Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (Kansas City, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

Paper work, drug test, location, what my job is, who im meeting, what time to be there, showed me around and meet the other employees. Manager did my paper work, showed me the tools i will be using, and also told me who is going to be my trainer.

Internal Hospitality Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted my online application. Received an email with instructions to do an online interview where I answered several questions while videoing myself. Was then invited into the office for an in-person interview with 3 different current employees. The interview was very comfortable (not to mention the office space is gorgeous!).

Interview Questions

• Please introduce yourself. Describe your career path over the last few years and how you ended up where you are. Record a 2-minute video.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

The process was very extensive. Several phone screens, 8 in person interviews followed by more phone conversations. Everyone is super smart and very personable. Most of the interviews felt more like conversations. The ones that did not feel like conversations were due to the interviewer having a grudge for something. Perhaps they had a bad interview at a point in their life and they are passing it on. They weren't tough in a professional way but tough in a "I was talked down to so you will be as well." Those experiences really put a bad light on who makes up Airbnb.

The core value questions are absurd. If their purpose is to be random, they do that. They do not give an opportunity to communicate any values of any sort.

Interview Questions

• What would you say at Airbnb's funeral?
      What was the last gift you gave?
      What is your advice to the founders?
      What was your last risk?
      What does success look like for this position (which was odd since there was no job description provided and I got grouped into a position I did not apply for).   1 Answer

Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I went through a couple of "sort-of interviews" before the final onsite interview. I first met with the design director and a lead designer casually at an event during an industry conference. Both were incredibly kind and made me feel very comfortable. A week or so later, I met with two designers and a recruiter at the campus where I showed some work and had more casual conversation. Finally, I had a more formal portfolio review on campus followed by some one-on-one interviews with various designers, design managers, PMs, Customer Service reps, etc. This entire process felt very seamless. The recruiters were incredibly diligent in following up, the designers were very informal but always asked very relevant questions, the non-designers provided great insight into metrics, how product teams work, etc. Overall, it was a very enjoyable interviewing process and I knew afterwards that I definitely wanted in if they were to make an offer. The culture of Airbnb is very apparent in the way they interview candidates.

Interview Questions

• There were a couple of questions regarding certain design decisions in my portfolio review. They were some specifics about type choice, color choice, aesthetic v. usability, etc.   1 Answer

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in January 2015.

Interview

Here is an overview of how the hiring process works – There are five steps:
    1) Submit a resume through the Airbnb job site
    2) Complete the next level of questions through their interviewing partner, HireArt - It requires a webcam and microphone, and takes about 45 minutes. The sooner you do your HireArt interview the better, as they will be reviewing these on a rolling basis.

3) If they like what they see from your full application, they will invite you to one of their group Hiring Meetups in San Francisco
    4) If you inspire them at the Meetup, they will schedule you for a follow up interview either over Skype or in person.
    5) If you impress them through Step 4 then they will want to extend an offer to have you join the Airbnb.
    The Meetup involved five parts:
    1) First there were welcome and introductions. Each person said their name and talked a couple minutes about their most memorial Airbnb experience. People who had never used Airbnb spoke about other people they knew who had used the service. There were about 28 people at the Meet-up, including about 8 Airbnb employees. The Meet-up was held at the Ian Ross Gallery in SOMA district.
    2) We then split up into three groups of about 6-8 people and did role-playing exercises. The employees gave you scenarios of real customer service phone calls. For example, someone calls Airbnb complaining that their Airbnb rental is infested with cockroaches and you’re supposed to respond to the caller. There is no right answer to the role-playing. You don’t have to quote Airbnb policy. They just want you to act the way a customer service representative should act: be confident, polite and understanding.
    3) We then did a problem solving exercise. Each group was given a box of plastic toy parts for building models, sort of like Legos. Then, one-by-one, each member of your group had to walk into a backroom and memorize an abstract model made out of these toy parts. You have 30 seconds to memorize what the model looks like, and then you have about one minute to communicate what the model looks like to your group so that you’re group can try to replicate the model. You are not allowed to touch the model when you are describing it to your group. This exercise is used to see how you interact with your team and how well you communicate information. All the groups did pretty well in this exercise.
    4) Employees talked more about the job and we had some Q&A time.
    5) Then we had one-one interviews with employees. We were supposed to have two one-on-one interviews, but we only had time to do one one-on-one interview.
    Everyone filled out an availability form for a Skype interview, which would be held the following week. However, only people who did well in the Meet-up were going to be contacted for Skype interviews.

Interview Questions

• *Have you ever developed a meaningful or lasting friendship with someone who you meant briefly in an informal setting, like riding on the bus etc.
      *What has been your best and worst customer service experience?
      *If you could teach or give a TED talk, what subject would you talk about?
      *What was the biggest risk you’re ever taken?
      *What was the favorite place you’re ever traveled to?
      *What feature would you improve on the Airbnb website?   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screens with two recruiters, two engineers and a manager. Then onsite was three technical interviews, two cultural fit interviews and a manager. Everyone was nice and it seemed like a good environment.

Interview Questions

• phone1: Java and hive.
      phone2: Sql questions, joins, aggregates, sub queries, windowing.
      onsite1: sql and map reduce
      onsite2: datawarehouse modeling
      onsite3: string handling, complex fizz buzz kind of thing.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online in January and got contacted in March. The whole process took 3-4 weeks. I think the arrangement of the process is not very well organized, but it is understandable since they are moving so fast with their growth. The recruiter called me once at 7pm and replying email at night is quite common.
    The take home data challenge take me around 8 hours to finish for both the analysis and the presentation while they said it should be around 3-4 hours to finish. I think this is a sign why I failed the onsite data challenge. The onsite data challenge is only 4 hours...I don't even have time... I think this is also what they are testing you about. Since their pace is so fast, they need you to get things done or at least report some useful insights given a short time.
    Got rejected since I don't have much experience and didn't do the onsite data challenge very well.

Interview Questions

• For the onsite data challenge, a question was asked regarding my practice of removing the missing values. What if it causes bias? What will you do then?   12 Answers

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Very lengthy. Core values interview weeds out many good applicants. You go through a series of interviews, some written, some skype. There was a hiring meetup towards the end of the process as well.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about yourself and what drives you. Common questions about times you went above and beyond or exemplified some of their key attributes. They also ask about the times that you've succeeded or failed in previous roles with different companies.   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Looking back on it now, things were pretty crazy that day but I didn't even notice because the coordinator helping me that day was there every time I might have needed something. Behind the scenes things were falling apart but to me I had no idea and each interviewer was gracious and spent enough time with me. I had two onsite interviews, one about an hour and a half long and the other 2 and a half. Word of advice: Be yourself, no matter how goofy you want to be. I said I wanted to be somewhere that I could "let my freak flag fly" and that definitely didn't count against me. Whether you're an introvert or extrovert, being warm and friendly is universally understood here.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with unlimited time and money?   1 Answer

Trust & Safety Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

From initial application to hiring took 8 months. After submitting my application and resume, I was asked to record a series of videos to submit. Then there was a group interview or "hiring meetup". Finally there was a Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• What advice would you give the founders?   1 Answer
    • What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?   1 Answer