Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The process took almost 6 weeks from start to finish. The recruiter was professional, friendly and helpful. After an initial phone screening, the team reviewed my portfolio, then gave me a design challenge. A senior designer reviewed my challenge, and we had a 1 hour phone conversation. Then I proceeded to the last and final round of an in-person interview which opened with case study presentation and moved into one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you design this application for android?   1 Answer

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of coming in for several rounds with cross-functional colleagues that the position would support.

The team I met with and the recruiters were are very professional and considerate. It is abundantly clear to me that Airbnb is a great place to work. I would recommend them as an employer to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Questions were designed to gauge my skill level and personal style.   Answer Question

User Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I initially got contacted by a recruiter looking to hire for a new position similar to user research. I had two phone screens and one in-person interview, and there was a long period of not hearing back except to let me know they weren't sure which department the position would be best suited in. Finally, they decided to not hire for that position but wanted to interview me and see if I could fit in the UX team. I had another phone screening with someone from UX who hadn't seen my resume and didn't know about the recruiter or any of my previous interviews. Went away feeling like this was unprofessional, and that they struggle hiring someone with an unconventional background.

Employee Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

A lot of interviews. All conducted by amazing people. Super in depth, make sure you prepare. They want to know you are qualified for the job and will get along with the company culture.

Interview Questions

• What's that toy soldier behind you? (it was on skype)   1 Answer

Head of Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online, and received an email from the recruiter within a couple of days. We set up an initial phone interview, and it lasted about 30 minutes. The recruiter was going to discuss my background with the hiring manager and following up with next steps. The recruiter did follow up within a week to say they decided to go with another candidate, but we agreed to stay in touch Overall it was a good, professional experience.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in Airbnb? Give an example of a project related to the role that I'm proud of. Pretty normal stuff.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Their whole process is really big on live speed coding, it doesn't matter how strong your experience is don't bother unless you've spent time practicing on topcoder.

I skipped the online speed coding portion and moved straight to interviews. Because they had to break my interviews up over several days, I got actual feedback part way through. Killed all my past experience interviews (half a million lines of code to choose from), but they weren't happy with the speed of the speed coding, apparently.

There's also an clear age bias, the projects (and their whole "youthful enthusiasm" culture stuff), and a head count around the office makes that pretty clear. Lots of Koolaid.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you've been a good host.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

This was one bad experience. I have interviewed at many places- big and small companies and experience at AirBnb is easily the worst. I applied online and HR called to schedule a phone interview. We went back and forth and they could not interview on the dates I had provided. I was going to be in SF for something else the next week and they suggested that I come onsite directly for onsite interviews as the phone interview dates were not working out. So I extended my stay (my own expenses as I am not a local candidate) and got ready for onsite interviews. When I went there, and asked for the agenda - the HR tells me - that its going to be just 1 interview - similar to a phone interview except that its going to be in person. I was shocked. I showed them the email where they confirmed me for onsite and they simply stated it was a communication mishap. This costed me heavily in terms of time and money. The HR seemed very careless and inefficient.

As for the interview, the interviewer asked me a Dynamic Programming question (hard one) and said - he didn't care how I implemented it but just wanted a working code in 30 mins. I tried and was very close to the solution. I had a minor bug in the base case of my recursion. The interviewer just stood up at the 30 min mark and left abruptly. I came out and quickly tried the solution in my laptop. I was able to complete it and get it working in another 5 mins. But from the looks of it, there is no credit for implementation idea, thought process or any such thing.

Overall, very negative experience.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A few days later after submitting my resume and cv, I was invited for the phone interview with the recruiter. The interview was nice and friendly. I wasn't offered the job though.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions: self-introduction, previous experience, why customer experience specialist at airbnb   Answer Question

Community Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

They Couldn't make a decision for almost four weeks after the interview, took a long time to get answers, no updates, no clear instructions on what to submit, generally I felt left in the unclear and not provided with enough information

Head of Global Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter. I was invited in for in-person interviews and then asked to complete two writing assignments to demonstrate my communications skills -- given two scenarios, provide an overview of your approach and communications plan. Was invited in for another round of interviews with more members of the team. Invited for a third round, which included "core values interviews" with people outside the team to determine culture fit. Overall a positive experience, though almost too positive -- I received such good feedback all along that I was surprised when an offer wasn't extended.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style?

Have you tried Airbnb? Tell me about the experience.

Would you be an Airbnb host?

What’s something you’re proud of?

What does it mean to be a host?

As a leader, how would you be a host to your team?

If you could have an hour on stage in front of the company to teach everyone something, what would you teach them?

Why are you interested in Airbnb?   Answer Question

See What Airbnb Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Operations Leader in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros: “- if you love traveling, learning on your own and having flexibility and an amazing food program you'll love that. - The environment, overall, is very good and it really feels like...”“- if you love traveling, learning on your own and having flexibility and an amazing food program you'll love that. - The environment, overall, is very good and it really feels like a friendly space you want to go to, every day, at least during your 1st year. - A good place to learn and further develop extra skills since you'll have role-related responsibilities but you'll also take on projects more linked to Program management, relationship management etc. If you are someone who can work independently and does not get affected by other people's opinions or take things personally, you'll be great there! it is a very good place to work. - The travel benefits, parties, food program and opportunities to impact change within the organization are great. Since it is a flat organization creating structure now, there is a lot going on where employees have a voice. - Flexibility, Work from home and very understanding leaders, in some departments. - I personally see the founders as truly inspiring people. Honestly, I do really believe in them. I do share their vision which helps to continue to work hard. They are really committed to what they do and they have a huge sense of humanity.” – Full Review