Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

2 round phone screen, 1st display search result with pagination, 2nd implement 2d iterator. Basically there is not much communication with interviewer, I just coding and explains the solution, and interviewer seems agree with everything.

Interview Questions

• interviewer asked me to implement 2d iterator   3 Answers

Facilities Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter was great and very professional, and made sure to stay in touch while she waited for the hiring manger to take next steps. The phone interview with the hiring manager was very frustrating. I could tell immediately he was not interested in me, so I am a bit confused why he even decided to hold an interview. He was short, and was very rushed to get off the phone. Waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Questions were generic interview questions. Nothing really stood out as difficult.   Answer Question

University Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen w/ Recruiter, invited on-site for following week. Met with 5 members of the team & 1 cross-functional interviewer from engineering. Had a great tour of their (beautiful) office. Each interview lasted ~30 mins and all focused on somewhat different topics of the position.

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioral questions & some curveballs thrown in there (to answer honestly) for culture fit, I assume   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Kicked off interview process with a call with their recruiter, then moved on to a phone interview with the hiring manager followed by two days of in-person interviews with hiring manager and their team. Throughout the process, I was kept informed by the recruiter on who I'd be interviewing and the overall hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Hiring Manager: Asked for examples of how I've worked with senior management on large projects as well as multiple internal teams.   Answer Question
    • Hiring Manager: Asked how I typically managed my day.   Answer Question
    • Hiring Manager: Asked me what my strengths and weakness were.   Answer Question
    • Direct Report: Asked me what Airbnb meant to me personally.   Answer Question
    • Recruiter: Ultimately asked me for my salary range.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I'm pretty disappointed with the interview process.

I had a call with the recruiter, then a technical screening which went well and allowed me to come onsite directly. The onsite consisted of 5 rounds and a lunch. 2 rounds were technical coding exercises. 2 were behavioral. 1 was system design where you can gloat about a previous project. I am disappointed about how unrealistic the time crunch is when conducting the technical coding exercises. Both of my questions required 2 pages of explanations. Since I was given only 45 minutes time to complete, and 15 minutes was literally the interviewer explaining the question to me (they insisted that this was the best approach), I was given 30 minutes to complete the problem.

The amount of edge cases from these problems were unrealistic to cover in just 30 minutes. So if you can code crazy fast, I would recommend that you do so and politely tell the interviewer to not talk. The interviewer just wants working code, so don't try to chit-chat with him/her.

The behavioral rounds are easy. Just drink that cool aid and you'll be fine.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2017.

Interview

Your thought process or partial solution counts zero. If you can't solve the problem, you will not receive an offer. Programming questions are tough so make sure to be prepared answering non-standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a string ip and number n, print all cidr addresses that cover that range - This is one of the problems that is out of left field.   Answer Question
    • Design a internationalization service   Answer Question
    • Questions from Leetcode and Glassdoor   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me with a very nice email. 1st technical phone screen was not hard, 45 min I finished in 33min or so. They use CoderPad, need the code to be compilable and fully working. They skipped 2nd phone screen for me, invited me to onsite directly. Free lunch. Onsite still 45 min each for coding sessions, and 30 min each for non-coding sessions mostly. I ran out of time for the coding sessions, didn't make them fully working. Got rejected after two days. Suggest should prepare/practice more for making the coding fully working within the 45 time window before coming for Onsite. The recruiting team were very professional, friendly, helpful, responsive, and welcoming throughout the entire process, especially the initial recruiter. My suggestion to the recruiting team is better to arrange one or two 10 min breaks between the onsite sessions. No offer, but good experience.

Interview Questions

• Tree related, and others. Need write fully working compilable code. Can't say much, coz of NDA.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via email. We scheduled a phone interview for the following week. The interview used CoderPad. My interviewer went straight to the question as soon as he called. He also wasn't very helpful in nudging me along when I got stuck. Overall, the interview felt a bit cold compared to some of the other unicorns I've interviewed with. Later in the day, my recruiter called to let me know they wouldn't be moving forward with my candidacy.

Infrastructure Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2017.

Interview

Messy. The process started out with an AirBnb recruiter reaching out to me. I agreed to an interview and was scheduled the following week. Come time to start the interview, I never got a call. I went back to check if the my number was right or not, and it sure was. I emailed back to inquire what happened, only to find out the recruiter transferred/quit/fired(?) Luckily, the second recruiter got things back on track. After a couple more emails, I find that the second recruiter would transfer me to a third HR person!?! I had to wait another couple of days to find out the interview was scheduled a second time. During this back and forth, I explained that I was looking for a SRE/DevOps position, but they still wanted to test coding skills. Fine, fine.

Come interview time, I was asked the palindrome question. After the general introduction, and Q/A regarding the problem, I had 30 minutes left to code. While I don't code day to day, I know my way around. I begin to construct the brute force solution as agreed upon. After completing and passing all test cases provided, I thanked the interviewer and hung up.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Smooth interview process, airbnb recruiter was super nice and helped me through the process.

1. Quick chat with the recruiter about the role and the process
    2. Technical phone interview
    3. Onsite with 2 FE, 1 CS, 1 Experience & 2 Cultural fit interviews
        - FE: fun FE mini projects on codepen with the choice of your framework (I used React)
        - CS: leetcode medium difficulty question
        - Experience: chance to really dig into a past project & what would I build in Airbnb
        - Cultural fit: chat about my values, interests and personality

Although I didnt get an offer (one of my FE interview was all right) overall it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Most of the technical question types are already posted here - they are pretty standard interview questions. Recruiter helps to prep for the Experience & Cultural fit interviews.   2 Answers