Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

They offer you either phone interview or online test. would recommend online test and cheat as the level of questions is freaking hard. If you go for phone interview, the phone interview is gonna be harder as the level of questions is too high

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Best interviewing process every. One screening call with a recruiter, two technical phone interviews, followed by an on-site interview where you have six interviewing sessions. The on-site interview includes two coding exercises, with an additional architectural design process. In the end, I really appreciated how friendly and genuine everyone was.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

If it weren't for Glassdoor, I may not have gotten this position, so I feel obligated to write about my experience. Here goes -

My interview experience with Airbnb was overall a very smooth, albeit drawn-out, process. The reason it was so long was because there were 5 interviews and I selected to have a week's time between each one for personal reasons. My recruiter was so nice and so accommodating, so there were no problems at all with scheduling. There were two technical phone interviews, two technical Skype interviews, and one non-technical Skype interview.

The two phone interviews were probably my least favorite part of the interview process. Like many of the other software engineering interviewees for Airbnb on Glassdoor have said, my interviewers for this part of the process both had thick accents and were quite difficult to understand. Despite this, I nailed my first interview. I struggled a bit on the second interview (I needed a lot of help from the interviewer and it took the entire length of the call), but I eventually got a working solution and the interviewer seemed satisfied. It seems to me that for this part of the interview process, you will need a working solution that compiles and runs to move forward.

The two technical Skype interviews were a much more pleasant experience. Both of the interviewers were very easy to understand and incredibly helpful in both guiding me through the problem and answering all the questions I had about Airbnb. Again, I nailed the first interview and struggled on the second one. In fact, I didn't even manage to do any coding in the second interview at all. The question was very difficult and I had never seen anything like it during my interview prep. All I had time to do during the interview was type out a pseudo-code solution. Admittedly, I believe that the solution was a good one. Regardless, I was moved forward again after these interviews, so it's possible to move forward even if you don't have a coded solution to the problem that compiles and runs. The interviewer just wants to hear your thought process. In my case, it helped that I did so well on the first interview in this section.

The non-technical Skype interview was actually pretty fun, so it's nothing to worry about. Just be yourself.

About one week after the last interview I received my official offer.

Interview Questions

• Three out of four technical questions were questions you can find on Glassdoor for Airbnb software engineer interviews.   Answer Question
    • Given an IPv4 IP address p and an integer n, return a list of CIDR strings that most succinctly represents the range of IP addresses from p to (p + n).   1 Answer
    • From non-technical interview: If you had an unlimited budget and you could buy one gift for one person, what would you by and who would you buy it for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

They just want the code to be running with no error.
    They don't care about the thinking process at all.
    The interviewer seems to be reading the introduction part from somewhere, very unfriendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

First - phone interview
    Second - Skype Interview

The first interview went really well. The interviewer was super nice and very patient. We went through one question together and I asked him a lot of questions at the end. I ended the interview a little early because he said he had nothing else left to ask.
    The second interview was awful. The interviewer was still nice but the interview itself was in my opinion very bad. He asked me a question on something I was not familiar with at all. He had to teach me the concept in ~20-25 min of the interview and had me do a problem on that topic (it was networks related concept which I wasn't familiar with). The interview took way longer than planned (60 min) because he had to explain the concept and the example input/output to me since I was unfamiliar with the topic. I didn't think the question was a good evaluation of my skill. I would assume that they are testing my algorithm and basic cs fundamental knowledge. If the interviewer had to explain a new concept to me and had me do a problem on it, it's not a good evaluation of my algorithm and cs skill. It was more of testing how good I am at grasping new knowledge under time pressure and interview pressure. I didn't feel like it was a good representation of my technical skill at all. I've had many interviews so far and this is by far the worst one in my opinion. I got rejected two days later and the reason was (of course) my technical skill wasn't good enough. I feel like the interview was poorly conducted and did not allow me to show my coding skill.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (Berkeley, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got a phone interview through employee referral and it was pretty standard. It was a bummer I didn't get a second phone call although I thought I did pretty well. I guess they are also cutting budget to hire interns.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I phone interviewed two round and the experience is nice and quick. The first round is a man how seem don't care about my code. The second women is nice and kind. But I could not figure out the solution.

Interview Questions

• Some question related to IP filter and check using bit manipulation   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2016.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me and the process was pretty quick. I had an initial technical phone screen followed by onsite interviews. As mentioned in other reviews, they expect fully functioning code with no errors. So be well prepared. Also, they stress a lot on culture. It would be helpful to go through some of their blogs.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First, there is one technical phone screen. Then, there are three technical Skype interviews, in my case two were for mobile and one was general. Finally, there is one cross-functional interview. All in all, it was a fantastic interview process. My recruiter was very attentive throughout the entire process and the interviewers were great.

Interview Questions

• Technical challenges that tested my knowledge of iOS;.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Phone screening round started with general introduction and then I was given the programming question. Overall good experience. The interviewer was nice, and helpful along the way. However, I felt the question was slightly advanced, and took more time than allotted especially if you are doing the question for the first time.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a program to check a string is a palindrome.
      2. Given a list of words, find the word pairs that when concatenated form a palindrome.   1 Answer