Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Interviewers are generally unknowledgable of the questions they are asking (they are pulling it from an internal database). Wasted time trying to convince the interviewers of the algorithms when what I came up with was different than what the official solution is. (eg trying to convince the interviewer that DFS approach works on topological sort)

They require complete/functional code, yet they don't provide a proper input to test from (one interviewer presented a 500 line file cut-pasted and wanted to get it into coderpad).

They are not interested in how you think/approach to the problem, only if you can get the final answer or not.

Interview Questions

• Shortest path with length cap. (What is the minimum cost of flying from A to B given the cost of flights, while capping the total number of flights at some constant)   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

Interview

They give me a take-home challenge to finish within 48 hours. It's an experimental design and asks me to analyze the data. They are looking for suggestions for evaluating the future of this change.

Interview Questions

• How can you report the statistical results to a non-statistician staff.   1 Answer

UX Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

45 minute portfolio, then 6 separate 30 minute 1:1 interviews, 2 of which being culture fit - shorter then every other panel I've ever done. Everything is rushed - 1/2 the time of anywhere else I've ever interviewed. Honestly in retrospect should have done more to prepare for this and really nail down story telling. Nothing felt difficult or taxing.

Particularly impressed with the panel - awesome folks and really enjoyed the culture.

Culture fit interviews - expect them to get personal quickly.

Portfolio
    45 minutes, as opposed to the usual hour at other places. Be as detailed as possible with your research methods, constraints, limitation and context setting for your research and stick to the research for examples.

Expect people to be late. Expect late responses to check ins. Expect almost no time for your own questions during the interviews.

Mixed bag overall - really loved the 1:1s and the people - really surprised at the feedback because everyone was incredibly positive during the sessions - no obvious signs that it wasn't enough. The condensed format did not feel enough time to go into enough depth on anything - if you've been working in an area that requires extra context setting before you go into depth over prepare and streamline.

Interview Questions

• Getting the exact same question twice from two of the 1:1's   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

My friend who works there told me that there was an opening. So I applied and got an email a day or so later to set up a phone interview appointment. She told me to expect t eh phone interview to take 30-40 minutes.
    The phone interviewer called right on time. We went over a few standard interview questions and she went on about what will happen next.
    I got an email the next day saying I was invited to the hiring meetup. It gave a ton of information about parking, what to expect, what to wear and any other questions an applicant may have ie pay, perks, etc.
    I had my appointment for the hiring meetup yesterday. At the meetup we started with our names and a fun fact. Then we were split up in groups of 5 and went through a few real life scenarios of calls they have had. We each got two questions each. After that we did a group activity regarding survival and the top 5 items you would keep and why. After that was done we got back into the big group and asked any questions we had and learned about the next steps. Lastly, we had our one on one interviews with a member of management and left.

Interview Questions

• What is one accomplishment you are most proud of in your career?   1 Answer
    • What would your last manager say is your strongest character trait?   1 Answer

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I had a really great call with a recruiter, who - even though I am very junior, after talking to me brought me directly onsite. They worked quickly and got me to talk to the hiring manager the next day, and then an offer almost immediately. I really felt their culture and felt hosted. Loved every minute of being there. They really understood what I was about, valued me and what I was saying even though I was significantly more junior than anyone I was talking to, and cared about what they were doing. The hiring team followed up with congratulations to me once and offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about relationships with hiring managers, sourcers, and coordinators... about myself, etc. A few out of the box questions about me :) Questions about why Airbnb. Nothing unexpected.   2 Answers

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, in person (3 interviewer)-interview lasted 1 hour and it was basically the review of my experiences and explaining the role and expectations, who the person is going to have to interact with and support, possible complications,...

Interview Questions

• Can you work in stressful environment?
      Ho familiar you are with excel sheets? Pivot tables? Look ups? Payment processes?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was made by another company not Airbnb by itself. The woman was very nice and helpful and it was by phone and the first they asked me: tell me about yourself and after is one coding problem

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

It started with a phone call interview. We talked about my background, then the expectations for the job. At the end of the call, we set up a tentative meeting with the next interviewer.

CX Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Received email to schedule a phone interview, which ended up being pretty conversational. After that, I received an email invitation to come to a hiring meet-up. Meet-up was cool, very laid back. Large group introductions, small group mock phone calls from difficult customers they've had in the past (basically they want you to keep the customer engaged on the phone, ask questions, and eventually offer some type of Airbnb voucher to solve the problem) and then one on one interviews.

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

It was just a few emails with what I assume to be the Managing Editor, then a Skype call. The call lasted about 30 minutes, then we set up a test shoot to be able to assess my skills.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my general photography experience, and asked what experience I had with interior or real estate photography.   1 Answer