Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Spoke to a Recruiter and a phone screen was scheduled. The recruiter provided a link to sample phone screen questions. Questions there were good practice for the type of questions to expect (except 1). The phone screen was with an international person. After some chit chat, we got to Coderpad to do the problem. I was unable to fully code the solution in time, although I was almost there. Using Java is not a good language for timed solutions, because it's so verbose. Afterwards, I quickly got a rejection email from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Implement a circular buffer using an array.   2 Answers

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

one phone call and onsite, presentation of several projects to design team. talked about design challenge, went over some questions, made some jokes, etc. got to know the team, 4 more interviews (one on one) after lunch. tour of airbnb.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was very quick and efficient. The recruiter contacted and set up a first round phone interview the following week. I heard back from them 3-4 days later to set up a second round with with hiring manager. The interview with the hiring manager was not easy, very specific to my resume, and very product focused -- not finance focused.

Anonymous Engineer Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I can only describe my interview process with Airbnb's recruiter as a constant struggle.

My HR Rep initially reached out to me to ask for an brief phone screen. She failed to call me. I emailed her about 30 minutes after her slip-up. She gives me the cold shoulder. She emailed me two weeks later with this statement: "Apologies - an unexpected, yet essential, meeting popped up". The sad thing is, if you read a few other interview reviews here on Glassdoor, this seems to be (almost word-for-word) a pathetic excuse for Airbnb to basically say to their prospective candidates, "YEAH, we didn't care to do our jobs or to be hospitable for two weeks, but it's all cool".

Anyway.... So she asks me for another chance to speak on the phone. Another week goes by and I speak with her on the phone. She says the next step would be for me to speak over the phone with the director of the department. Another week goes by and the director failed to call me. I immediately emailed my recruiter. She tells me that the director has called my phone and has left a voice message. Of course that wasn't true - I never had a phone call and never had any message. He likely misdialed. I insist I have not received any phone calls and that I need to speak to him about the position immediately. My recruiter yet again gives me the cold shoulder.

At this point, I am so annoyed with my recruiter's apathetic attitude and her lack of communication that I go out of my way to actually GUESS (correctly) the department director's Airbnb email address. I write the director that my recruiter basically is useless and that he can call me anytime at his convenience. Not more than 5 hours later the director calls me. He is thrilled to speak to me and is excited to meet me in person. The next step was to meet in person, but unfortunately, I had to go through my lame recruiter. So naturally, this process was drawn out for a week and a half before hearing from her.

Another week goes by and I meet the director at Airbnb's HQ. The interview itself was actually very relaxed. It felt like we were chatting more than we were interviewing. So in that sense, Airbnb's interview (not the interviewing process, but specifically the interview) was quite enjoyable. The director is elated at my experience and at my personality and wants to push me through to the next step, which is to speak with six staff members to see if I fit into Airbnb's culture.

Another week goes by.

I reenter Airbnb's HQ and speak with six different staff members. They were all friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me. The interviews were relaxed. I was asked questions relating to my personality: What's your favorite movie? What super hero would you be if you could be one? What fundraiser would you love to start? If you could give a TED Talk, what subject would you preach? Why do you want to work for Airbnb? Given the nature of my title, no one person on staff seemed to know anything technical regarding the position. In that sense, I was only asked very vague questions related to the position: "Uh, what kind of experience do you have working with Mac platforms?"

After 3 hours and six interviews, I unexpectedly find myself meeting with my doorknob of a recruiter. I had to swallow my pride and not confront her about how disrespectful she has been and how impossible it has been to work with her. She tells me the salary for the position and tells me she will call me the next day to tell me if I were going to be hired, or not. She promised me she would call - in either case, definitively the next day - with a final answer.

Again, and for the third time, she failed to call me. A few days go by and I email her asking to speak with her. She emails me a week later. "Apologies! We are meeting with staff midweek to determine if you are a good fit."

She somehow manages to drag out our lackluster communication another week before sending me a pathetic, "Thanks for your interest in the position, but unfortunately, you had slightly less experience that other candidates."

What experience was I lacking? She couldn't tell me. Naturally.

TL;DR
    Sorry for the rant, but ultimately, the interviews themselves were easy and relaxed, but due to unprofessional staff, my interview process was a constant, miserable battle for communication which remarkably enough was somehow dragged out for over 60 days.

Interview Questions

• If you could give a TED Talk, on any topic, what subject would you preach to Airbnb employees?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

I was contacted by an external recruiter and then referred to an internal recruiter at Airbnb. I had two phone interviews, but no one showed up for either of them. It was followed up by apologetic emails and asking to reschedule, but more than once? I don't think so. Just super unprofessional regardless if you are in startup mode and can't manage your schedule adequately.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

The interview process started with a couple phone interviews with recruiter and hiring manager. My first set of onsite interviews were with peers and superiors within the organization of the role I was applying to. The second set of onsite interviews were primarily focused on assessing my fit with Airbnb's "Core Values", with interviewers from outside of my direct function.

Interview Questions

• What's one skill that you'd be willing to teach your coworkers?   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

a basic phone interview Process, 45 mins. the question is let me to parse a equipted csv string, It is very simple one. I do it in 20 mins. But it have bugs at first.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in the Portland office. Once they select your resume, you do a video interview with specific questions. If they want to interview you post-video review, you attend a large group interview at their offices. It's suppooooosed to be cool with like snacks and Kombucha, whatnot. All of that pretense just made it feel kind of gross. Stop pretending you're hosting me in some rad city. You're interviewing me for a job I don't even think I want. Anyhow, it had a very "drink the koolaid" feel. The guy leading it had a camp counselor vibe, complete with dumb group icebreakers. For a company that's supposed to be innovative, the process sucked. After the icebreakers, which felt kind of church-youth-group-esque, they split you into smaller groups where you have to act out phone calls from pretend customers who were actually the interviewers. I bombed this section. I just couldn't muster up the ability to pretend with these folks. And, the whole "customer is always right" thing they put out feels dated. I didn't speak in tongues at church camp and I'm not going to verbally tongue this pretend customer either. I'm not buying what you're selling. After that, you do a quick solo interview with some random employee. I aced this part, because it was just chatting with a cool dude with good hair about interesting ideas. But, I also felt less pressure, because I knew how badly I'd done at the phone thing that I wouldn't get a job there. At the end, you fill out a survey about your interview experience. I wrote basically the same thing here as there, which I doubt helped my chances. The weird thing is that even if you're not applying for the customer service position, you have to do the pretend phone call bs. I have a lot of friends who've applied and some who work there, and they all did that part. A lot of them genuinely love working at airbnb, although one of them seems to really just dig the free meals they provide.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any innovative ideas for us at airbnb (during one-on-one portion)   1 Answer

Measurement Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and involved complete with an assignment. Multiple steps. Multiple trips out there. When it seemed like you were at the finish line more steps were added in. They were unclear on expectations of the role and what success would look like. Between disciplines there were conflicting needs and expectations.

Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (Kansas City, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

Paper work, drug test, location, what my job is, who im meeting, what time to be there, showed me around and meet the other employees. Manager did my paper work, showed me the tools i will be using, and also told me who is going to be my trainer.