Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb in May 2014.

Interview

First step was to submit a resume and cover letter. Took about a month to hear back. Next step was an online interview process through Hireart which included making a few videos and writing a few responses to questions. This took a few hours, though it says it should only take 40 min. You can re-record videos if you'd like. The next step was a group meet up where we introduced ourselves, role-played, and did team building exercises and there was a 1 on 1 interview. By the end of the week we were told whether we made it to the final step, a Skype interview, or not.

Interview Questions

• Roleplaying: 1. A group of guests are locked out of a place they have booked and cannot contact the host. What do you say to them? 2. A person is staying in a place where a dog has defecated on their dress, what do you do? The host denies any wrong doing, what do you say? 3. A host has 4 people staying at their place but believes their guests may have more people than that and is worried their neighbors will know and isn't happy. What do you do?   2 Answers

Food and Beverage Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

First phone screen - good, easy
    Second phone appt - Recruiter was late to meeting, had to reschedule last minute
    Third step: Invited for on-site interview. Nice tour of space, kitchen, met some of the team members
    Fourth Step: Recruiter calls me at 9:30pm panicked that he dropped the ball and forgot to send me a writing exercise that is required ... with less than 48 hours to complete it. He was very apologetic and I rose to the occasion submitting it on time.

Interview Questions

• Please address entire company in an email and let them know why we are discontinuing ordering Unicorn on the menu (most interesting question I've ever been asked in an interview - a fun challenge!   Answer Question

Culinary Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

Initial contact was within 2 weeks of submitting resume. Phone interview followed by face to face interviews 1 week later. Met with various people who asked typical interview questions. Young interviewers dropped the F bomb during interviews and were very casual. Cool atmosphere. Met with each interviewer for approx 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions. What's the biggest risk you ever took? Tell me something about yourself I wouldn't know.   Answer Question
    • Typical questions. What's the biggest mistake you've ever made. When was the last time you made someone happy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online by first sending in my resume. A few days later was sent a link to HireArt to complete a 7 question interview that had video portions. It was easy enough but took me forever because I kept re-recording. Waited over a month and finally got an invite to the group interview aka hire meetup. There were about 25 or so other candidates and about 8-10 current Airbnb employees. The process took a few hours, was less scary than I'd worked myself for, and involved some role-playing, survival team-building scenarios, and short one-on-one interviews. The next day I was asked to do a Skype interview with someone in Dublin. Still waiting to hear back but I think it went very well and felt natural. Basically, Airbnb staff members are really chill, respectful, and easy to talk to. Research company culture and policies. A billion bonus points if you've used the site as a guest or host and like to travel.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't "difficult" per se, but they asked me if I could have any job in the world tomorrow what it would be. Unexpected and potentially tricky!   2 Answers

Negotiation

**still waiting to hear back, but I know salary is set in stone and is competitive!**

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Interview

Filled out application and took almost a month to hear anything. Did a video interview on HireArt and then it took another month just to get a rejection email. Would have be nice to have heard sooner rather than later that I would not even get an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't that difficult. Some answers just required more than the 1 minute time limit   Answer Question

CX Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

I first applied to Airbnb at the end of March 2014. The recruitment/interview process was very long but for a good reason. They really want to get to know you and make sure that you'll be a great fit for the company.

First there was a generic application submission where you upload your resume and cover letter. Within a few days, I was contacted to take part in the Hireart video interview where you record responses to customer service-related questions and about the website. Really dig in and make sure you know the website before you start this! After I submitted my hire art video, I waited over a month to hear back. I definitely thought that ship had sailed after it being a few weeks but I was invited to the group interview in mid-May. This was a group of about 20 candidates with about 10 current Airbnb employees present. It was very casual and included typical "tell me about yourself"/fun fact group sharing activities. Ultimately, they want to find someone who can get along with just about anyone and is a great people person. Smile and try to introduce yourself to as many people as possible (not just the airbnb recruiting staff!). I met some amazing candidates at the hiring meet up. Most importantly, I recommend listening and remembering the names of some key recruiters or current employees you connected with during the meet-up. When I was waiting to hear back for the Skype interviews and it had been awhile, it was nice to be able to reach out to someone to inquire what the timeline was for the rest of the hiring process.

Insider Tip: Dress casual and remember during the group/team exercises that being a leader doesn't mean that you need to be talking the most. Often times the most important leadership quality is the ability to listen to your teammates. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• What is something you would change about the website?   1 Answer

Trust & Safety Investigator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

From when I initially had sent my cover letter and resume, to when I attended the group interview, it had taken just about a month. I give you all fair warning that even though they may take interest in you, they really do prefer that you know the website, and that you have either been a previous Host or Guest. I believe that my experience and background were a great match. But because I have never used Airbnb before, this is why I feel that I was rejected for the job position. Also, I had to travel quite far for the interview; however, I was only notified two days before it. This seemed to me like poor preparation on the part of the recruiters.

CX Interview

Interview

Online, Group Sessions, Free food

Interview Questions

• They just are testing your culture and if you can handle being in a fraternity.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They do not negotiate. They underpay you like everyone else because "you're lucky to work for such an innovative company like us"

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

As you may have read from other responses, it's quite straight forward. The recruiting team values your time and the hiring process goes by quick (although it seemed like an eternity for me). Actually reading these responses is what prepared me for the interview process. They'll first invite you to a Hireart interview. You will be asked to submit a few video interview questions and answer example role play questions. If you pass that phase, then they'll invite you to a Hiring Meetup (which is a group interview & surprisingly fun). At the Hiring Meetup (20 people) you will be asked to introduce yourself and share a fun fact. Then you will split into groups and role play real Airbnb scenarios. The interviewers mention it's okay to don't know the answer to certain policies. What they are really looking for is CREATIVITY and see how well you problem solve under stress. After the role playing, there is a group work activity and one-on-one interviews (normal interview questions). If you stand out enough from the group, they will invite you to 1-2 more interviews in the next few days via Skype. After that they'll let you know if you got it or not. Be prepared to LOVE Airbnb and try to see what Airbnb means to you. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• What stands you out from the rest of the group?
      Success stories from the past?
      If you had to teach me a certain skill, what would it be?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

A couple of phone screens, followed by 3 or 4 technical interviews, and a culture fit interview with a higher-up. After the offer, I was invited to hang out with the team at a Friday office party. I did definitely get a good impression of the company through the interview process, but ultimately declined the offer and took the chance of working on a younger product.

Interview Questions

• There was a question related to topological sort problems   Answer Question