Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Airbnb in August 2016.

Interview

I applied to new grad position in August on their site and heard back from HR after 5 days. The HR was very prompt in replying and scheduling technical phone interview. I was asked a moderate question on integers and hashmap but the interviewer's accent made it very difficult to answer his questions. I started off telling him the implementation and solution of the problem and later he told me that he wanted me to implement hasNext(), next() and remove() function of Iterator class. His statements were very ambigious and unclear. After the coding part, when I was told to "explain testcases". I started off listing all the possible testcases for the problem. Another bummer, he wanted me to trace and run through the code with an example testcase. I don't think I will get through this round but it would be great to have someone with a clear accent as interviewer specially for telephonic interview.
    I will definitely try again for Airbnb.

Interview Questions

• ArrayLists, HashMap, Iterator   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb in August 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me soon after I submitted my application online, saying I can set up a time to do a phone screen, the tech interviewer is so nice, when I was reading some reviews here I thought the interviewers are gonna be super scary and not gonna talk at all during the interview, but mine was not, he asked my about my thinking process, he gave me helpful hints and he provided me with rewarding feedback. I had a really really good time coding with him. Then HR told me since of the authorization stuff, my citizenship stuff, then they will not be able to continue my candidancy, It's a little bit sad because I stated my future requirement for work sponsorship in the original application but they still spent such a long time interviewing me until telling me I cannot move forward not because of my skills but because of something I cannot improve at all. However, I am glad they gave me this chance, other than this sad result I had a great time. (my recruiter is super super nice, she is super polite)

Online Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Very quick process, though only made it thru second round. Communicated directly with HR, who also coached for the next round of interviews about what to expect. Everyone was very casual and friendly.

Interview Questions

• If you have an engineering team to support your work, how would you use them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The Interview process was pretty clear from the beginning:

-1 phone screen
    -2 Skype Interviews
    -Onsite

I thought that the questions were pretty standard, but I definitely had the same concerns as other people. It was difficult to understand what my interviewer was saying at times. For the interviews, just practice medium-hard questions on leetcode and you should be fine. I didn't make it to the on-site round, which I found surprising. I had made it to on-sites of a few other tech companies in the bay, so I thought I'd have a good chance at Airbnb. It was my top choice, but unfortunately, I didn't get the job!

Interview Questions

• Iterator for vector, text justify, palindrome print out problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty fast. The HR was the typical HR you would see at a top tech company. They spent a lot of time providing great info about the company and answering questions. The interviewer I had was a young new grad. The questions were all clearly defined. You are told how exactly much time you have to solve the problem and can use an IDE. I bet that you get evaluated based on how much you use the IDE though.

Interview Questions

• 1. Check if two strings are palindromes.
      2. Make a function that does this for lists of strings
      3. Implement a hash function for this instead of brute force.   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (Tampa, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed in August of 2016 so ive been with the company roughly a year. I work in the states. I believe the site I work at has since changed the interview process.

I was interviewed twice and came in for a written grammatical/typing test. Based on my performance I was offered a position with airbnb. They had maybe 12 of us sit around in a circle and they gave various scenarios that might occur during a trip. (Typically if they're "hosted" they require mediation between the host and guest)
    They did not hire two of the twelve(ish) people present and I remember thinking that their performance was fine leaving me curious as to why they were not hired. Its a very particular company that supports a sense of belonging so even in the office I work in, theyre are virtually no people that subscribe to right-wing ideology of any kind, I noticed that right away. Its the opposite of that old song. ONLY long haired freaky people should apply. (Sic)

All in all, the interview was difficult, but I never felt judged on basic metrics. They speak to you, try to ascertain your mindset and problem solving abilities. So, even if your not a fast typer, or good with payment breakdowns, if you have compassion, they ll consider you more valuable because things of that nature are inate, and the rest can be taught later. Walk in there like you care, and that you support the mission. Youll be hired...

Interview Questions

• My scenerio was: what would you do if a guest contacts us and found a bunch of adult toys in the closet in which theyre supposed to store theyre stuff? Scenarios like that, they want to see how we would mediate it. When there is no policy violation on either end, we have to mediate the situation   1 Answer
    • Typing speed. Trip emails are not typically "form" emails. All hand typed for the most part.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Airbnb in July 2016.

Interview

10 mins of experience talk. Followed by a technical interview. The algorithm question was a bit tough for a 40 min interview. I mean the company expects bots to code versus humans.
    Given a dictionary of words validate if an input word is valid. The dictionary defines the order of precedence.
    Also I understand the culture in the company is more international but it was really hard to understand the interviewer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process at Airbnb is the best I've ever seen. The recruiter spent a lot of time providing great info about the company and answering questions (way more than the usual 5-10 minutes that recruiters from other companies spend). The interviewers were all very friendly. The questions were all clearly defined. You are told how exactly much time you have to solve the problem and can use an IDE to compile and test your code. I am not aware of any other company that does all this . It was an awesome interview experience.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Not really happy with the process. Even after writing complete working code, got a rejection because of the way output was displayed. Instead of System.out.println(x + "," + y); I was displaying System.out.println(y + "," + x); Also, I felt very in-experienced and cold interviewer.

Very very high bar for bug-free coding, I haven't seen it anywhere else so far in my career.
    Be ready to write complete bug-free working code, without wasting too much time in thinking.

Overall, I felt not well refined interview process. Airbnb definitely needs improvement in this area, have folks well trained in taking the interviews. Interviewer need to be told to be more cooperative in making candidates successful and rejecting on just one or two bugs might not be a good idea.

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in July 2016.

Interview

Had two coding challenges over the phone, on two different days. After the first did well enough to move onto the second. Felt I smoked the second one with a very efficient solution that was correctly working. Was then told I didn't have enough experience for the position. That's perfectly fine and I'm not upset about that. However, I'm giving this a negative rating because they didn't need to waste my time on the coding questions in that case- they already had my resume.

Interview Questions

• Coding question in a language of my choice   1 Answer