Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Host Community Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

3-4 interviews with people on my team that I would have worked with

2 "cross functional" interviews with people in the company that I wouldn't work with on a daily basis - the purpose is to check if I'm a cultural fit

Interview Questions

• Talk about a recent transformative experience...
      What's a recent gift you gave someone?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in July 2018.

Interview

I applied to Airbnb at the end of June, and was contacted a day later about attending a group meetup, or their version of a group interview.

The group meetup was in their Portland office, and was about 3 hours long. We role played host/guest scenarios with Team Leads, and then had a 1:1 with an employee.

From there, I was contacted about a week later to schedule two thirty minute long cross-functional video interviews. They were both with employees who did not work in Customer Operations.

Lastly, I was asked to provide two professional references.

A week and a half later I was emailed with an offer to start the job.

The process took about 6-7 weeks total.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for the analytics DS position.

- Initial call with HR
    - Takehome test
    - On-site presentation
    - Multiple on-site interviews

The process is very vigorous and quite energy draining; I was super glad when it was over as it took a lot of my time and effort. Proceed if you're willing to give this your full 100%, otherwise you'll probably won't make it.

The take home assignment can take a full 2-3 days depending on how committed you are and your willingness to explore the entire dataset. You'll be using a good chunk of your data slicing and dicing skills + your analytical skills. The point of this assignment is to see if your thought process aligns with what Airbnb is looking for.

The on-site presentation consists of your take home and a project you'd like to share from your previous work. The audience consisted of a bunch of data science managers.

Beyond the presentation, I had 5 interviews (2 culture fit, 2 with data science managers, 1 technical, and a casual lunch). The two interviews with data science managers were similar to the "technical" interview I had; metrics creation, hypothesis testing, etc. Culture fit interviews are self explanatory.

Interview Questions

• - Metrics creation
      - Metrics diagnostics
      - A/B testing
      - Tons of behavioral questions   2 Answers

Recruiting Interview

Interview

recorded video interview- there were 5 questions on the screen you had 3 min to answer each one, fairly easy questions, no re-dos if you didnt like your answer, one time answer and submit.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Interview

My point of contact was extremely friendly and helpful, but the first round interview was a recorded video. It was hard to get a feel for the company and the answers they wanted via webcam. The second round was via skype, due to technical difficulties I wasn't even able to see who I was speaking to. It all felt rather impersonal and I was disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Organization techniques and situationals   1 Answer

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Unprofessional interviewer. She can't stop checking how she looks like on the camera and keeps fixing her hair. She looks like she was somewhere coz she was certainly not paying attention to what I was saying.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a difficult situation and what did you do?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

12+ interviews over several months. Some by video, some by phone, and a full day of onsite interviews. Additionally had to do a take-home assignment and then present the deck to 8 people.

Data Scientist/Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in June 2018.

Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks.

Phone screen with the recruiter who was nice, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on. Take home involved cleaning, interpreting and analysing the data sets. Four our five business questions to answer through the data analysis and to create a PPT for the business users and submit all the code for the techincal audience. I spent my entire weekend days and night working on the assignment. I enjoyed working on it and i think my recommendation to the business questions and my PPT was something that could have been used to actually present it to the business users (content, slides, visuals, formatting. I even created a theme and template :()

Two weeks later got an email from HR saying i did not meet their requirements. They could atleast pick up a phone and i would appreciate some feedback, given i spent so much time working on the take home. It was disappointing. I have worked with other technical companies in the bay area and got good feedback after each rounds.

Interview Questions

• What metrics to analyse to answer some Business questions and recommendations   Answer Question

Senior FP&A Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter. 45 Minute phone interview with hiring manager. On-site presentation + four 1:1s. Overall the recruiter was v challenging to work with. Never followed-up on next steps, missed schedule calls, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you work with disparate/ambiguous data sources?   1 Answer
    • What is the dynamic between guests and hosts?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, another with one of the DS managers, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on.

Getting tired of this general tech trend of making a candidate go through these long "homeworks" where the candidate is incredibly engaged, but there being very little effort from the company. Spent many hours on the homework, but was not accepted to come on for the final loop and received zero feedback on the work provided. Takes five to ten minutes to jump on the phone to give some feedback and suggestions. On top of that I had a DS from a larger tech company look at my work, gave a few small nits, but said it was solid work overall which just leads me to more questions on what Airbnb is even looking for.

Respect your candidates and try to put in at least half as much effort as they do when going through the process.

Interview Questions

• Homework was an end-to-end product question. Pretty typical supply/demand balancing for a PaaS company with a lot of data columns to do various segmentations on. Needed to provide a presentation for a non-technical audience and then a technical appendix for the data crowd to build on top of your work.   2 Answers