Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

A coding sample was sent to me to solve in HackerRank. I had an hour to complete it and you needed to satisfy 10 test cases. Not all are visible.

Interview Questions

• Koko loves to eat bananas. There are N piles of bananas, the i-th pile has piles[i] bananas. The guards have gone and will come back in H hours.

Koko can decide her bananas-per-hour eating speed of K. Each hour, she chooses some pile of bananas, and eats K bananas from that pile. If the pile has less than K bananas, she eats all of them instead, and won't eat any more bananas during this hour.

Koko likes to eat slowly, but still wants to finish eating all the bananas before the guards come back.

Return the minimum integer K such that she can eat all the bananas within H hours.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

After the university Hackerrank test, I received an email in about a week to do a 90-minutes phone interview. The questions were moderately tough compared to other FAANGULTAD interviews.

The first interview went well and I was able to come up with a working solution within the given timeframe. The interviewer seemed to be satisfied with the solution and I proceeded to the second round. The second interview didn't go as expected though. The interviewer was nice but was inexperienced at interviewing candidates. I usually try to brainstorm a few ideas, discuss my solutions with the interviewer, and pick the best solution and code it up. However, whenever I verbally expressed my thought process, the interviewer intervened and asked if this is the best and tried to nudge me down towards his way of thinking. I really appreciate that he was trying to help, but not everyone's thought process works the same. I could've ultimately arrived at the same optimized solution but because the interviewer kept interrupting throughout my initial brainstorming stage, my thoughts got tangled up and did not perform too well. I was able to get to a working solution, but I think the second interviewer was dissatisfied that I couldn't think in his way immediately. I think Airbnb should train interviewers better to get the most out of their candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

Met the recruiter during campus info session, applied online and then received an email for a hackerrank challenge. The challenge was pretty easy and I got into the technical interview round. It was two 45 min interview from back to back. The first one was a LeetCode hard question and the second one is medium/hard. Both interviewers were nice but they were reluctant to give hints, which made the problems even harder to solve. I did well on the first one but completely went to the wrong direction in the second one. Overall the interview is pretty hard.

Interview Questions

• Graph and list problem. No behavioral. Technical questions directly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Atlanta, GA) in October 2019.

Interview

good 1 good interviewer 1 bad. the interview was online video and was about finding the fastest route of flight, and the other was a string maze with lower case letters of keys, and upper case letters of doors, annd hashtags as walls

Interview Questions

• 2 hours 2 questions. 1: array with strings of airports find fastest way to destination. 2: 2d array of maze (strings) find fastest path.   2 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

Applied online. Coding Challenge given about 2 weeks after applying. Extremely hard question about trees with a timer for 1 hr. Would recommend a lot of practice beforehand and also somewhat based on luck because some of the challenges were easier than others. Mine was around LeetCode Medium - Hard difficulty. Rejected about 1 week after challenge.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

Extremely slow process, especially for how lightweight the interviews are, despite having a pressing competing offer deadline. Probably a lot of bureaucracy.
     - hackerrank
     - 2 back-to-back 45 min video technical interviews
     - 30 min cross-functional interview (behavioral with a non-engineering employee). This was a strange experience -- very very behavioral questions, it almost seemed like testing how much I could kiss up to the culture

Interview Questions

• trees and a design-ish question that you will have to write runnable code for. cross-functional: tell me about a time you had a good Airbnb experience, tell me about a time you experienced a good host experience in your life, what is one of your dreams and what have you been doing to achieve it, how do you make people feel like they belong   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

One coding challenge Leetcode Med-Hard. They there are 2 back to back interviews via coderpad video call. Then a culture fit. I didn't make it past the video coding interviews.

Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

Campus Recruiting Event - Recruiter reach out after the event - Phone Interview with a senior designer- Onsite with three other designers. Process was efficient, basically doing the interviews every other weeks.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2019.

Interview

It was the first-round phone interview. After a self-introduction, I was asked a research design question and the interview asked a lot of details on the design. But it was based on qualitative research though I am a quant person.

Interview Questions

• What are the three most important things about interviews/survey that you will teach in a research design class   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

Over a grueling three months:

1. Application
    2. Recruiter phone screen
    3. Straightforward, but time-consuming, data challenge to be completed within 72 hours. Strongly advisable to do this over a weekend and plan nothing else that weekend. Pass/fail results available 3 business days after your submission.
    4. Onsite interview with half a dozen 1:1s and a 45-minute presentation covering your data challenge as well as a past project of your choosing.
    5. Interminable waiting period
    6. Two followup interviews by video call
    7. Interminable waiting period
    8. Rejection email

Interview Questions

• What would happen if you were to include another X in your regression model?   Answer Question

See What Airbnb Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros: “- Compensation: pays more than any other tech company (Google, FB, etc) PLUS new cash bonus PLUS can choose to take your equity refreshers (no cliff) in cash. They also bump everyone to...”“- Compensation: pays more than any other tech company (Google, FB, etc) PLUS new cash bonus PLUS can choose to take your equity refreshers (no cliff) in cash. They also bump everyone to above midpoint of the range, which is really kind and close any gaps for pay equity. - Business is doing really well: we're profitable, have money to invest in employees + new ventures, never worried about money. Not even having a round of funding for this far out is amazing. - Great benefits. Free airbnb credits (never expire), lots of PTO and time off, easy parking lot next to the building (they reimburse the price), free lyft credits, top notch food program, etc. - Management is honest about their pitfalls and is honest about fixing it. I appreciate this because they could sweep it under the rug. - We're heavily invested in our infrastructure as a 2019 focus. Even hired a CTO who has decades of infrastructure heavy lifting under his belt. Sweet! - People are really kind and helpful. Fairly rare. There are always going to be politics because people befriend eachother, but honestly you can set up a meeting with a director and they will help you resolve easily. As long as you speak out, people will listen.” – Full Review