Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Great experience - the recruiter and hiring manager were very communicative and helpful. Loved the team. Had a phone screen with recruiter and then was brought into the office for in-person interviews. Amazing office, lunch, people, etc.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Had an initial interview with the recruiter. He spoke very positively and said he would pass my info along to the team. Then, nothing. I wrote multiple emails following up and no response at all. Fine if they didn't want to move me further but a response at miminum would have been nice for a company that sells their culture and says they value openness so much.

Media Interview

Interview

Phone interview with someone on their in-house recruiting team. Things seemed to go well and he wrapped up by telling me he'd set up an interview with the hiring manager. Then, radio silence.

Data Science Analytics, Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the role through internal referral, and heard back from the recruiter 2 days later for a follow up phone call. The conversation with the recruiter went well, and I really liked how clear the recruiter provided the team structure info without me even asking. This followed by the take home assignment, due to my own schedule problem, I did the take home 1.5 weeks later. One thing interesting happened was I could not find the role I applied for on Airbnb anymore before I did my take-home. I was not sure if that role was still open or something happened to it, but I decided not to ask but just to go through with the take-home step.

The take-home question is an interesting one to work on, but I don't know where the time estimated to complete the task came from, to me, 3-6 hours is an unrealistic timeline to solve such an open-ended question; especially when you are expected to put together a presentation or have a write up.

The timeline for getting feedback from take-home was also clearly communicated. So as expected, I got my result on the last day, though a bad news. And what's more is I actually got some concrete feedback when I asked the recruiter, which shows Airbnb's transparency, not like a lot of other big companies these days. I don't think the take-home reflects my real ability on the part they ding'd me for, but I understand their decision if there are other people who managed to do a better job than I am from all fronts within the 48-hour deadline.

Interview Questions

• With recruiter it's mostly about my past experience and what kind of role I am looking for. The take home is to find insights through marketplace (host-guest) data in a specific city   Answer Question

Public Policy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application, we had email correspondence, then had a series of phone screenings, etc. During the process I had regular communication with the recruiter, this person was my point of contact throughout the process. I was then handed off to speak to others on the team. Overall it was smooth and efficient experience.

Interview Questions

• Biographical info, why Airbnb, what skillset do you bring to table?   Answer Question
    • How did you handle difficult situation? (thought process, steps taken, result, lessons learned)   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2017.

Interview

After I applied, I got a response back within a week or so asking to schedule a hackerrank coding challenge. This went quite well, as the recruiter(s) quickly followed up by scheduling two technical 45 minute Skype interviews. After this part, there was an additional 45 minute technical Skype interview. This particular interview was quite hard due to the nature of the question, and I ended up doing not too well. This was followed up by a 30 minute behavioral interview with a lot of culture fit questions. Overall, all of the interviewers were great and the HR was very prompt in responding to emails and scheduling interviews.

Interview Questions

• Paginate through a list of entries, Palindrome Pairs, IP to CIDR representation   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2017.

Interview

Coding challenge followed up by technical phone call. Then followed up by two back to back skype techinical interviews, and then finally a behavioral interview. There was also a third technical interview, but not everyone gets this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

First an online assessment, then a phone call asking me to explain my code. After that there were 2 back-to-back phone interviews and the last step was go onsite to do interviews on coding and culture fit

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Applied on the onsite career site, was contacted by recruiter to take HackerRank online coding challenge. They don't even give you a phone interview call, no matter what your experience level is or which reputable tech company you're coming from. Automated testing using HackerRank robot is not the right way to test experienced engineers. If we are spending our valuable time, it is fair to expect the employer to have the same skin in the game.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Interviewers are generally unknowledgable of the questions they are asking (they are pulling it from an internal database). Wasted time trying to convince the interviewers of the algorithms when what I came up with was different than what the official solution is. (eg trying to convince the interviewer that DFS approach works on topological sort)

They require complete/functional code, yet they don't provide a proper input to test from (one interviewer presented a 500 line file cut-pasted and wanted to get it into coderpad).

They are not interested in how you think/approach to the problem, only if you can get the final answer or not.

Interview Questions

• Shortest path with length cap. (What is the minimum cost of flying from A to B given the cost of flights, while capping the total number of flights at some constant)   1 Answer