Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Everyone was extremely welcoming. The process was far less formal than other places I had been interviewing which allowed me to really be myself. I found myself actually enjoying being interviewed.
    I had 2 rounds of interviews. Each lasted about 3 hours, but the time flew by. It took a couple of months to finally get an offer, but I was beyond excited when I did.

Interview Questions

• They asked about a lot of hypothetical situations that could happen while scheduling and hosting candidates.   3 Answers

Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in May 2015.

Interview

Was reached out to by email, brought in for coffee, followed up with phone call, scheduled an all-day portfolio review followed by 6 interviews.

After being told I'd receive a followup next day, I didn't receive any responses for a week (after multiple email exchanges previously) finally found out there wasn't a fit over phone call.

*Tip for Airbnb: You're good at making candidates feel like "they are a part of the family" up to the end of the interviews AKA Being a good "host". You're terrible at anything that happens thereafter (non-communicative) and you leave candidates feeling forgotten about.

Work on more transparent communication between candidates and the recruiting team, and you'll increase your acceptance rate.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was great! From the second I wanted into the door everyone made me feel welcome, which then got me even more excited to be here.
    I was giving a tour of the building and was able to learn about the office and what kind of environment it is to work here.

Interview Questions

• I forgot the questions but they made me think out of the box...not your typical tell me about your last job sort of questions.   1 Answer

Media Productions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got connected to Airbnb through an industry contact. I had a phone call with the hiring manager and a call with talent before I was brought in for 2 interviews: a technical interview and a culture fit interview. I believe the entire process happened in less than a month.

Interview Questions

• There is an interview exclusively around Airbnb's core values and culture. These values can be found online.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a pleasant process. Had one phone screen and being brought onsite next week. On site interview consists of 6 parts, one for past project deep dive, two front-end questions, one data structure and two cultural interviews.

What really got me is the data structure part. I probably spend too much time on it so I couldn't finish it in time. After being rejected, I found the question is actually is one of the top 10 popular questions on leetcode, and being categorized as hard. I think if you are not a leetcoder, solving it in time does have difficulty.

I am not comfortable after knowing that question is from leetcode, but I think that's what everybody is doing right now : pick a question from leetcode, hire an engineer that is good at leetcode.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter who scheduled an initial interview with me. An hour before she said "an unexpected, yet essential, meeting" popped up on her calendar and she needed to reschedule for 3 hours later. I cordially agreed and waited for 40 minutes and received no call.

I would have called directly to leave a message, but she didn't even leave her phone number in her email signature. I sent an email in response but still haven't received anything back. The experience was so unprofessional and rather rude for such a great company. Very unexpected and disappointing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Recruiters at Airbnb are the most unprofessional bunch of people. They don't reply to emails for weeks and don't attend you during onsite. In my onsite, one interviewer didn't come to interview room on time, the other was busy doing her work after giving me a question. I have interviewed at big/small all kind of companies, have offers from them but this was the worst experience so far. All my respect for the company gone down in drain.
    They publicize their "core values" so much, one of which is "Be a host." They were the worst host an interview candidate can get.

Interview Questions

• One thing I would like to remove from the Airbnb experience.   Answer Question

Design Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process is fast and the sourcer was very friendly. When brought onsite for my interview, the experience vastly changed. The first recruiter showed little no emotion or interest in speaking with me and spoke in a tone so quiet I could barely hear him. It felt like he was purposefully acting a certain way to test my personality which felt like a dishonest tactic. The second recruiter focused on my culture fit and asked meaningful questions - it was a positive experience. The third interview was very strange. They asked me to show them how I work on a day to day basis. The recruiter passed her computer to me and told me to show her. It didn't make any sense for the role I was applying for. Had I been a Designer, Engineer, or Writer, I would understand the need to conduct a skills test. Recruiting requires excellent communication and relationship building skills and a variety of soft skills that simply cant be tested this way. That round felt like a waste of time. For my final round, the last recruiter again seemed very unenthusiastic and unfriendly. By this time, I felt like the team had already made their decision has it showed on the last interviewers face.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

there were 6 interviews total. 2 technical, 2 cultural and 2 were functional - showing projects. there is a lot to be found about airbnb in general on the internet, so it's easy to be prepared for the cultural interview and understand what they are looking for. I must say i also enjoyed preparing for the technical aspect of the interview, reading about the coding practices at Airbnb, their technical choices, etc.
    it went as follows: functional, lunch, technical, functional, cultural, technical, cultural. I was a bit caught off guard by the last cultural interview because taking lunch into account I assumed I had done my 6 interviews.
    technical interviews weren't very difficult, recruiters were trying to help, like spotting typos vs watching you fail. I completed the interviews feeling I had solved the problems posed. One was handling some front end interaction in javascript, the other was more about objects, context, functions, etc.
    cultural interviews were conversational. I really feel i hit it off on the first one, for the second one I was a bit tired and I didn't start so strong but we had a good talk though.
    functional interviews were me showing projects. Those were personal projects I was happy with in terms of interest and execution.

In the end i didn't get an offer and didn't know why. recruiter delayed in giving answer, and couldn't offer feedback.

that was really disappointing, because I don't know where i failed or what i could have done differently.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Got the initial phone screen through referral. I had very good conversation with the recruiter. After a week, it is a tech phone interview. I was asked to write and run code on a online editor. You can choose your programming language. I used JavaScript. I was not able to finish it with 45 mins especially we spend almost 15 mins to explain and understand the question.

Interview Questions

• Provide a set of positive integers (an array of integers). Each integer represent number of nights user request on Airbnb.com. If you are a host, you need to design and implement an algorithm to find out the maximum number a nights you can accommodate. The constrain is that you have to reserve at least one day between each request, so that you have time to clean the room.

Example:
      1) Input: [1, 2, 3] ===> output: 4, because you will pick 1 and 3
      2) input: [5, 1, 2, 6] ===> output: 11, because you will pick 5 and 6
      3) input: [5, 1, 2, 6, 20, 2] ===> output: 27, because you will pick 5, 2, 20   9 Answers