Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Trust &Amp; Safety Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

A Hiring Meetup proved to be a phenomenal experience with 15+ other candidates and 5 or so staff. Food and snacks were provided. We all introduced ourselves and share 1) A memorable Airbnb experience 2) A interesting fact about ourselves. We then split up into groups and 1) Responded to scenarios to see how we would respond, and 2) Did a survival exercise. We then filled out availability forms and did a one on one interview with a current team member.

Interview Questions

• You and your group are stuck on a raft. There is a list of 15 or so items available, you must choose 5.   Answer Question

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was referred in by a friend and had a phone interview within a week. Invited into the office for an interview and met with 5 different people... total 3 hours. I didn't make it to the second round, but was told there are three... the third being a culture-fit assessment.

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

Multi-step interviews start with an online and written process, include a large and interactive group stage, and video chats with employees. Group interviews were done with employees and encouraged applicants to interact with each other and show proficiency in Airbnb values rather than policy awareness.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions that illustrate ability to solve problems, Be creative, thrive in gray areas.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

One overview call with talent recruiter.
    Two technical phone screens with a shared notepad.
    Once successful, visit to the office for 1/2 day (did not get this far).
    Folks were pretty awesome on the phone, definitely no complains about the process.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm questions with solutions based on recursion and dynamic programming. Data structures and Run time performance were taken into consideration.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received a link to fill submit some video interviews and short answers a little over 2 weeks later. I was given a week to complete it, so I spent a lot of time writing, prepping, and recording the answers. Questions were standard behavioral interview questions with a few that required some thinking outside the box. After submitting the videos and short answers at the end of the week, I received a canned email the beginning of the following week stating that they decided not to move forward with the application. At no point did I have the opportunity to interact with or get in contact with an actual person, and I do feel that a phone interview along with written exercises would be much more helpful in getting a feel for an applicant instead of recorded video responses. I would love to work at Airbnb but definitely did not feel valued as an applicant.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little about yourself. What should we know that isn't on your resume?   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a specific time at work where you had multiple, competing priorities and you had to figure out what to do. How did you proceed?   1 Answer
    • Imagining that you had unlimited resources, what would you do at a new university in order to 1. connect with the best CS students and 2. build brand awareness on behalf of Airbnb?   Answer Question

Community Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1-2 rounds with peers on the team, then with direct hiring manager. All questions and conversations pertain to job related duties and previous experiences that can speak about your likelihood to perform well while on the job.

Then one last 'cross-functional' interview, with a non-team member who's been part of the company for an extensive period of time, which evaluates how you'd do in the company culture vs. on the job itself. Otherwise known as the 'core values' interview which is the final evaluation one must clear before being granted a formal offer.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you had to get buy in from the group and how did you go about that?   1 Answer

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter reached out to schedule an interview. He asked me to go through my background which I had started to do when literally a bunch of people start singing "happy birthday" so loudly we can't continue to talk for about 2 minutes. Then once the singing has ended he asks me if I'm done going through my resume- which literally I had talked for about 30 seconds before the spontaneous song broke out- and he tells me that I'm not right for the role but that I could be a good fit for another role and would follow up. Seriously?? You couldn't even grab a conference room for a phone interview? Didn't allow any questions and just hung up on me. He did finally follow up and said that I wasn't right for that second role.

Throughout the conversation I had and email exchanges, outside of this horrendous process, I want to make clear that the level of arrogance and exclusion in the tone of this individual was outrageous. Did I mention that this was the Head of Talent Acquisition by the way? Insane!

I was so excited about AirBnB as a product and company and had so much relevant experience, it's a shame that this man who leads recruitment made it such a disrespectful, negative experience. I will never seek employment here nor am I an AirBnB customer as a result. If that's who they want representing their company and assessing the talent to come in and build upon the company's greatness (truly what else is more critical to a fast growing startup??), then there's something seriously wrong there...

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview. First ask me to introduce my working and project experience. I talked about my university majors, the projects that I worked with, the achievements during the work days.Then I have about 40 minutes to write code, to solve a problem. The question is as follow. Return the coins combination with the minimum number of coins.Time complexity O(MN), where M is the target value and N is the number of distinct coins. Space complexity O(M).

Interview Questions

• Return the coins combination with the minimum number of coins.Time complexity O(MN), where M is the target value and N is the number of distinct coins. Space complexity O(M).   4 Answers

Photo Reviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was an introduction via email. Then a skype call interview with potential co-workers. Then, I had an in-person interview with management, where we talked about a fit within the company (both work and cultural). Once I got the email confirming their interest, we went through salary negotiation.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with editing for photographers?   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A multi-stage process with incredibly warm and welcoming employees at every step. The initial phone interview with a recruiter was a breeze. It seemed like more of a cultural litmus test than anything else. The conversation focused mainly on passions and pastimes, with a bit of technical probing in between. Three rounds of on-site interviews followed, each with 3-5 interviews over a span of 4 hours. While the overall vibe was calm and casual, the questions were challenging and insightful. The room everything took place in was amazing- like the interior of a rustic mountain cabin. Lots food and drinks in between!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They came through with a solid offer and no negotiation was needed.