Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied through a referral about a month ago for a product design position and was for some reason put on the senior product designer tract. I thought that was a testament to my work and a vote of confidence!

I had two 45 minute phone conversations with two separate people over the span of about 2 weeks.

I was then asked to do a design exercise which took me about 15 hours to complete. A lot of time considering I still had a job at the time, but I was excited about the job prospect so I went with it. All feedback was positive and the phone conversations were interesting and went really well.

I then was called and went into a 5 hour in-office interview about a week or so later and sat in a waiting room for 45 minutes while my time ticked away. The interview started about 30 minutes late because the meeting room scheduled for my portfolio presentation was double booked, meaning I was unable to properly present my work and had to crunch an hour long presentation that I was specifically requested to create for that interview into 30 minutes. That presentation took me probably 5 or 6 hours to pull together. Then no one could figure out how to hook my computer up to the presentation screen, so for the majority of what was left of my time, I tried to present from my laptop screen while my audience intermittently looked up at me while trying to figure out why Airplay wasn't working. They were encouraging but I felt like I still had a lot to say about my work and was nervous that the opportunity was botched, though they reassured me.

I then had a handful of 30 minute culture interviews and a casual lunch where my work basically wasn't discussed at all, it was mostly touchy feely culture questions about my thoughts on life, process, Oprah, etc. Every interviewer except one said things like "wow that's a great answer" more than once, and some frankly spent a lot of time talking to me rather than listening.

After almost 40 hours of time dumped into the process, a lot of stress and waiting (they were a day later than they said they would be with the response and I had to wait over the weekend) I wasn't offered a position because I didn't have enough experience for the role they were looking for and got the "maybe in 6 months to a year" brush off from them. All told it was a very time consuming and oddly personal experience that I feel like could have been avoided because they knew how many years of experience I had simply by looking at my resume. I'm also not sure why they suggested I apply for a senior position rather than just telling me there was nothing for me at that time.

Advice for anyone applying: be skeptical of any positive feedback you receive from them. They "host" your interview and want you to feel welcome, but are very critical, and honestly not super respectful of your time. Also if you apply, be ready to dump basically a weeks worth of productivity into the process for potentially no gain.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your sense of hospitality?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Have had two interactions with two separate recruiters, six months apart. Neither could be bothered to call me within half an hour of the scheduled time, or cancel, or reschedule, on multiple calls, which makes it very hard to fit an interview into a busy day. Be prepared to waste time sitting by the phone if you want the privilege of interviewing here. Also, if you are job searching while still employed, be prepared to get calls an hour or two later, after your lunch break you scheduled the call for has ended.

Interview Questions

• When can you be available for to wait for a call indefinitely?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

An engineer called me and gave me a fairly elaborate problem to work through on a shared coding document. Although I was able to solve it, I definitely struggled. However, he was certainly helpful and willing to answer any questions I had, about the coding question and the company itself. I'm sure someone with more advanced skills could succeed with this process. The recruiter I worked with was extremely nice and efficient/quick to reply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I got a phone call interview and had to answer questions about experience and topics relevant to the job position. I had to answer questions about SQL and python. The interviewer asked about former work experience and relevant academic experience. I don’t think that I did very well and I did not get the job.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2016.

Interview

- Recruiter at a career fair
    - Phone screen with an engineer, after a quick recruiting call
    - Engineer was kind of unhelpful, it was on the phone but on a shared codepad, difficult question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

My recruiter was great and was very transparent about the process. I had a recruiter screening via phone, excel take home test, hiring manager phone interview, full onsite with 6.5 interviews scheduled though one could not make it so it became a phone interview the week after.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in September 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very friendly and prompt with their reply. Scheduled the phone interview and the interviewer was very helpful and patient too. He made sure I understood the question and gave me extra time too.

Interview Questions

• Given Array of Arrays sort them in ascending order.   1 Answer

Trust and Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

First comes with HR phone screen interview, and then next round of hiring manager skype interview.
    A sincere suggestion to everyone, please do expect skype interview would be a video call. I was not expecting that and HR did not tell me it should be a video call. When I was asked to turn on my camera by the hiring manager, I was unprepared. The first interview I did with HR was just voice skype call.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience in dealing with external vendors? How do you evaluate their performance?   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started with a phone interview, then three onsite interviews (one must have been more of a sell interview). They were doing a hiring push in recruiting at the time. The experience was overall a positive one minus some hiccups. They were patient about start date and offered a good benefit package and salary.

Interview Questions

• If Airbnb were to die tomorrow, what would you write on its tombstone?   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb in August 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, then 2 more and then supposedly onsite, but didn't make it onsite. The questions were decently challenging, but if didn't gel well with the engineers so shaky experience. All were done through CoderPad. The latter 2 were Skype calls with a coder pad. 45 minutes each, not really a focus on getting to know what each engineer does, but could just be the style of the engineer

Interview Questions

• Based on the xkcd comic about NP-completeness, can you find all of the possible combinations of appetizers that add up to a certain price amount?   3 Answers