to prepare for interviews - they're very helpful.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2017.

Interview

Coding challenge followed up by technical phone call. Then followed up by two back to back skype techinical interviews, and then finally a behavioral interview. There was also a third technical interview, but not everyone gets this.

Property Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

Overall a positive experience. Recruiter was friendly and engaging. Two-stage interview process, one over the phone, the next one in-person at the office. Interview was with a recruiter and a manager on the team. Questions asked were more experience-based; getting a feel of how you act in certain situations to get a better idea of the kind of person you are.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to critically assess a situation in order to improve it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I had a coding challenge from Airbnb and did not move forward to interviewing. The process was fine, I just didn't prepare much in advance and therefore wasn't ready for the challenge.

Interview Questions

• How would you split up a list of hosts into pages for a search result?   Answer Question