Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Interview

My point of contact was extremely friendly and helpful, but the first round interview was a recorded video. It was hard to get a feel for the company and the answers they wanted via webcam. The second round was via skype, due to technical difficulties I wasn't even able to see who I was speaking to. It all felt rather impersonal and I was disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Organization techniques and situationals   1 Answer

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Unprofessional interviewer. She can't stop checking how she looks like on the camera and keeps fixing her hair. She looks like she was somewhere coz she was certainly not paying attention to what I was saying.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a difficult situation and what did you do?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

12+ interviews over several months. Some by video, some by phone, and a full day of onsite interviews. Additionally had to do a take-home assignment and then present the deck to 8 people.

Data Scientist/Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in June 2018.

Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks.

Phone screen with the recruiter who was nice, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on. Take home involved cleaning, interpreting and analysing the data sets. Four our five business questions to answer through the data analysis and to create a PPT for the business users and submit all the code for the techincal audience. I spent my entire weekend days and night working on the assignment. I enjoyed working on it and i think my recommendation to the business questions and my PPT was something that could have been used to actually present it to the business users (content, slides, visuals, formatting. I even created a theme and template :()

Two weeks later got an email from HR saying i did not meet their requirements. They could atleast pick up a phone and i would appreciate some feedback, given i spent so much time working on the take home. It was disappointing. I have worked with other technical companies in the bay area and got good feedback after each rounds.

Interview Questions

• What metrics to analyse to answer some Business questions and recommendations   Answer Question

Senior FP&A Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter. 45 Minute phone interview with hiring manager. On-site presentation + four 1:1s. Overall the recruiter was v challenging to work with. Never followed-up on next steps, missed schedule calls, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you work with disparate/ambiguous data sources?   1 Answer
    • What is the dynamic between guests and hosts?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Airbnb in June 2018.

Interview

- Started with an email to complete a code challenge - Hackerrank
    - Got a follow up email from a recruiter to set up a quick phone interview with an engineer to go through my code
    - 15 min phone went through my code analysis and
    time complexity (very nice to talk to the interviewer)
    - Scheduled another 45 min phone code interview ( Unfortunately this one was one of my worst interviews due to lack of communication of the interviewer and outside noise from the interviewer’s side such as people playing pool, air hockey, or something similar and speaking loud that affected my thinking and thought process during the interview; I had to lower the volume of my headphones several times to avoid the noise. I do not think this is an appropriate way to conduct an interview).
    - I was able to answer most of the coding question but not 100%.
    - Got no-reply/automated email that they are not proceeding with me with the position I applied for.
    - Very vague process, and I felt I wasted my time during this process.

Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter and a week later I got an email setting up the date for a technical interview. After the technical interview, I later got an email asking for an on-site interview. I ended up taking a job at another company so I didn't go to the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Did a coding challenge, two phone interviews, and then finally a cross functional interview. Was a very well organized process and they were able to speed up the decision process because I had a competing offer.

Interview Questions

• Rainfall question, traversal of tree   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, another with one of the DS managers, and then a take-home which they give you four days to complete and expect a candidate to spend about eight hours on.

Getting tired of this general tech trend of making a candidate go through these long "homeworks" where the candidate is incredibly engaged, but there being very little effort from the company. Spent many hours on the homework, but was not accepted to come on for the final loop and received zero feedback on the work provided. Takes five to ten minutes to jump on the phone to give some feedback and suggestions. On top of that I had a DS from a larger tech company look at my work, gave a few small nits, but said it was solid work overall which just leads me to more questions on what Airbnb is even looking for.

Respect your candidates and try to put in at least half as much effort as they do when going through the process.

Interview Questions

• Homework was an end-to-end product question. Pretty typical supply/demand balancing for a PaaS company with a lot of data columns to do various segmentations on. Needed to provide a presentation for a non-technical audience and then a technical appendix for the data crowd to build on top of your work.   2 Answers

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Airbnb in May 2018.

Interview

After applying online through Airbnb's website I was invited to continue the process by doing what they called a "recorded video interview," which in my opinion was not an interview of any sort but rather an extended application. Outsourcing the work to a company called ConveyIQ, I had to sign up (quick and easy) and then I was able to do this "interview." Before getting to the section where I would be recorded, there was some videos available about Airbnb where they took the time to explain how important human capital is among this network of travelers that make up their customer base but also among employees (video available on youtube where they had a minitaure village built that a train drove around). Anyways, it was odd to watch this video and have it be conveyed how important the people are and then do this extended application that they decided to call an interview. You start the application where they offer a practice (short questions, not like the ones in the actual interview with same setup); the setup is 30 seconds to read the question and prepare an answer and then a timer counts down from 3 to the 3 minute period where you get to record your answer. Nothing about this conveyed anything about the company, their processes, or what I would hope to expect from a new age company like Airbnb. Interviews require interaction and always open for questions at the end should the applicant choose to express further interest; not to mention an interview is never timed. It really should be considered an extended application; I'm sad I had this experience with Airbnb.

Interview Questions

• What qualities/skills would you look for in team members that would make the group strong?   1 Answer