Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I have my friend refer me to the recruiter. The interview scheduling process and recruiter is very nice. And they gave lots of useful materials for preparing the interview.

The onsite contains 2 codings, 2 architect, 2 cross function and 1 experience. The coding question has high requirement, and you need to come out runnable result in 45 minutes. The cross function are also an important part of airbnb interview, ask you why choose this company.
    I failed in both architect part. There are 2 system design questions, which had been well known in glassdoor and been well prepared by me. But I got 2 negative response in those rounds.
    The first question is to design translating system, I think I come out design with interviewers requirements, and looks like interviewer is satisfied. The other question is key-value cache design. I think the round the interviewer is not satisfied. He was trying to dig deep and figure out if I have a overall and detailed knowledge on the system. While what make me struggle is it's hard to get what he is asking, and I feel he is not satisfied with my answers. I may need to thing more about the system design interview expectations after this failures.

Overall, I think the interview process itself is good, and the recruiter is much more friendly than Amazon recruiter.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2018.

Interview

2 45-minute video interview using codepad. Interviewers are pretty nice, they are patient and don't really bother you when you are answering their question. But note video interviews are trickey, and 45 minutes is really nothing, you will run out of time real quick.

Interview Questions

• Two coding questions, probably easy to medium on leetcode   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in October 2018.

Interview

Received a coding challenge from a recruiter fairly promptly after applying online as a university college student. The problem was not too easy and I did not get through to the next round.

Interview Questions

• It was a non-standard coding problem   1 Answer

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

The process started with a phone screen with a quick decision to follow up. Another phone screen with a different person resulted in an onsite invitation. The onsite interview was broken up with 30 minute sessions with 5 people.

Interview Questions

• General recruitment management questions (When have you had to manage up, manage out, process, etc.) followed by questions about impactful work and situations, what if you won the lottery and didn't have to work - what would you do? Some data questions around what metrics do you watch, why. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The odd questions came from people who were not in recruiting. They seemed fixated on questions that had little relevance and when answered, obsessed about narrow aspects of the questions that again had no relevance to your ability to do the job, collaborate or contribute.   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Hackerrank challenge, two technical phone screens and a cross-functional interview. Technical portions focus on data structures and algorithms and cross-functional focuses on you being your authentic self. Recruiters were very nice and supportive throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Data structures and Algorithms   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2018.

Interview

I interviewed with Airbnb for a SWE intern position in October, 2018. I submitted my resume in an on-campus recruiting event and I heard back in roughly 1 week and was given an online challenge (~45 min HackerRank challenge). The HR reached out after I submitted the online challenge and asked me to schedule two 45 minutes technical phone interview with the engineers. The questions are Leetcode medium/hard level. What came next is a culture fit round, they ask you standard behavior questions but also questions related to Airbnb and traveling. If you passed all the rounds, you will receive a phone call form the HR discussing the offer. Airbnb moves fast with the interview process and overall it is a very positive experience!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2018.

Interview

Was incredibly seamless and fast! Had a blast interviewing at Airbnb. Recruiters are very caring and very friendly! Had a coding challenge and then an on-campus interview, which was followed by their personality and fit/behavioral interview. That was it!

Software Engineer -- Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Phone interview + Onsite (4 interviews) + 2 Culture Interviews.

The interviews were standard leetcode questions. My code ran successfully over the phone interviews and I was invited onsite. The onsite airbnb hotel budget was very small and I either had to settle with living in someone's living room in SF or stay far in peace and prepare for onsite. I chose the latter. My first two interviews were leetcode questions and my code ran successfully. My first interviewer was an ML engineer working on spam and when it was my chance to ask him a question. I asked him since most listings are not spam, how do you evaluate success of your algorithms, since a 95% accuracy for your spam algorithm does not indicate success. The interviewer waffled until it was obvious that he does not know any ML. The second interviewer was equally dense, confused by her own question, running in and out of the room. The cafes are nice but the working areas are really crammed, worse than a third world call center. The hallways echoed conversations in Mandarin. I had a mix of positive and negative reviews from the interviewers and did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode questions, not very smart interviewers   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me next day to setup phone interview.

Online coderpad challenge. Could not solve the entire problem! Got rejection mail next day.

Make sure you are able to compile and get the result

Interview Questions

• Paginate the list of CSV strings based on certain conditions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

My interview was at the Seattle office. It consisted of four rounds of questions/interviews. The first involved describing a project I had worked on, detailing my specific contributions and impact. The following two were coding questions that I had to write on my laptop and compile. The last one was an informal chat with a current engineer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you have worked on, and detail your specific contributions and impact.   Answer Question