Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in March 2019.

Interview

I had a very disappointing experience with Airbnb. I applied online for the position (Seattle office) and got contacted by a recruiter 2 weeks later. The recruiter was very cordial and sent me a take-home data challenge, to be returned in 72 hours. It wasn't too tough but required a lot of work... doing the analysis, making graphs, preparing a report.

After a couple of days, I got an automated rejection email, sent from a no-reply email ID. I am not unhappy about the rejection, but what is with these automated emails? I spent 3 days on the project and I don't even get a personalized email which would've taken 5 minutes to write? WOW. And a no-reply email address just means they basically want nothing to do with you and not to even reply. This is such a smack in the face.
    Airbnb, you need to treat your candidates better.

Interview Questions

• Take home data challenge. Had to analyse the data and come up with some insights   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Interview

Bad organization, cancelled one onsite interview on the spot
    Rude recruiter that didn't give update until bumping up twice, tried to end the call twice when I ask for feedback

Very disappointed .... Airbnb used to be my dream company

Interview Questions

• How's your understanding of our culture?
      An experience helping others to feel like home   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

This was mainly a remote interview - talked with recruiter and then hiring manager. Asked a lot of behavioral questions, no technical aspect to the interview. Asked about past internship and school experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Two phone screens. None of the questions were from Leetcode. In my first phone screen I coded up the solution but got stuck in solving the edge cases, so probably got passed on for a second phone screen.

Onsite was 6 rounds + lunch. Two of those interviews were culture fit interviews. No prep needed for the culture rounds, really. Just be yourself and chat candidly and you'll be fine. Two rounds were coding rounds, which involved writing the solution in an ide, compiling it and testing it against their test cases. The questions were pretty straight forward. There was a system design round and an experience round. The system design round was like any other system design round, but with less fluff about technologies to use and more about identifying bottlenecks and improving them and getting the data model right. I really enjoyed the system design round. The experience round was just me explaining one of my most recent projects.

Overall, very good experience. I had a lot of fun talking to the engineers there.

Software Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Phone interview went great. Onsite was great too. Technical questions were not terribly difficult but you shouldn't let your guard down. Flunked the interview because I didn't learn about SQL compound. indexes, and couldn't finish one of the problems.

Interview Questions

• Which tables and indexes do you need in a SQL db to manage chat threads.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Got referred through a friend and talked to a recruiter who explained the standard process of phone interview followed by onsite interviews. Got phone call from an engineer who directly jumped on the question, so I took the opportunity to ask about his team and company in general only at the end. Over a good experience talking to him.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of strings find all the pairs, when concatenated, form palindrome.   Answer Question

Survey Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in February 2019.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview to learn about my research background. The second round was super intensive with 3~4 back-to-back interviews. There was a presentation in the second round interview as well. Questions were kind of random and depend on your background.

SWE Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I was sent a link to an online coding challenge, which was a relatively straightforward question. I heard back soon after with the notification that they would not be moving forward with my app at the time, but with no feedback as to why.

Interview Questions

Interview

Two back-to-back thirty-minute video interviews, each with one person. Interviewers seemed ignorant of my resume and interview felt rushed. They were vague about the job duties. Asked some creative questions, like: if you had one million dollars to solve one problem, what would be your plan of action?

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Stanford, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later, asking me to complete a hackerrank challenge. The first step was a coding challenge on hackerrank followed by two back to back phone-screens.

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank had two questions, the first was an easy warm-up question and the second was a much more involved questions which required use of hashmaps/dictionaries.
      For the first phone-screen, I was asked to implement the 8-puzzle from scratch.
      For the second phone screen, the question was printing a terrain map given an array of integers representing the heights of the terrain. Afterwards, I was given an array position and and an integer representing a volume of water poured onto the terrain at the given position and asked to print out the terrain along with the water.   Answer Question