Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I had a coding challenge from Airbnb and did not move forward to interviewing. The process was fine, I just didn't prepare much in advance and therefore wasn't ready for the challenge.

Interview Questions

• How would you split up a list of hosts into pages for a search result?   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial communication is with the recruiter. Then you get a take home test, if that goes well you move to phone screen then onsite.

The take home test is a 90 minutes test that you need to submit over hacker rank. In this case, it was an incomplete app that needed certain features to be added. However, the app didn’t build initially which cost me a ton of time to try and build. Keep in mind that they give you a test app and if it builds, then the actual real test app that’s incomplete should build too. However, this wasn’t the case, so I spent the first half of the 90 minutes trying to figure out how to fix the gradle issues I was getting. I followed steps from Stackoverflow of someone who had a similar issue and solved it. However, it didn’t fix the issue. I ended up creating a project from scratch and copying over files one by one. By the time I was done, I barely had time to do 1 feature.

They didn’t move forward, and I expressed to them these issues. However, I don’t think they cared.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Applied online, new grad. I was contact and given the opportunity to choose either the generalist or the iOS interview process.

I went for the iOS route.

Started with one iOS phone screen, After that I was asked to do 1 iOS phone interview and 1 generalist phone interview.

After completing the third phone screen I was asked to do another generalist phone screen.

I was rejected after my 4th phone screen

I feel as if I had a much more difficult screening, mainly due to the iOS interviews requiring specific knowledge on top of the generalist. It seems like I have had to complete the generalist screening and the iOS screening making it more exhaustive. This also requires splitting interview study time between iOS & generalist, which put me at a disadvantage.

In the end, always choose the generalist route, whole process took over a month.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I got an invite from a recruiter to attend a network event, which led to a Hacker Rank challenge. Afterwards, I talked on the phone with an engineer for 15 minutes to go over my solution. Then, I was invited to do two technical Skype interviews. Finally, they flew me on-site for three interviews: 1 technical and 2 "cross functional" interviews. The cross functional interviews were largely cultural, i.e. would you be a good fit for Airbnb? The cross functional interviews are not necessarily conducted by other engineers. Overall, everything was super quick and the recruiters were really personable. The company made a really positive impression on me. Definitely look at the glass door posts below to prepare for interviews - they're very helpful.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to go to a networking event for my university, then I completed the HackerRank coding challenge, which was pretty straightforward. After that, I had a 15 min call with an engineer to talk through my solution. He asked me to walk through my code and if I would change anything about it. After that, two back-to-back 45 minute technical phone interviews via CoderPad.

Interview Questions

• Graph search   Answer Question
    • Given an unsorted array of integers that you can not index into (aka can't sort), write a function that finds the median.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I applied online and after a few weeks, a recruiter reached out to me. They gave me an online coding challenge through HackerRank that was very difficult. You had one hour to do the challenge and I was not able to pass all the test cases.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was smooth, I applied on their website and a recruiter reached out fairly quickly stating interest in my background and experience. I was thrilled and was quickly moved onto the phone screen stage. The phone screen went smoothly, the question was a rudimentary FE product request type of question to quickly wire up. Feedback came back within a few days and they invited me onsite in SF. They covered flight and a $400 coupon for AirBnB lodging, with expense reports to submit food and other misc expenses afterwards. On the day of the interview I showed up and was greeted by a very beautiful recruiter, she escorted me to the den where they conduct interviews, a small room with an iMac hooked up to the wall and a terrible keyboard and mouse. Interviewers came one after the other, and in my opinion they all went very smoothly. I felt like I knocked the FE coding questions out of the park as they were fairly rudimentary. I did stumble somewhat in the BE coding question and that threw me off my base a little but I felt like I rebounded decently well, producing a working solution to the problem set. I thoroughly enjoyed the cross-functional questions, as both interviewers were very polite and welcoming and allowed me to take the conversation anywhere. All in all I had a great experience and left their office hoping for/anticipating good feedback. The next working day I received feedback that they had positive signals but not enough to move forward with an offer at this time. They communicated that they'd be open to revisiting the process in 6-8 months but I'm sure that's the standard rejection template. I asked for more details, but the recruiter admitted to not being technical and stated that "code quality and execution" were stated as stopping points. My only take away is that the questions may be deliberately easy to test other coding skills that I wasn't being mindful of. I'm definitely dissatisfied with the result, usually I know beforehand whether I performed well or not, and in this circumstance I wish I could've received more detailed feedback to better understand where they felt things went wrong.

Interview Questions

• 2 FE coding questions, 1 BE coding question - Grounded around real life problems or product requests - not BS coding challenges. 2 cross functional interviews with random personality questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had applied the year before for an internship and got an offer. I reapplied for a full-time role this year but was rejected after two phone screen. I was very confused because I solved the problem on both the phone screens, and the interviewers sounded happy enough. Last year, when I interviewed with them about six times, when my interview was about that good or even worse, I got past that interview. So I was expecting to make it to the next round and was very confused when I found out I hadn't. Seems like either they are not in a hiring mood or that technical bar is way too high.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pretty tricky string parsing related question
      2. Designing a class for financial transactions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Atlanta, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

I did the coding challenge first, and the problem is not a difficult one. If you read the description carefully, then the 1 hour coding time will be enough. I am still waiting for next steps.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me. They asked if I wanted to go for traditional engineer role or frontend engineer role. I chose frontend. They scheduled the interview at my earliest convenience.

First phone screen was in codepen and was to use any framework I wanted (jquery was loaded by default but I went with react) to implement a very basic frontend component. The task itself is easy but they were looking for how you might make it reusable and it was not conversational or collaborative. You can ask questions but you have to accomplish the task as fast as possible.

Moved to a second phone screen which was on coderpad which was to implement a model that passed some tests. This was conversational and they even said I could google things. The task is easy enough and does not require google. You should know all your basics of javascript and should be able to implement every new feature without hesitation.

If I could do it over, I would work faster, as the requirements of the second interview were iterative and it was unclear how much they expected you to accomplish within the time frame. The interviews both went well so hard to say what rubric they docked me on. Got the rejection email two days later with no feedback on why.

Interview Questions

• Code basic html/css/js component on coderpad   1 Answer