Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for the iOS engineer position. Started with a simple phone conversation. Followed by a technical interview performed over the phone. This was followed by a technical interview on-site. Amazing experience overall, and they really kept to their mantra of hospitality throughout. Very impressive.

Interview Questions

• How to create a collectionView within the cells of a tableView programmatically   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied through a referral and was contacted shortly after by a recruiter. I'm on the East Coast, so I did a phone screen and my final round through Skype. I wanted to expedite the process because I had another offer, and they were incredibly accommodating. They asked really thoughtful questions so that they could see if I would fit in on the team, and the recruiters were incredibly helpful. After my phone screen and before my final round, I talked with a recruiter about what to expect going forward in the interviewing process, which was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite gift you've given someone?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

Two phone screens and an onsite consisting of 3 technical and 2 non-technical interviews.

I heard some very positive reviews about their culture and office space. Let me be very blunt here. The recruiting co-ordinator was 'super lazy' and was spewing negative vibes. Every question I had was answered with either a yes/no. She showed the office around and my honest impression was that it was a 'ZOO'. I understand the significance of decorating the office space to reflect your company culture. But common guys, artificial trees and stuffed animals in restrooms? You must be kidding me.

Interviewers would walk in into the interview room (or so it was called), introduce themselves (2-3 min), ask for my introduction (2-3 min) and some banter about airbnb(3-4 min). They would start off with explaining the coding question and all the constraints they need the solution to satisfy (5 min). Now you would be left with 25-30 minutes to actually get a working solution. (You would need to be a ninja who had seen the question to clear this).

My interview room was decorated after some travel items and some music items. Interview room had 3 small foldable wooden chairs which were ALWAYS creaking. My first interviewer sat on one of those chairs and immediately stood up wondering when that would collapse. This, my friends, was airbnb revelling in its own culture. Half the conference rooms had benches and crude furniture. I am certainly glad that they did not switch the standard ergonomic furniture with their themed half-torn, dusty versions and claim that their office was better reflecting their culture.

The non-technical-interviews were a disaster in their own making. I was asked about what drew me to airbnb and what weird qualities I possessed to qualify for working at that zoo.

Right after the second interview, I made up my mind that this was not the place I wanted to work at (no matter how crazy their valuations were). The subsequent interviews only reinforced my decision.

Tip: Try using a terser language for their coding solutions. I was using Java and by the time I created their input of List<List<List<CustomObject>>> half my interview time was over.

Interview Questions

• Optimized Boggle, Merge Intervals with some cap

Questions were more difficult than leetcode hard questions. As the other interviews note, your thinking process counts zero. All they are interested is in working code. The interviewers were friendly but they made no attempt in understanding the code.   1 Answer

MBA Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Very thorough - went through a phone screen and four video calls: 1 with each key member of the team I'd be working with, and 1 with a member of another team to gauge cultural fit. Interview questions with team members were very straightforward and focused on my background and what I'd bring to the team. Cultural fit interview was trickier because it was so unpredictable (but nothing weird like how many marbles can you fit into a Pruis). The conversation was a little more personal, and we talked about personal experiences, passions, fears, etc, not at all about my resume or professional background. In fact, I don't think the team member even had my resume in front of her. This just goes to show how seriously Airbnb takes cultural fit. If you can show that you appreciate collaborating with good people, have a sense of community, and care to improve the world in a way that's very open, sincere and honest, they will notice.

Interview Questions

• (Cultural Fit) What is something nice you would want to do for someone, and why?   1 Answer
    • (Cultural Fit) What is next on your bucket list?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

After a quick recruiter screen, I was given a time for an online code test via a phone call and CodePen-type system. The question was not in my language of choice and was irrelevant to the job I applied for. I explained this within the first few minutes, and they were very apologetic and said they'd reschedule.

I didn't hear anything for a week, and then they rescheduled for a more general interview. However, it ended up being the same thing, just in a different language. The interviewer was on mute the whole time, so it was difficult to get any feedback on the direction I was taking. I suggested one solution to the problem, and was told that it was not acceptable – because they wanted me to solve it a different way.

A few more days passed, and I was told my skills weren't at the level they require. Overall, I found the process a little opaque and definitely geared towards people that had computer science degrees and could solve algorithmic problems.

Interview Questions

• General algorithmic questions involving number sequences.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2016.

Interview

Had technical phone interview. Didn't understand most of the time,because of interviewer's accent. Question was relatively easy comparing with others,but I spent time to figure out what interviewer was saying.

Interview Questions

• public static int getInput(String badEncStr) {
       //TODO:

}

/** return an int if testEncStr is a valid capitalization, else return -1 */
      private static int decode(String testEncStr) {

if (testEncStr.equals("nJKeY")) {
              System.out.println("pass: ");

return 848662;
          }else {
              System.out.println("fail: ");

return -1;
          }   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2016.

Interview

4 interviews. Very transparent. The whole process took about a month from the initial contact. I applied through a recruiter and they were very helpful throughout. My interviewers were completely different. On one hand I had a new grad who understood the struggle of applying to such a successful start up. And on the other hand I had an engineer who left a luxurious job at google to grill me on HashMaps.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Got a mail for scheduling a phone interview. It was a telephonic interview of 30 minutes which involved coding. The interviewer went straight to the question about sorting a CSV array

Interview Questions

• Given a CSV array containing 3 properties, sort the array by 1 property and make sure that the other property is not repeated   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews. First one was phone screen, then onsite with hiring manager, then another onsite with 5-10 different people. They asked technical questions, and nontechnical cultural fit questions. They're very big on culture here, and are looking for unique people with unique backgrounds

Interview Questions

• If you could describe yourself in 1 word, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Community Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Interviewed by a community organizer and then his manager. The interview was easy. The whole process took so long that I lost interest. I eventually took another job because I just needed to work.
    It seems like they are really busy and you don't feel like you matter to them.

Interview Questions

• What is one weakness and how did you overcome it?   1 Answer