Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. I'm happy at my current job, but it sounded like a good opportunity, so I would give it a go. Had a phone screen, which involved a difficult coding challenge on coderpad.io. Required a full solution + test cases.

Later got the good news that I did well on the phone screen and the team wanted to proceed to the onsite. The campus in SF is quite nice, bright, open space, themed rooms. You're thinking "wow...is this place amazong...look actual beer/wine/kombucha on tap and fancy food treats everywhere." Then the interviews started. 2 coding, 2 cross functional, 1 experience, 1 architecture.

The coding problems are pretty typical stuff. Review graphs, DP, and standard algorithm approaches. Not telling you question, because I signed a NDA ,and it wouldn't help you anyways as they'll just have a different question of the week when you get your shot. You bring in your own laptop and code the solution in your own IDE, so that's different. Personally, I felt like it gave me an advantage and wish everyone else would do this as well. Coding problems were medium level, and I didn't have issues completing them.

Cross functional interviews were like standard behavioral questions, but you get a feeling that they're seeing if you really belong in their fraternity/cult, because the questions were just weird (i.e. what problem would you solve in the world today, what does it mean to you to belong anywhere). Whatever...they're looking for real koolaid drinkers.

Architecture will be some high level design that is as clear as mud and to test how you break it down and clarify questions.

Experience interview is where they basically have you talk about in technical details on a white board about how you solved a challenging problem in the past. I had a nagging suspicion that this is basically a brain rape session for them to get ideas from you on how to fix their own problems. So I would urge you that the NDA goes both ways at this point. Don't go giving away clever strategic advantages here. Personally, I think this loop is very bogus and shouldn't be done. Ask me high level details and what I learned and what I could have changed, but deep drill-down into solutions here made me question if I really should be telling them about how much I kicked butt in a previous project. Especially when the interviewer says afterwards "very interesting...we're looking at a similar problem on my team."

I got an answer 2 days later that I had strong "signals" across most interviews except for one. The one they mentioned surprised me as it was probably what I would call my better loop. Don't expect to get any kind of useful feedback. In the end, you're just left scratching your head, thinking "just what are they looking for, exactly?"

I don't think I'll consider re-applying. Weird experience.

Interview Questions

• What does it mean to be you belong anywhere. What large problems in the world would you solve today.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiters are really nice to all participants. No need to dress formal.
    Only group interviews, it consists of several participatory activities. In my case only a debate, but sometimes they do also a role play. They want you to speak up and participate! The best way to get noticed is to be active. They also show you how they work. You can sit beside a person who works already at air bnb, this person shows you how work will be.
    The whole process took approximately 3 hours.

Software Engineer PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got email response from HR after months. 1 technical phone screen. Got a reject in 1 week.

The part I hated the most is that the interviewer didn't give me anytime at the end for questions. He gave me a problem, we discussed quite a bit about the solution.. then he let me write the code for my solution.. it was 75% and then he pointed a mistake.. i explained how it can be resolved and asked him if I shall code that part.. He just said that we are past 45 mins.. Thank you.. and hung up!

Interview Questions

• There are 7 cities with a library in each. Everything got destroyed. We have to rebuild such that people at every city have access somehow to at least one library.   2 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview - 1 question on coding, No discussion on resume. Discussed the code and approach and then had to write on the editor. The interviewer was very helpful and guided along.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

1st Round: Phone Screen
    2nd Round: 2 Skype Technicals
    3rd Round: Culture Fit

If you look at most questions on glassdoor you should be fine. I didn't do well on the alien order question so did not make it to the 3rd and final round. Good luck! and practice practice practice!

Interview Questions

• Q: Palindrome pairs, best solution for them
      Q: Alien order of alphabet, also on glassdoor
      Q: Given an array of integers, print out a map of using said array; include a base layer (all stars)
      ex: [5,4,0,3,4,1]
      ******
      1 Answer

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First, I was referred to the recruiter, who was pretty straightforward about how the team works, and what could make for a great researcher.

I then had a 30-minute phone interview, which was a very friendly, laid-back experience. She asked me to tell her about myself and my background, to walk her through how I might conduct a research sprint in one week, and to describe a research lecture/class I might give at Airbnb.

A week or so later I found out I'd be coming in for an in-person interview. For this, I had to build a 45-minute presentation on my personal and professional journey, research skills/style, a couple of case studies, and why I wanted to work for Airbnb. I then had 6 1-on-1 interviews with a range of team members, including 2 culture interviews. I felt they went well, but wasn't ultimately offered a spot on the team as they felt I was too junior to fit the senior roles they'd envisioned (even though I was under the impression that specific roles were not how I was being evaluated), and they thought I would not enjoy getting into the weeds as much as the job requires.

Interview Questions

• Which research-related class might you teach to your Airbnb research colleagues? What's your specialty?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online then the recruiter set up a technical phone screening with an engineer there. I passed the first one so they scheduled another but I didn't pass the second one. The second engineer had a weirdly worded question so I believe I failed the interview based on the wording of the question. It was hard to understand what was being asked of me rather than the code complexity.

Interview Questions

• Given users with locations in a list and a logged in user with locations... find their travel buddies (people who shared more than half of your locations).   Answer Question
    • Given an array of integers, sort the array so that all odd indexes are greater than the even indexes.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly and helpful when answering questions. I believe the types of technical questions I was asked was relatively reflective of the kind of work I would've been doing at Airbnb. Typically prefer having a working solution that isn't necessarily optimal to a theoretically optimal solution that you have no time to code.

Interview Questions

• You're given a 3x3 board of a tile puzzle, with 8 tiles numbered 1 to 8, and an empty spot. You can move any tile adjacent to the empty spot, to the empty spot, creating an empty spot where the tile originally was. The goal is to find a series of moves that will solve the board, i.e. get [ [1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6], [7, 8, - ] ] where - is the empty tile.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

OK. I got call through referral and gave telephonic interview. The interviewer was late and call was very noisy and hard to understand, even after repeatedly saying it's hard to understand the interviewer continued the call and at the end the interview ended earlier.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The current internship interview process is comprised of two remote rounds, an initial round and an "onsite" round. Both consist of an online coderpad environment (which your solutions are expected to compile on). Initial round is one 45 minute call, while the "onsite" round is two 45 minute calls.

Personally, for me the first round went fine, however the second round was particularly challenging due to both the technical questions asked and technical difficulties on both parties (first interviewer was almost 10 minutes late and second interviewer had trouble connecting via Skype, resulting in the interview starting 20+ min later).

Interview Questions

• Round 1:
      Given a menu (list of items prices), find all possible combinations of items that sum a particular value K. (A variation of the typical 2sum/Nsum questions).

Round 2:
      Given a flight itinerary consisting of starting city, destination city, and ticket price (2d list) - find the optimal price flight path to get from start to destination. (A variation of Dynamic Programming Shortest Path)

Given a list of sorted words from an alien dictionary, find the order of the alphabet. (Alien Dictionary Topological Sort - https://discuss.leetcode.com/topic/22476/16-18-lines-python-30-lines-c)
      Answer Question